Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

used computer parts

Options
  • 28-10-2010 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Im looking for some old computer parts for a project im working on at the minute. Im in Galway county. was hoping for as little cost as possible or free even:rolleyes:. Any computer recycling places around or anything where can i get for cheap.

Please help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

What parts are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭supersparkz

Hard disks motherboards and power supplies mostly.

Most if not all recycling centres will have a fit if you try to take HDDs as they are paranoid about the data that might be still on them.

What socket motherboards etc are you looking for? Sorry to say I sent a trailer load of these to recycling in the last month.

Well i made the mistake of offering to help fix and maybe upgrade a few computers for the local school principal and there is little to feckall money in budget for this.

From what i can see it mostly P3 and 4's. And come seriously clicking hdd's.

This is the source of my peculiar request. Thanks anyway Munster

I have our local school under my wing, 18 classroom PCs + staff PCs and printers, the other day while talking to a teacher I started a machine up and while it booted fine I heard the tick of HDD death so I had to whip it away for a HDD lobotomy. Be aware that the licensing for school of M$ products is at a very favourable rate something like €5 a seat for MS Office for the year and unlimited OS COAs (although I am unsure if this is included in the €5 or if you have to pay again)

PM me if you want any help / suggestions / a shoulder to cry on...

• Advertisement

There will be many tears:(:(, and none of joy probably:p

Yeah, I hear ya. I had to add 14 extra network points, clean every machine (physically & logically), cable tidy and sort all the PC stations and power points out. Still only getting it in shape, thank God for logmein, installed it on every machine and so am able to remote in to check them should there be any issues. Does the school have a DSL broadband connection from the NCTE?

This is my 4444th post on boards... Where is me award?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If I don't get one for 20,000 non-postcount posts... :p

Advertisement