Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kings of Leon - Slane Castle - 28 May 2011 - *No tickets sales/swaps*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

Few different radio stations saying Muse & Foo Fighters to support at slane, which would be savage!

I've also heard something about Kasabian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Few different radio stations saying Muse & Foo Fighters to support at slane, which would be savage!

If ever I saw a post clearly just looking for a reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

keane2097 wrote: »
    I suppose I could have left out the "teens" part.

The part about people being too cool to listen to anything that's been on the radio is the main point.

The same type of people who don't attend Slane.

I don't think it's entirely the "obscure crowd" having a go at a mainstream band, there's a valid criticism of KOL here, it's clear that gig announcements were timed in such a way that the band and promoter would stand to make as much money as possible. It's pretty disgusting when bands get involved in business strategies aimed at milking as much money from their fans as possible.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

If true there is no way they could afford KOL,Muse and Foo Fighters

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

smokedeels wrote: »

I don't think it's entirely the "obscure crowd" having a go at a mainstream band, there's a valid criticism of KOL here, it's clear that gig announcements were timed in such a way that the band and promoter would stand to make as much money as possible.

Yeah that criticism is fair enough. Tbh I personally think it's pretty naive - bands/promoters have to make their money and a lot of people complaining about it probably download albums for free.

The stuff about KoL actually being a shít band, not big enough for Slane and all that - especially from the sort of droolers looking for the likes of the Foo Fighters and Muse(!) instead - is what I was talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

smokedeels wrote: »

I don't think it's entirely the "obscure crowd" having a go at a mainstream band, there's a valid criticism of KOL here, it's clear that gig announcements were timed in such a way that the band and promoter would stand to make as much money as possible. It's pretty disgusting when bands get involved in business strategies aimed at milking as much money from their fans as possible.

MCD are the ones calling the shots, and will be the ones making the most money I would say. What good band dont milk their fans by the way? If people like them they will sell records and sell out concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

lol GTFO

oh to be young...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Today FM iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 andyrew5000

I think a lot of peoples problems with Kings of Leon comes from the fact that in the first half of the decade they, along with bands like The Strokes and The White Stripes, were a refreshing change to the type of bands that were dominating the charts at the time, your limp bizkits and linkin parks and nickelbanks etc wheres in the last couple of year they have essentially become just another nickelback. As a long time fan it just saddens me to see the once great exciting band become so stale and boring while at the same time being told by people who only heard of them twenty minutes ago how amazing they are. In interviews one senses a reluctance with the level of successes they have achieved and then you look at the stunt they pulled today with the o2 gig and you cant help but think every step of it is calculated and planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

lol GTFO

Less of that please.

I'm as surprised as anyone that this became a "day one sell out". I'm sure an abundance of tickets will be released over time before the gig, probably when support acts are announced.

Usually the "intimate" gig is announced before the massive outdoor concert, which acts as the gauge for demand, and not the other way round.

An O2 gig would always be a fast sell out so, hey, let's build scarcity off the "big" event (Slane) instead. More scarcity = increased perceived value of tickets = more sold tickets.

It's poor form imo.

• Advertisement

In interviews one senses a reluctance with the level of successes they have achieved and then you look at the stunt they pulled today with the o2 gig and you cant help but think every step of it is calculated and planned.

Totally agree with you on that one. I saw an interview recently with the band and they totally give the impression that they are playing for the music and not for the money but I have to say after todays actions it is very disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I don't believe KOL are in it just for the music anymore. Their actions have indicated otherwise.
    Mc Love wrote: »
    Today FM iirc
    Do you know what show it was on or even what day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

nommm wrote: »
    I don't believe KOL are in it just for the music anymore. Their actions have indicated otherwise.

Do you know what show it was on or even what day?

They were on Tues. Caleb didnt say anything about support. Ian Dempsey said he heard it was muse and foo fighters. probably from this thread!

I asked Paul McLoone on his FB page and he said its feasible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

What do the sections on the tickets mean?
    Is this just the entrance you go through........or do you have to stay in the section during the concert.....me and my friends all have different sections so the latter would suck

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

LeahBaby wrote: »
    They were on Tues. Caleb didnt say anything about support. Ian Dempsey said he heard it was muse and foo fighters. probably from this thread!

Thanks I had a feeling it was something like that.

Mc Love wrote: »
    I asked Paul McLoone on his FB page and he said its feasible

He probably knows as much as you and I.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

If it is Muse supporting, I NEED to go. I didn't get tickets as I hadn't heard who was supporting and don't have a lot of interest in Kings of Leon, but would enjoy it for the support act!! When do we find out who is definitely supporting? I don't want to go on rumours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I said they wouldn't sell all 80,000 tickets and they would hold back a lot of them until after. Look at it from a business and marketing point of view. Kings of Leon have obviously been scheduled to play both of these gigs for a long time.... That's how these things have to be planned. Do you think Caleb said this morning , oh gee our irish fans are so dedicated. They bought all 80,000 tickets for our gig in under an hour. Why don't i just ring the O2 and tell them we will play there too. Slane being " sold out " is a media and promoters thing as now people will feel they " need " to go to the o2 gig. That will sell out as Kings could sell out a 16,000 capacity venue. Then in early 2011 tickets suddenly go back on for slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

they have also had 100,000 people there before so they could sell another 20,000 or evan more if they want to make it bigger than ever (tis the 30th anniversary after all)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 celt 22

SDTimeout wrote: »
    I said they wouldn't sell all 80,000 tickets and they would hold back a lot of them until after. Look at it from a business and marketing point of view. Kings of Leon have obviously been scheduled to play both of these gigs for a long time.... That's how these things have to be planned. Do you think Caleb said this morning , oh gee our irish fans are so dedicated. They bought all 80,000 tickets for our gig in under an hour. Why don't i just ring the O2 and tell them we will play there too. Slane being " sold out " is a media and promoters thing as now people will feel they " need " to go to the o2 gig. That will sell out as Kings could sell out a 16,000 capacity venue. Then in early 2011 tickets suddenly go back on for slane.

Spot on, i'd reckon there were tickets on presale yesterday and if so then the whole sold out in 40mins is rubbish, it should be sold out in 24hrs and 40 mins. I also agree that it is unlikely that it is sold out at all, they will magically find space for another 20'000 in the new year. It's a funny country where everybody is complaining about being broke and struggling to get by then in the space of a week Croke Park sells out two nights and Slane supposedly sells out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I heard Foo Fighters too, any confirmation on support acts? I really cant see the Foo's playing support though:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

ok i reckon its gona be 3 2 hour sets in slane

and i think only 30k of tickets went on sale 2day

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭ergo

only read the last 10 pages or so of this thread and probably mentioned before but...

EIGHT tickets per person :eek:

fúcking toutfest :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

ergo wrote: »
    only read the last 10 pages or so of this thread and probably mentioned before but...

It's a couple of years since I've been but Slane is never really that hard to land tickets for right?

Not hard enough to warrent paying big money to a tout for anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭ergo

It's a couple of years since I've been but Slane is never really that hard to land tickets for right?

that's what I'm hoping

but seriously, EIGHT per person...wtf?

just so ticket agency can save on postage probably and still charge 8 x service charge :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I seriously doubt Muse would play before KOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭Penfailed

The general jist of this thread -

Kings of Leon are sh1te, they've sold out
    Sh1te, the Kings of Leon have sold out

;)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

ergo wrote: »

It wasn't mentioned before. I thought the exact same thing myself when I seen that. Absolutely ridiculous. But then again promoters/ticket outlets don't care who buys the tickets once they are paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

I agree with you there. I always seem to be offered or know of someone with a Slane ticket anytime it's on. The exception being when U2 played there.

Advertisement