Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Fiaich evening courses

Options
  • 28-10-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone on here done any night classes in O'Fiaich Institute? Thinking of taking a journalism one in the spring, wanted to see general opinion of the place, courses etc....

Thanks
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Currently doing a web design course. I have no complaints, time flies and everything is well explained. No problems with breaks if you want a coffee or anything, well worth it.

If your a fulltime student you can get a discount(if you have proof i.e. a letter)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭NeuroticMonkey

Hi,
    Thanks for reply. I've a question regarding assignments, assessment etc...how do you find getting them done, are they well structured/relevant? will you have end exams as well?

Sorry for all the questions...the course I'm thinking of taking has a 400€ price tag so don't wanna make the wrong decision. I emailed the college with my questions but they haven't got back to me...i found the website very uninformative but maybe that's just me...I'm a bit "technologically challenged"!! :rolleyes:

If your a fulltime student you can get a discount(if you have proof i.e. a letter)[/QUOTE]

Nah, not a full-time student. Just finished 4 years of college, unemployed, probably gonna head back to college next year for a Master's and I'd like to take this opportunity to do an evening class in something I've always had an interest in ....

Thanks for your info etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

You are better off ringing them. There will be an open night were you sign up and all will be explained. My course doesnt consist of assignments etc but that's not to say others dontm there will be a final exam though. You are really better off ringing them imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Sorry for all the questions...the course I'm thinking of taking has a 400€ price tag so don't wanna make the wrong decision

What course are you looking to do? on the website they all seem to be at most €120

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

I done the floor and wall tiling course last year and what a waste of time it was, a waste of 10 evenings and a waste of €120...it is a course designed for a child, the teacher turned up 20 mins late everytime and had the attitude he didnt give a damn all the time...in fact i doubt he is even a tiler as i had to correct him a few times on what he was telling the class and im no expert!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭NeuroticMonkey

frostie500 wrote: »
    What course are you looking to do? on the website they all seem to be at most €120

Was looking at the Writing Skills in Journalism Certificate course...as far as I can see it costs €250 (dunno where I got €400 from!!).

From the website:

"Component Certificates FETAC Level 5

76. COMMUNICATIONS & WORK EXPERIENCE W20008 & G20001
    77. MEDICAL SECRETARIAL TERMINOLOGY ** L20636
    **NB It is expected that students taking this module have already undertaken Level 5
    Shorthand or Audio Transcription together with Typewriting, Word Processing Level 5
    78. OCCUPATIONAL FIRST AID, €200, 7pm - 9pm D20188
    79. WRITING SKILLS FOR JOURNALISM E20078
    80. UNDERSTANDING SPECIAL NEEDS D20187
    Component Certificate can be used to build up the 8 modules required for a FETAC award.

The modules take place between 6.30pm - 9.30pm on the day indicated.

Cost per Module: €250"

It's still a lot of money when you're on the SW so I wanna make the right choice.

Advertisement