Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel i5 or i7..."which one should i buy"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Do you need a pocket supercomputer?
    Do you use CPU-intensive programs that can utilize HyperThreading?
    Do you have money to burn?

If your answer to all three is YES!! then the i7 is for you. On the other hand if you want a very powerful mid-range gaming rig stick with the i5 quads and save both money and electricity (even the LGA1156 i7 quads use more juice than an i5 quad despite having the same 95W TDP, primarily due to HyperThreading). If you need to use CPU-heavy apps lots and you know they don't like HT then go for either a i5 quad (slightly more gaming-oriented) or an AM3 X6 Phenom2 hexacore (slightly more applications-oriented).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Solitaire wrote: »
    Do you need a pocket supercomputer?
    Do you use CPU-intensive programs that can utilize HyperThreading?
    Do you have money to burn?

If your answer to all three is YES!! then the i7 is for you. On the other hand if you want a very powerful mid-range gaming rig stick with the i5 quads and save both money and electricity (even the LGA1156 i7 quads use more juice than an i5 quad despite having the same 95W TDP, primarily due to HyperThreading). If you need to use CPU-heavy apps lots and you know they don't like HT then go for either a i5 quad (slightly more gaming-oriented) or an AM3 X6 Phenom2 hexacore (slightly more applications-oriented).
    My answer is:
    No
    NO
    NO..;)

What Im After is something that will play any game I throw at it..
    Over clockable....
    Quiet..ie: notura NH D14 cpu cooler...after market gpu cooler(coolmaster maybe)
    silverstone sst-fto2b case..
    I dont mind paying good money for a quality product so the budget is flexable..

Any suggestions on a good quality set up would be appreciated
    Rgds
    Dwight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

wouldnt buy anything, Sandy Bridge is out in January

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

lmimmfn wrote: »
    wouldnt buy anything, Sandy Bridge is out in January

He wants to Overclock though, heard that for that you need to buy a special version of the processor that costs more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

youd spend your whole life waiting for the next big thing in computers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

id just go for an i7 930 or 950 with a gigabyte ud3r motherboard will last you for a long time

indough wrote: »
    youd spend your whole life waiting for the next big thing in computers

I just spend my whole life waiting for a life:eek:

id just go for an i7 930 or 950 with a gigabyte ud3r motherboard will last you for a long time

Your dead right...thats what it will be then...
    Better to have too much then not enough me thinks;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

dwighet wrote: »

If you're in the "not enough" area there's always overclocking ;)

While the only cure for "too much" is knocking off banks :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

dwighet wrote: »

Obligatory "better to be looking at it than looking for it" :o

While the only cure for "too much" is knocking off banks :pac:

You wont get much out of them these days....
    Its more like there knocking us off these days:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i look at things a little different. in the longterm we all want to have a powerfull modern computer. this means selling on your old to make a new build every 2-3 years, as its also the cheapest way to keep up with technology. i usually sell my old for around 450 and buy my new build for around 600 so the cost is approx 50e a year. i generally build the best bang for the buck and keep in mind resale value in 2 -3 years time. i find its a good mindset and we have 3 heavy pc users here so we all keep up with technology relatively cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

The i7's are much better in theory... the reality is the vast majority of apps won't take advantage of hyperthreading properly so you'd be wasting your moolah.

Also, if you forget to turn HyperThreading off at the right time apps can lose performance... including games allergic to HT shedding FPS like a stone :eek::o

i just picked up a b-grade p6x58d-e and i7-930 bundle for 350 on dabs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Also, if you forget to turn HyperThreading off at the right time apps can lose performance... including games allergic to HT shedding FPS like a stone :eek::o

tbh it's very rare that it's noticeable. A small penalty all right but you're only talking a few percent in those that do. I've never had any problems leaving it on.

arma 2 used to crucify me for it but most other things were okay

Advertisement