Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing User Account From Domain

Options
  • 28-10-2010 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I brought my home custom built PC into work about a year ago and was using it for development in there.

I have brought it home and, ideally, wish to remove my user account from the companies domain.

My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

I know I could re-install Windows 7 but the amount of development tools and applications on it would take ages to be re-configured.

If anyone knows of a safe and easy way I'd be delighted.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

Just found this one on MS support:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Looks like this will do what I need.. :) If anyone has any better ways let me know.

Thanks

Ok, that did not work.

However, I have found that there is an option within:
    Control Panel -> System -> Network IDs

There is an option here to select "home or workgroup". It will the ask you to restart and when you restart there will be no trace of the domain on your windows account.

Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Make sure you know the details of the local account with admin access before removing from domain.

I made a copy of user account data. After I removed the domain I could not log in using that old domain account. I kept getting "Invalid Password".

I booted to safe mode and created a new user with admin privileges and copied the data in their. It's working fine.

I am going to try and reset the old domain user accounts windows password using the Open Source Linux NTPASSWORD recovery CD which has worked for me many times before.

I haven't lost any data so I would just like to get the original account working as a proof of concept I suppose ;)

Advertisement