Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

its christmas time .........

Options
  • 28-10-2010 10:35pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

hi All

am looking for a good mincemeat recipe decided to make my own this year

also how difficult is it to get suet?

thanks

IB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Suet is quite easy to get,the major supermarkets always seem to have the Atora brand anyways.
    Have used some for my xmas puddings which are made.
    Have also made 2 christmas cakes 2day, just the icing and decorating to do!
    Sorry I can't help with a mincemeat reicepe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Suet is quite easy to get,the major supermarkets always seem to have the Atora brand anyways.
    Have used some for my xmas puddings which are made.
    Have also made 2 christmas cakes 2day, just the icing and decorating to do!
    Sorry I can't help with a mincemeat reicepe
    Can we have the recipes?!! please:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Zollie

I've been a lurker here for a while but decided to join up to give you my mincemeat recipe. It is well worth making your own and is very easy. This makes a lot of mincemeat so you may need to scale it down.

1lb cooking apples (after peeling and coring)
    1lb raisins
    1lb sultanas
    1lb currants (I usually use half currants half sultanas)
    1lb brown sugar
    4ozs cherries
    8ozs mixed peel
    3ozs chopped suet
    2 lemons
    2ozs chopped almonds
    1 1/2 tsp mixed spice
    6 tbsp brandy/rum/whiskey

Grate apples. Juice and zest the lemons. Mince the remaining fruit. Mix all ingredients together.
    Cover and stir every day for 10 days. I sometimes add some extra alcohol if the mix is too dry.
    After 10 days it is ready to be used or put in sterilised jars for storing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/mincemeat/home-made-christmas-mincemeat.html

You cant beat a bit of delia!

Also, if you're not a vegetarian this recipe is perfect for using "real suet". If you have a good butcher shop nearby you buy your meat from regularly, he should shread it and throw it in for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

If i make mincemeat about a week ahead of when i want to make the mince pies, would it be ok to store it in a plastic container in the firdge or does it have to be in jars?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

http://historicalfoods.com/7469/mincemeat-recipes-for-mince-pies/

:D I was just looking at this site for same question! Better get making for next year!!

well guess ill be raiding the house for empty jars so....or maybe a trip to ikea and make the mincemeat net week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

You're not going to buy jars,are you??

nah im sure ill find some round the house somewhere, will only be heading to ikea as a last resort

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Zollie

You need to leave it in a bowl and stir once a day for 10 days before putting into jars. I usually leave it in a bowl on the counter and cover with a towel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 WexfordGirl

I use Nigella's cranberry mincemeat - its really fruity and light and not too sweet. Got loads of compliments last year and doesnt require stirring for 10 days etc - ready straight away

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/cranberrystuddedminc_90619

Advertisement