Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i need to cut these plants down?

Options
  • 28-10-2010 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

Ive got some perennials in my garden that I think I have to cut back for the winter. Can somebody confirm this and how much i should cut back?

1.Rhubarb
    2.Jerusalem Artichokes
    3.Comfrey

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭nudist

nudist wrote: »
    Ive got some perennials in my garden that I think I have to cut back for the winter. Can somebody confirm this and how much i should cut back?

1.Rhubarb
    2.Jerusalem Artichokes
    3.Comfrey

Thanks

Bump Bump

Why is no one replying-is it because of my username-im not really a nudist-it was just a name that was available :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheFatMan

Hi Nudist

the rhubard you can break off the stems and cover the crown with straw to protect it over the winter. Not sure about the other 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

I wouldn't rush to cut back the Rhubarb as we are due a cold winter and the leaves protect the crown of the stool. The other two are entirely subterranean and so can be cut to the floor.

PS: the Comfrey leaves are a great compost additive, or can be left to overwinter in a barrel of water to provide a liquid feed in spring.

I wouldn't rush to cut back the Rhubarb as we are due a cold winter and the leaves protect the crown of the stool. The other two are entirely subterranean and so can be cut to the floor.

PS: the Comfrey leaves are a great compost additive, or can be left to overwinter in a barrel of water to provide a liquid feed in spring.

I was thinking of maybe letting the rhurbarb die down its leaves-doesent this let the food in the leaves go back into the roots?

Yes i know comfrey tea is very useful thing,ive also heard that a mulch made from dead comfrey leaves does wonders for improving topsoil. Since the two comfrey plants were made just this year from root cuttings i think ill refrain from cutting down the leaves-i want the plants to establish a decent root system first.

The Jerusalem artichokes are starting to die down-leaves are turning yellow and brown-i assume this a normal reaction to frost/colder weather? Would it be safe to remove all the leaves and prune leaving about 30cm on all stems already there?

nudist wrote: »
    I was thinking of maybe letting the rhurbarb die down its leaves-doesent this let the food in the leaves go back into the roots?

Yes i know comfrey tea is very useful thing,ive also heard that a mulch made from dead comfrey leaves does wonders for improving topsoil. Since the two comfrey plants were made just this year from root cuttings i think ill refrain from cutting down the leaves-i want the plants to establish a decent root system first.

The Jerusalem artichokes are starting to die down-leaves are turning yellow and brown-i assume this a normal reaction to frost/colder weather? Would it be safe to remove all the leaves and prune leaving about 30cm on all stems already there?

Bump #sigh#

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

[QUOTE=nudist;68854268letting the rhurbarb die down its leaves-doesent this let the food in the leaves go back into the roots?

The Jerusalem artichokes prune leaving about 30cm on all stems already there?[/QUOTE]

I would allow the rhurburb to die back naturally for this reason.

Sorry No experience of Jerusalem artichokes .... But for most herbaceous plants this would be exceptable ... Open to correction of course... :-)

Advertisement