Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing grants when pregnant - Mod note post 40

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Honestly, I don't see you getting more money. They cut out travel money for sick country kids to get to the children's hospitals in Dublin, so I cant see them giving you more than the 150.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Sorry reread the thread, don't have a relieving officer (my OH perhaps?!!) so highly unlikely I'll get a penny, or a cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

. They cut out travel money for sick country kids to get to the children's hospitals in Dublin, so I cant see them giving you more than the 150.

never heard this one being cut - don't have sick kids thank god, but that just disgusts me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

I 'member when I was a lone parent back in early 90's, getting said grant for clothing AND a small grant to cover hospital items you needed, AND a grant for a cot and buggy!
    I would dare to say that due to the recession its likely that these grants are a lot smaller, does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭kirstyor123

BengaLover wrote: »
    I 'member when I was a lone parent back in early 90's, getting said grant for clothing AND a small grant to cover hospital items you needed, AND a grant for a cot and buggy!
    I would dare to say that due to the recession its likely that these grants are a lot smaller, does anyone know?

Yes these grants are all still available to single mothers on social welfare.
    It has changed a bit with the cot and buggy grant though..

Back in the 90's you got a cheque for the cot and buggy and you could spend it however you see fit, like if you had the buggy and cot already, but now you cant you have to get an estimate for the buggy and the cot and they only give you the cheque to spend in that exact shop..

Other than that nothing has really changed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

i had already bought buggy and cot as didn't no about grants so cwo gave me cheque for myself as I told her I had got a lend of money off my mam. I got 260 in total. Didn't know about the clothing grant but I was very neat so just bought maternity jeans in new look about €15, a few pairs of leggings and a few long t-shirts. And a velour tracksuit which was like heaven so soft on bump

Also that comment about Icandy prams wtf like. Maybe she bought it second hand a lot of people sell them after a few moments. I have a Icandy Apple and I love it, I saved up a bit every week and bought it in sale. I didn't notice any signs saying you couldn't buy one if you were on the dole. Oh and by the way just before you all start I couldn't work while I was preg as I had very bad morning sickness at the start, had just been let go from my job. Then when I was able to work I was showing and who would employ you, missed out on maternity benefit as I hadn't got 1 current stamp. Also back in work now, so able to pay back the money I owed the state

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

bulmersgal wrote: »
    i had already bought buggy and cot as didn't no about grants so cwo gave me cheque for myself as I told her I had got a lend of money off my mam. I got 260 in total. Didn't know about the clothing grant but I was very neat so just bought maternity jeans in new look about €15, a few pairs of leggings and a few long t-shirts. And a velour tracksuit which was like heaven so soft on bump

Also that comment about Icandy prams wtf like. Maybe she bought it second hand a lot of people sell them after a few moments. I have a Icandy Apple and I love it, I saved up a bit every week and bought it in sale. I didn't notice any signs saying you couldn't buy one if you were on the dole. Oh and by the way just before you all start I couldn't work while I was preg as I had very bad morning sickness at the start, had just been let go from my job. Then when I was able to work I was showing and who would employ you, missed out on maternity benefit as I hadn't got 1 current stamp. Also back in work now, so able to pay back the money I owed the state

Don't mind people begrudging you because you're walking around with an expensive buggy. You could have had a generous family member that bought it for you. Nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Also that comment about Icandy prams wtf like. Maybe she bought it second hand a lot of people sell them after a few moments. I have a Icandy Apple and I love it, I saved up a bit every week and bought it in sale. I didn't notice any signs saying you couldn't buy one if you were on the dole.

Also back in work now, so able to pay back the money I owed the state

Fair play to you Bulmersgal for doing that. And you're obviously delighted to be back working and earning for yourself. However, the reason I posted the example of the student with the iCandy was to raise a question: should people opt for the most expensive buggy just because 'the social' is paying for it?

And yes, it is begrudgery if you want to call it that. I looked at that buggy and while it was gorgeous, I couldn't justify spending that amount of money on it. I looked at my bank balance and decided that the €400 difference between in and the one I bought was better spent elsewhere.

I'm with you on the maternity clothes. I was fairly massive towards the end but thanks mostly to New Look I doubt I spent more than €150 for my entire pregnancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

god almighty, i went around like an awful tinker when i was in the late stages of pregnancy :o trackie b's and big t-shirts and didn't give a toss! i didn't buy one "maternity" piece of clothing. i was just happy if i was comfy :D

i've just so many friends who have bought the cheap buggy and then have gone through 3/4 buggy's no joke. I made a decision to go for one that suited my needs, good for walking, loads of space to carry shopping as no car, comfy for baby, suited my height etc.

That girl would of only got €130 like myself so would of had to pay the rest herself.

• Advertisement

you have to get an estimate for the buggy and the cot and they only give you the cheque to spend in that exact shop..
    That girl would of only got €130 like myself so would of had to pay the rest herself.

So, which is it?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭PopUp

deemark wrote: »
    So, which is it?:confused:

Bulmersgal explained why they gave her a cheque in post #67, why are you jumping down her throat?

For what it's worth my aunt had a lot of pricey baby gear (not an iCandy but similar) that she gave away to charity last year when she no longer needed it. There are a lot of ways people can get one.

PopUp wrote: »
    Bulmersgal explained why they gave her a cheque in post #67, why are you jumping down her throat?

How was I jumping down her throat?! I was asking a question and the last time I checked that was ok on boards. This icon:confused:means 'confused', not 'jumping down throat'.

Bulmersgal said she got €130 towards the price of it and explained why and implied that this was usual:

but another poster said that you can get the full buggy paid for.

no as far as I no they won't pay for the full buggy unless its under €130. I found out the information on rollercoaster, a lot of people use the grant say if there washing machine breaks.

Maybe before the big budget last year they did but I got grant in June and I only got €130 towards pram and €130 towards cot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I don't know the answer myself, but for crying out loud, would someone not have just answered the woman's question rather than trying to be all bloody high and mighty and giving out about social welfare, or the people who benefit from it.

OP, the internet is full of people on very high horses who like to spout their completely retarded logic and opinions.

If you have a question on something like this, might I suggest you contact your local welfare officer, or Citizens Information.

Bloody hell. She only asked a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Dublin_Gunner I think if you climbed down off your own high horse and read through the thread you'd find people have answered her question as much as they could.

The point being there is no definitive answer and the only way she will find out is by going to her local social welfare and asking them directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Civil posting people please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner I think if you climbed down off your own high horse and read through the thread you'd find people have answered her question as much as they could.

The point being there is no definitive answer and the only way she will find out is by going to her local social welfare and asking them directly.

My post was mostly directed towards the first page or 2 of this thread, where the OP's question could have been answered but people decided to go on a rant and rave instead.

Yes, I'm aware the question has since been answered (sort of), but it shouldn't have happened after numerous posts moaning about people claiming benefits on social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

I have actually got quite a number of interviews :D
    Obviously didnt get the job because im showing but i dont care im still trying and will still continue to look when baby is born ( ill have no bump so better chance in one of them actually giving me a job lol )

wear a scarf over the bump, thats what i had to do, got a job at 5 months pregnant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭analbeads

no as far as I no they won't pay for the full buggy unless its under €130. I found out the information on rollercoaster, a lot of people use the grant say if there washing machine breaks.

Maybe before the big budget last year they did but I got grant in June and I only got €130 towards pram and €130 towards cot.

when i got it back in feb 2009 it was €200 for buggy (vouchler for local toy/baby equipment shop) and €200 for cot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

hi I live in co.Meath
    my SWO gave me money when I was 6months pregnant (around 150 Euro) and I went to charity shop and got just bigger sizes clothes, and they were perfect.
    also when my baby was born I brough to SWO two print outs with prices of cot and pram I would like to get. and I was granted 320 Euro (I think 350 was max)
    just go an apply on the yellow/white form for clothing grant
    and when you will deliver baby apply for cot and pram (bring quotations with you)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Don't mind people begrudging you because you're walking around with an expensive buggy. You could have had a generous family member that bought it for you. Nothing wrong with that.

Sure I have a €400 buggy, €335 cot, and countless other expensive items and living on SW.

The Buggy was a present off his nana, he was her 1st grandchild, plus she didn't like anything smaller (she's a tad fussy!!!!)
    The cot she paid for but I paid her back €20 a week until it was paid for.
    The rest were presents off his childless godfather!

We were lucky, but not everyone is!

I was told by the hospital Social Worker that I was entitled to these grants. But I never followed through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I don't know the answer myself, but for crying out loud, would someone not have just answered the woman's question rather than trying to be all bloody high and mighty and giving out about social welfare, or the people who benefit from it.

OP, the internet is full of people on very high horses who like to spout their completely retarded logic and opinions.

If you have a question on something like this, might I suggest you contact your local welfare officer, or Citizens Information.

Bloody hell. She only asked a question.

With respect, I think those who are on their 'high horses' feel it's the OPs attitude that is most annoying in her threads. It's this 'I'm eligible for x, y and z...' and the comment about a few years back, when you could have spent the money wherever you liked, even if you already had your buggy and cot, but nowadays you actually have to spend the money on the cot and buggy - she says that like it's a negative thing.

I know a couple of people like the OP who grab any and every 'entitlement' that's out there - I'm not saying it's wrong. I was on sw when my son was very young and like the previous poster, was blessed that I received some great presents of cot/buggy etc, so I didn't apply for any of the grants. And I fought long and hard to get OFF SW so that I could give my kid a better life!!!!! There are those however, who give all single parents (mums in particular) that negative stereotype of being money grabbers with little or no interest in ever returning to work, just being very happy to get every grant going.

So like I said, it's her attitude thats p!ssing people off around here as far as I can see.

Fittle wrote: »
    With respect, I think those who are on their 'high horses' feel it's the OPs attitude that is most annoying in her threads. It's this 'I'm eligible for x, y and z...' and the comment about a few years back, when you could have spent the money wherever you liked, even if you already had your buggy and cot, but nowadays you actually have to spend the money on the cot and buggy - she says that like it's a negative thing.

I know a couple of people like the OP who grab any and every 'entitlement' that's out there - I'm not saying it's wrong. I was on sw when my son was very young and like the previous poster, was blessed that I received some great presents of cot/buggy etc, so I didn't apply for any of the grants. And I fought long and hard to get OFF SW so that I could give my kid a better life!!!!! There are those however, who give all single parents (mums in particular) that negative stereotype of being money grabbers with little or no interest in ever returning to work, just being very happy to get every grant going.

So like I said, it's her attitude thats p!ssing people off around here as far as I can see.

Maybe you should take a read back on your comment and see who has the real attitude... Yes im trying to see what im entitled to but whats wrong with that ? Unlike others i have no family that have the money to go out and buy me a buggy or a cot so yes i worry about money because that babys coming no matter what and these things are very expensive...And about the comment about the grant for cot and buggy i wasnt saying it like it was a negative thing either, the girl asked how it has changed with these grants since the 90's and i told her that was all....Of course it doesnt bother me because thats what the money will be going on anyway..............

I am certainly not a money grabber and i certainly do not want to stay on sw after my baby is born.. i have been looking for work and at 6 months pregnant i have gotten some interviews but no luck because i am obviously showing..To say that i have no interest in ever returning to work and just trying to grab every grant out there is ridiculous!!! How can you possibly put up a post like that when you dont even know me or know how hard i have tried to get back into work, you ought to be ashamed of yourself i am no teenage pregnant money grabber who intends to stay on sw!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Was a bit brutal in buying clothes at the start to be honest because at 3 months i had no bump so the stuff i bought wasnt that big.

Now at six months all that stuff i bought is getting too small and if i am entitled to it then damn sure im going to get it!!

With respect kirstyor123 the above statement did make you sound like a money grabber.

astra2000 wrote: »
    With respect kirstyor123 the above statement did make you sound like a money grabber.

Maybe but that sure isnt the case. If i can get the grants then i will because i do need them as i said before i have no family to buy prezzies like buggy or cot for me and its worrying about where this money is coming from as i am on my own.. I dont have bf that makes a good income that can help either.. and if it was up to me id have a job and would rather not go near my swo ever for anything but as i said ive been to interviews and i am showing so have had no call backs maybe best to wait till baby is born to go out and make my own money for better life for my baby

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sud1

I had a baby at 20 yrs of age..now 33..I had very little money but i did not go to a sw officer for money for clothes..i had 2 pants 1 black 1 brown both elasticated waist and about 4 jumpers these did me for the entire pregnancy..I cant understand how you would need a grant to buy clothes for this short period of time..go to dunnes, pennies or a thrift shop...there are people who are in much worse situations than you and need the money for keeping a house over their families head..just because your "entitled" does not mean you have to or should take it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Look the grants are there for those who need them and the SW officer decides if someone does or not, they have decided that her situations is dire enough. That is the system, if you dont' like it talk to your T.D. she has done nothing wrong what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

OP I hope you get the grant. did you say you were an unemployed single mother? you should get on the housing list too..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

you ought to be ashamed of yourself i am no teenage pregnant money grabber who intends to stay on sw!!!

wow nice one, you give out about people making assumptions about you and then you lay down this bad boy.

i was pregnant at 16, i had no idea of these grants at the time, my maternity clothes consisted of three t-shirts in a size ten as opposed to my usual 8, a pair of maternity jeans and my school uniform because i stayed in school so i wouldnt be a "teenage pregnant money grabber who intends to stay on sw".

i used my birthday and x-mas money of that year to buy a buggy and i got a second hand cot off a family member. just because i was a teenager does not mean i was a money grabber.

while recieving SW to get me through college, i worked every saturday (while getting my degree btw) to ensure that i could pay for my daughters medical bills, which included many overnight hospital stays, prescriptions, gp visits, all the rest that comes hand in hand with having a child with an undiagnosable condition that they didnt take seriously at first because her parents were young,
    i did not avail of the medical card purely because i was entitled.

i applied only for assistance that was needed, the bare minimum, to get me through college so i could actually provide for her myself.

im not attacking you and im not saying that you shouldnt get the grant, im just explaining that not all teenage parents are money grabbers. im also suggesting you dont make generalisations that you condemned others on this thread for making about you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement