Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats a good squash racquet?

• 28-10-2010 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

hi folks,

Looking to buy a new squash racquet, around the 120-140g?

im a beginner at this game, but want something that will hopefully last,

whats a good place to buy one, online or in a shop, surely theyllbe good sales on somewhere.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭dizzyg

Are you in Dublin?

Go into the pro shop in Fitzwilliam and ask them to recommend one for you. Most of the guys are squash players and know their stuff inside out. Base your decision on whether you need help with getting power in your shot, or more touch at the front of the court - you might need a head-heavy or head-light racket. That sort of thing.

They're usually as cheap as anything online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

The one thing I would say is dont skimp too much on it. I bought 2 in a half price sale (I know I know) at the same time in Elverys 1 for €30 and 1 for €15.
    The €30 racquet is grand for me, I've swapped the grip on it but the head and strings are still fine (despite getting cracked off the wall floor and my oponent on several occasions :))

The €15 however, each time you hit the ball a vibration goes through the racquet that has your toes tingling, and after a game you arm is very sore.

Now this might be specific to that racquet, I doubt it though.

As with most things in life.. you get what you pay for ;)

If you're half-serious and want to get a racket that will suit your game, i'd expect to pay around €50. For that you'll get a couple of options, racketwise. Again, if you go somewhere like Fitz they'll be able to sort you with something suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Sagat06 wrote: »
    The one thing I would say is dont skimp too much on it. I bought 2 in a half price sale (I know I know) at the same time in Elverys 1 for €30 and 1 for €15.
    The €30 racquet is grand for me, I've swapped the grip on it but the head and strings are still fine (despite getting cracked off the wall floor and my oponent on several occasions :))

The €15 however, each time you hit the ball a vibration goes through the racquet that has your toes tingling, and after a game you arm is very sore.

Now this might be specific to that racquet, I doubt it though.

Definately agree about cheap racquets. They are not worth it. I bought one as a beginner and had the same problem with vibration. I would recommend paying the extra few quid getting a half decent one.

Do all new squash racquest come with cheap strings??

• Advertisement

Cheap rackets come with cheap strings. They will stretch and become loose over time.

I play with one of the higher-end dunlop rackets and I find the strings pretty good. Saying that, once it needs restringing I always go for tecnifibre x one's.

How much does it cose to restring a racquet? The type of racquet I have is the Wilson NCode n120.

Depends where you go and what strings you choose - hardwearing or slightly thiner that have more touch.

In a bog-standard sports shop you might not get an option, whereas one of the pro shops such as Fitz or Westwood, you will.

In Fitz the tecnifibre strings are €22ish, but you can get slightly cheaper.

Advertisement