Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding Advice

Options
  • 29-10-2010 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a 260ltr aquarium. I have about 5/6 mollies/guppies, a pleco, a few tetras and a gourami.
    Almost every pet shop i ask in gives me different advice on the amounts to feed them. I am using the tetramin flakes.
    I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks,

Pudz.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

It is easy enough to overfeed if you're not careful so as a general rule I add a small amount of food at first and watch how long it takes to be fully eaten. Still using small amounts I repeat this a few times, taking about two to three minutes in total. My fish tend to gobble everything up at first then slow down so they are eating little or nothing after a minute or two. I think it works well enough for my setup anyway and you get a good feel of how much food to give after a short while.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

I agree with cdb, it is so easy to overfeed. I have very low stocking in a 300 litre and literally feed a pinch about 3 or 4 times a day of New Life Spectrum. When I feed flake I really crush it up first to make small pieces.

Feed less than you think you should and keep an eye on things, your fish will easily survive a week or two without any food being put in to the tank so you won't be starving them. If there is excessive algae growth it could be a sign of extra nutrients in the water from food that's not been eaten, also watch for bits of food that don't get eaten.

And don't worry that everyone gives you different advice as everyone has their own way. You'll find yours, it just takes a bit of practice. And of course, keep an eye on your parameters.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Pudzianowski

Thanks for that, i'll give it a go.

Advertisement