Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Review Request] Real Sword Type 97

• 28-10-2010 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭

Looking for some feedback on the Real Sword Type 97 if anyone has one please.

I'm a fan of the bullpup design but dont like the AUG mags and the FAMAS is well... maybe (unique mag also):rolleyes:.

Although the finish and external build quality of the G&G L85 was superb I have been disappointed with the performance (random head melting lockups in semi auto but ok on full).
    Also, my experience with the L85 makes me think twice about getting the G&G G2010 and as I have a clatter of M4 mags I'd like a bullpup gun which uses stanag/M4 type mags.

I recently bought a Real Sword Type 56 and am very impressed with it and am now considering the Real Sword Type 97 (and ditching the L85A2).

I havent seen any on the field and dont think there's many/any out there (so I wont hold my breath) but any words of wisdom/experience very welcome.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

Very big thread on Arnies about it, from reading it sounds like an excellent AEG.

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=180446

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 626 ✭✭✭G-spec

Defenderdude did you ever get the type 97 in the end?

Lots on Arnies about them but just wondering if anyone in Ireland has any experience with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Give up Gar - just buy the tavor!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

I got the chance to work on one of these last week.It was 97-b version.I didn't first like the look of these but after using it for a bit I could not recommended it enough.The external quality is top notch and not a budge anywhere.It without doubt is one of the some ergonomic aegs Iv held.It is perfectly balanced .I don't like the battery that has to be used but iv found a small king arms lipo that fits into the grip.The trigger is activated by a flat rod that reaches back to the gearbox and i found when reassembling if this is not done properly ull have trigger problems.The gearbox its self it rock solid and a breeze to work on.All internal parts are of decent quality apart from the spring guide,I found a bit cheap but realsword do a upgraded bearing spring guide thats not to expensive and a doddle to change with the quick change spring system..I got a rps of between 11-14 as with all realsword using a 9.6v battery.As for accuracy Its as good as any other high end aeg.

if you like the look of it and are thinking of getting it you wont be dissapointed.It may seem strage to handle at the start (it was for me) but its a great aeg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

Had a T97B myself and it was built like the proverbial brick out house, dare I say it systema have nothing on them build wise.

If you're sniffing about one G-spec get the full size not the carbine 'B'. The reason I sold my 97B was purely down to the lack of a front hand guard (if you do only CQB the B would be perfect but if you're out doors you'll miss the front handguard). Quick spring change isn't as quick as you'd expect as you have to take the gearbox out if memory serves me correctly. Battery is a pain but when you get used to it you can install and remove it in a flash, and you can just leave it in and charge it in situ.

Problems with it are just really the battery (its a pain until you get used to it when it becomes no worse than using a EMOD stock) and reaffixing the front grip because of aligning the trigger rod (same as with the battery once you do it a few time you can do it with your eyes closed and as fast as you would a M4's handguard).

Plus points are its a beast, you actually could hammer nails into a wall with it and it wouldn't bat an eyelid, it melts into your shoulder like an AUG and just feels fantastic to use, good rate of fire out of the box on an 8.4v (apparently the 97B has a faster motor than the 97) and accurate too. Lots of bits in the gear box are non standard but they are cheap and easy to find online.

Customisability is virtually zero as the only rail on it is the Chinese scope mount on the carry handle (there's a RIS adapter for it so you can mount teh scopez). Some peeps on arnies have retro fitted a rail or two on the handguard of the rifle version but I believe they were beaten to death with their own shoes for being nonbelievers, and rightly so.

One oddity I did notice was the RS mids not being well liked by my T97B without a slight mod (the one that came with it worked perfectly oddly), strangely enough they worked in every other aeg I have. What I did notice (and RS admit this) it doesn't do like TM mids (wouldn't even lock in place IIRC), but loved G&P and adored MAG plastic mids, PMAGs don't fit but EMAGs should too.

Any other questions my vague ramblings haven't answered just shout.

Edit: Forgot to say that Prommy 6.03mm TBs (not sure of their ASH barrels) are a bloody tight fit in the outer barrel.

• Advertisement

Had a T97B myself and it was built like the proverbial brick out house, dare I say it systema have nothing on them build wise.

If you're sniffing about one G-spec get the full size not the carbine 'B'. The reason I sold my 97B was purely down to the lack of a front hand guard (if you do only CQB the B would be perfect but if you're out doors you'll miss the front handguard). Quick spring change isn't as quick as you'd expect as you have to take the gearbox out if memory serves me correctly. Battery is a pain but when you get used to it you can install and remove it in a flash, and you can just leave it in and charge it in situ.

Problems with it are just really the battery (its a pain until you get used to it when it becomes no worse than using a EMOD stock) and reaffixing the front grip because of aligning the trigger rod (same as with the battery once you do it a few time you can do it with your eyes closed and as fast as you would a M4's handguard).

Plus points are its a beast, you actually could hammer nails into a wall with it and it wouldn't bat an eyelid, it melts into your shoulder like an AUG and just feels fantastic to use, good rate of fire out of the box on an 8.4v (apparently the 97B has a faster motor than the 97) and accurate too. Lots of bits in the gear box are non standard but they are cheap and easy to find online.

Customisability is virtually zero as the only rail on it is the Chinese scope mount on the carry handle (there's a RIS adapter for it so you can mount teh scopez). Some peeps on arnies have retro fitted a rail or two on the handguard of the rifle version but I believe they were beaten to death with their own shoes for being nonbelievers, and rightly so.

One oddity I did notice was the RS mids not being well liked by my T97B without a slight mod (the one that came with it worked perfectly oddly), strangely enough they worked in every other aeg I have. What I did notice (and RS admit this) it doesn't do like TM mids (wouldn't even lock in place IIRC), but loved G&P and adored MAG plastic mids, PMAGs don't fit but EMAGs should too.

Any other questions my vague ramblings haven't answered just shout.
    Im pretty sure the aeg I was working on was the one you sold

Thanks Chuck. What did you think of the controls, did you find the selector switch or mag release to be in an awkward place or is it some thing you get used to. It's the smaller B type I'm interested in and will use it just for cqb.

Apparently you can easily fit a decent 7.4 lipo into the B type as well.

G-spec wrote: »
    Thanks Chuck. What did you think of the controls, did you find the selector switch or mag release to be in an awkward place or is it some thing you get used to. It's the smaller B type I'm interested in and will use it just for cqb.

Apparently you can easily fit a decent 7.4 lipo into the B type as well.

The controls were 'interesting' to begin with but you get used to them quickly enough - having used AR/AK's almost exclusively (well ignoring a short stint with an AUG and P90) having the selector on the stock was a bit confusing like trying to shoot someone only to discover its on safe! Assuming you're right handed the fire selector is easy to use (once you remember its not above you thumb), the mag release is a but more difficult until you RTFM and do it the way you're supposed to (sort of cradle the gun if memory serves me correctly, I think theres a pdf or jpeg on the RS site that shows the way to do it).

Another thing to mention is that the stock inner barrel is just short of a M4 one, it goes as far as the end of the outer barrel where as a M4 size one will go as far as the apex of the cone of the flash hider (it doesn't stick out and you can just about see the end of it when you look into the cone).

As for battery space you'll get a 9.6v NiMh in there and a world of lipos fit too apparently (never tried one myself), hell some apparently fit in the pistol grip so you never have to take off the hand guard to change them (have a nosy on Arnies and you should find more info about it).

One thing about the balance is that on the full size its centered on the pistol grip but with the B its pushed about an inch to the rear of the pistol grip but your real problem for single handed action is the weight of the bloody thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Chuck - you legend you! Still doesn't make me want one ... now a Real Sword Type 56-1 however - that's a different story!

Chuck - you legend you! Still doesn't make me want one ... now a Real Sword Type 56-1 however - that's a different story!

Kev, Feck you commie mofo!:p

• Advertisement

Well the damage is done....it's on the way!

Don't be mad with me Kev ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

;)

Nice one.
    Where did you order it from?
    Still looking for one myself - importing seems to be the only option.

They are quite expensive but the exchange rate is ok at the mo.

Best of luck with it! :D

Wouldn't buy one of them as you could get a very nasty rash from the communism on it, best get a T97 and bask in its pure capitalist glow.

Well done that man!

Nice one.

Seem to be the only way to get our grubbies on nice things these day :(

Just had a nosy at the big 4 HK shops and while they all have them priced at $450 uncompany seem to be the only one with the full size T97 in stock and WGC have it down as discontinued!!!

Have you tried realsword themselves ? Iv bought parts for my type 56-2 straight from them cheaper then some sites.

Nice one.

Thanks defenderdude, they are pricey but I'm hoping it's worth it.

I've ordered it from Landwarrior Airsoft in the UK. Works out about the same as getting it from eHobby

Thanks defenderdude, they are pricey but I'm hoping it's worth it.

I've ordered it from Landwarrior Airsoft in the UK. Works out about the same as getting it from eHobby

They're good guys to deal with, and it'll be over here faster than from HK which is a bonus (they used DPD/Interlink Express last time I got an AEG off them).

They're good guys to deal with, and it'll be over here faster than from HK which is a bonus (they used DPD/Interlink Express last time I got an AEG off them).

Yeah, I ordered something from them a little while back, very good to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭darman28

Been looking into the type 97 myself lately, from what I read they look like a high quality, unique AEG.The only issues I've hear with it are the battery & the mag well.The battery issue doesn't seem like a major problem, the issue that would concern me is the the mag well problem.Is this still a problem with with the tupe 97 or have real sword fixed it ?? A mod to the mag well was mentioned in posts before, any chance some body could tell me more about it please??

darman28 wrote: »
    Been looking into the type 97 myself lately, from what I read they look like a high quality, unique AEG.The only issues I've hear with it are the battery & the mag well.The battery issue doesn't seem like a major problem, the issue that would concern me is the the mag well problem.Is this still a problem with with the tupe 97 or have real sword fixed it ?? A mod to the mag well was mentioned in posts before, any chance some body could tell me more about it please??

Regarding the quality - excellent build and the only real gripe I have is the battery - lipo is the way to go for sure.
    I have the RS 56-1 also and they are both superb guns. Looking for the 97B next... they never appealed to me until I managed to get the 97 itself.

What sort of issue was the mag well have you come across?
    The only issue I found with it was the difficulty to remove mags - tricky mag release button position and technique when used to M4's/AK's. Not unlike the L85 - practice makes perfect.
    I've also tried several different types of mags through it without problems.

Cheers for the reply defenderdude, I see you finally got 1.The issue some have with the type 97 was the mag would fall out of it.that was from a review on youtube with a american lad but also seem it somewhere else but then other reviews like urself say the mag well is fine & no issues with mags.But chuck the buck mentioned something about a mod needed for the type 97B or something.

• Advertisement

Still plan on getting a type 97 for meself, still putting funds aside for it.Wanted to ask afew more questions if thats cool. What size lipo batteries are ye using in it & what space is available? ie the space inside of the pistol grip area & the lenght? Did any of ye put tight bore barrels in? I see the barrel lenght is 485mm if I'm correct. What sizes did ye go for? Heard of a lad getting a 509mm & cutting it down to size.Also any other upgrades ye have done since just out of interest? Any body done a DIY job & put rails on the foregrip area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

Still plan on getting a type 97 for meself, still putting funds aside for it.Wanted to ask afew more questions if thats cool. What size lipo batteries are ye using in it & what space is available? ie the space inside of the pistol grip area & the lenght? Did any of ye put tight bore barrels in? I see the barrel lenght is 485mm if I'm correct. What sizes did ye go for? Heard of a lad getting a 509mm & cutting it down to size.Also any other upgrades ye have done since just out of interest? Any body done a DIY job & put rails on the foregrip area?
    trying to decide between this and a tar21 myself; its really a question of quality over looks for me! keep us updated as im interested at how much it will be to import one

dinnybyrne wrote: »
    trying to decide between this and a tar21 myself; its really a question of quality over looks for me! keep us updated as im interested at how much it will be to import one
    They were on sale on safarasoftair for €240 not so long ago with €30 postage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

damagegt wrote: »
    They were on sale on safarasoftair for €240 not so long ago with €30 postage.
    Grrr sold out.nice find tho cheers!

I have the 97b and the type 56-2.All Rs come with ttb.The spacing is quite tight.Ill have a look for you when Im home and see what lipos Im using.

Sorry meant to reply here.

I'm not using lipo's yet - still yet to buy a good charger and some lipo's.
    Thermo recommended Hobbyking.com for batteries - huge selection. I just need to measure the size and hope they fit.
    The regular Type 97 battery is a bit of a pain to put in and out and best charged in the gun - being just an 8.4V 1600mAh - it's not really got the juice for a days use on semi...

I just have the gun at stock. Bought a few extra RS bits - piston, wiring harness, gears etc - mostly just because I like to have spares just in case (I'd buy another 97 for spares except they're so difficult to get hold of).:rolleyes:

I've contacted RS directly and found them very helpful and friendly. I was going to buy some more spares etc earlier this year but a family bereavement recalibrated my priorities and I've just not gotten round to it.

From having a huge AEG collection - I've cut it right back to a handful of bits - couple of VFC's,STAR, TM's and two Real Sword's (97 and 56-1).

I have to say that the Real Sword is in a class of it's own. I love it. I'd like to get the 97B at some stage - just for the hell of it. I remember seeing the Safarasoftair sale at least 6 months ago (probably longer tho) and they were all sold out - I think they were just clearing stock. Never been back in stock either.

The gun isn't for everyone - but it's certainly unusual and not seen often in the field. If you ever wanna closer look/inspection - please feel free to drop me a pm and I'm sure we can organise to meet at a site / try out.
    They're a lot of money new and worth while checking out (if possible) before you decide to spend the hard earned cash.

I'll update if/when I get my finger outta me hole and get some lipo's sorted for it... :rolleyes::o

Hi damagegt just wondering did you ever get around to having a looking at what size lipos you are using in your type 97??
    Also wondering did you do any upgrades yourself to your type 97?Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Seller159

hi do realsword sell airsoftguns and ship them too you? i was on the site couldnt see any buy now or anything like that so was just woundering does anyone know?

Hi all, finally got around to ordering a Real Sword Type 97 for myself, 2 years on hey. The only upgrade i am doing for now is a ordereg a steel spring guide to replace the stock plastic one in the gearbox. From what ive read they dont need to much upgrading, I read somewhere the wiring could do with being upgraded but anyway the priority right now is batteries & Mags which I want to sort out & research over the next week or 2. So just wondering whats size, type of batteries you all ended up going with in the end? Preferably 7.4 v Lipos, whats the highest mah batteries you fitted in? Also what brand of mags did you find worked best in the type 97? Any help appreciated & thanks for looking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Frogface

Hi all, finally got around to ordering a Real Sword Type 97 for myself, 2 years on hey. The only upgrade i am doing for now is a ordereg a steel spring guide to replace the stock plastic one in the gearbox. From what ive read they dont need to much upgrading, I read somewhere the wiring could do with being upgraded but anyway the priority right now is batteries & Mags which I want to sort out & research over the next week or 2. So just wondering whats size, type of batteries you all ended up going with in the end? Preferably 7.4 v Lipos, whats the highest mah batteries you fitted in? Also what brand of mags did you find worked best in the type 97? Any help appreciated & thanks for looking

Its been awhile since I picked up the type 97 and i cant seem to find the batteries.I found it quite picky with mags and after been so hit and miss with different types I just stuck with rs mags.I bought my batteries from hobbie king and it was small enough to fit in the pistol grip.I also had one was flat and fitted flat in the body.They were both Turnigy batteries.Sorry I cant be more help.

Advertisement