Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kings of Leon - Slane Castle - 28 May 2011 - *No tickets sales/swaps*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

lordgoat wrote: »
    Irish people have a great history of boycotting anything right? Oh wait, now we don't.
    Where did the word boycott originate again...;) I don't think we are more or less likely to boycott than any other nation.

In many cases people do cut their nose off to spite their face, I have seen it in other forums regarding online stores. I heard a few people who endured the oasis bus debacle swear never again, and were put off other festivals too.

As I said before I agree with the logic that there is no need for them to put on a decent support
    lordgoat wrote: »
    It's a tried and tested method and i expect a few middle of the road bands for the rest of the bill.
    Is it tried and tested though, it makes sense to do it but festivals frequently sell out before acts are named and still pay out.

One thing is sure, no matter who supports, if they rose Lennon and Harrison from the dead and the beatles reformed and played support, people will be on here bitching.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slane_Concert
    U2's headlining appearance sold out in 45 minutes.

1st Concert

25 August 2001:

* Red Hot Chili Peppers
    * Coldplay
    * Kelis
    * JJ72
    * Relish

Headliner

* U2
    I can't remember if any acts were announced for that, but I doubt the RHCP or coldplay were particularly cheap -RHCP headlined slane soon after (whether people like them is not the point), and it is pretty much a certainty that U2 will sell out here.
    Blimey, that's going back a few years. ;)
    It is, and IIRC the hives were sold out before muse were announced as support, not sure how big they were back then, they changed from the academy to dublin castle when muse were announced and they offered a refund on the tickets, thats the only reason I can remember it. Tickets were like golddust as muse fans only heard of them playing and there were only a few 100 more tickets in the bigger venue left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

rubadub wrote: »
    Yep, I don't really know any of muse's stuff though I did see them once, they played support to the hives in dublin castle (the who you say?, no the hives ;)).

Was that in 2002? That was one of the first gigs I went to... it was the other way around, The Hives supported Muse at that one. And The Revs were the opening act (anyone remember them? :))

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Was that in 2002? That was one of the first gigs I went to... it was the other way around, The Hives supported Muse at that one. And The Revs were the opening act (anyone remember them? :))
    Spot on, I thought it was the other way. Hives definitely went on sale for amabassador first though and then were lumped in with Muse and were now the support or "double headline", very odd setup, I presumed the first sold still headlined. I remember now a few guys who were going pulled out and sold tickets in buyandsell (as they thought hives would only do a short set). I remember my mates phone was off the hook with people looking for tickets.

http://freakytrigger.co.uk/ft/2002/07/nordic/
    I saw The Hives play an open-air gig in the courtyard of Dublin Castle. Somewhat annoyingly, we had bought tickets for an indoors Hives gig, but they were then mysteriously added to the bill of a concert by Muse, a widely disliked band. First up on this open air festival style event was awful Irish band The Revs....

Next up were The Hives....

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-24613209.html
    This was an arranged marriage of convenience. Fagersta's New Wave throwbacks, The Hives, sold out an original Ambassador booking in a blip. Before you could say "bipolar opposites" they'd wedded Devon's baroque'n'roll group at the Heineken Green Energy Festival. On stage it appeared that neither party was still speaking to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I did a quick boards search... looks like The Hives were moved because MCD wanted to book P.O.D. for the Ambassador that night (again, remember them :)). Muse and The Hives seem like a better fit even though they sound nothing alike.

That was around the same time The Hives were riding the indie wave alongside The Strokes, The White Stripes, and in later years (!!) Kings of Leon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rihanna65

I did a quick boards search... looks like The Hives were moved because MCD wanted to book P.O.D. for the Ambassador that night (again, remember them :)). Muse and The Hives seem like a better fit even though they sound nothing alike.

That was around the same time The Hives were riding the indie wave alongside The Strokes, The White Stripes, and in later years (!!) Kings of Leon.

i don't know where you lot are getting your info from! ye're all cracked altogether. i was chatting to the ticketmaster salesman myself PERSONALLY . . . in person AND HE TOLD ME . . .that it was definitely going to be cameo state, laura moynihan and deadmau5 giving her a bit of support!:D:eek::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Deadmau5 supporting KOL? At Slane? In the daytime?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

rihanna65 wrote: »
    i don't know where you lot are getting your info from! ye're all cracked altogether. i was chatting to the ticketmaster salesman myself PERSONALLY . . . in person AND HE TOLD ME . . .that it was definitely going to be cameo state, laura moynihan and deadmau5 giving her a bit of support!:D:eek::cool:
    Ticketmaster only have 1 salesman :eek:

Although theyre much more realistic then the foos and muse

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭trebormurf

Says a lot about Muse that they need a ****in lightshow to keep their audience interested. Have Muse fans read The Curious Incident!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

trebormurf wrote: »
    Says a lot about Muse that they need a ****in lightshow to keep their audience interested. Have Muse fans read The Curious Incident!!!

I've seen Muse without the lightshow and it was still brilliant. ;) Actually I think it was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

i reckon the sell out is not because of kings of leon, this is slane and any festival goer will want to be at slane especially for an anniversery.so i reckon some are fans and some are just going to say they where there .

like with acdc they pulled in a huge crowd ,but alot of people i saw at that gig ,where defo just there to be there at an outdoor festival.

but after all the greats that have played on that stage ,its an outrage that these shower of b******* will be ruining the legcy of slane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mitybuck20

i smell a kings of leon live at slane dvd in time 4 next xmas???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

but after all the greats that have played on that stage ,its an outrage that these shower of b******* will be ruining the legcy of slane.

really? robbie williams, no show eminien, madonna

Cant understand why there are so many moaners out there, KOL are obv good enough to headline slane considering that they have managed to sell it out in 40mins and less than a week later to sell out the O2 in 2mins all in a recession.

Compare that to the rugby game at the weekend, irl v south africa sold out the last timed they played in croke park(85k) vs 34k on saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

996tt wrote: »
    really? robbie williams, no show eminien, madonna

Cant understand why there are so many moaners out there, KOL are obv good enough to headline slane considering that they have managed to sell it out in 40mins and less than a week later to sell out the O2 in 2mins all in a recession.

theyve manage to sell it out because its slane ,and everyone wants to be there regardless of whos playing .

in my eyes two of those above are not greats , madonna would be the best of those 3 , she comes from a good era where she probably actually made her own original music ,and id imagine her live show would be made worth your money . and im not a fan of the other two but id see them up quicker them kings of leon.and would think they be more worth the money .

in my eyes two of those above are not greats , madonna would be the best of those 3 , she comes from a good era where she probably actually made her own original music ,and id imagine her live show would be made worth your money . and im not a fan of the other two but id see them up quicker them kings of leon.and would think they be more worth the money .
    I was at the Robbie Williams on in 99 (Ugh.Age) and I have to hand it to him, hes well able to put on a show and entertain (or was anyway).That was also the one shown live on Sky1 at the time :) .Stereophonics were great that day aswell.
    KoL aren't a good live band or good entertainers though. When I saw them they couldnt play to the crowd and just seemed to go through the motions. From what I've been told thats still the way it is and doesnt seem to be changing. Theyll always get a big reaction to Sex on Fire and a couple other songs but that only makes up 15 minutes of what should be a roughly 2 hour set.
    They may sell it out but that doesnt mean theyre right type of band to play Slane.They dont have the live energy or presence for this kinda gig.Instead of a massive show like proper stadium bands can put on itll just be them standing motionless with lights being turned on for the chorus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 louisa collins

The Prodigy / Kasabian / Glasvegas / The Blizzards
    28th May 2011 KINGS OF LEON

http://www.kingsofleon.com/pages/news/2437

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

I doubt thats right. That was the lineup before Oasis last year.

It is.They fcuked up the spacing on the support acts list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

http://www.kingsofleon.com/pages/news/2437

that was the oasis lineup you have read the page wrong if you notice it says oasis then leaves a space then prints the lineup so after KOL there is nothing, so no lineup has been announced yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

the coronas were on ray darcy yesterday and said they were playing slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

They play absoulutely everywhere, I don't think anybody cares at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pobmania

emmmmmmmmmmmmmm

so this is sold out is it?

I just went on ticketmaster and bought two tickets.

I for one am shocked that tickets are available after announcing both this and the o2 as sellouts :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pobmania

Mr.S wrote: »
    I just looked and theres none on sale. Sounds like you got lucky with canceled tickets that where put back into the pool.

Just tried again actually and had same result so think you're right.

Its obviously worth trying every day on the offchance!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Hmmm I just heard them saying that they would like to play Slane if they were asked but Im sure alot of bands would. Interesting how rumours start isnt it.

Wouldnt surprise me if they were.Same kinda crowd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

got two tix off ticketmaster this morning. have been trying for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 DublinKopite

Same for me too, I have tried once or twice during the day over the last week and today randomly was able to get 3 tickets! :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

LeahBaby wrote: »
    got two tix off ticketmaster this morning. have been trying for a few days.
    Same for me too, I have tried once or twice during the day over the last week and today randomly was able to get 3 tickets! :D

Well done, as a few of us have been saying if you check back daily you will often find that cancelled tickets go back into the system.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hi All,
    (Sorry mods if not allowed) but those of you looking for tickets, keep trying the ticketmaster site. I kept trying the last hour, and just got myself two tickets from ticketmaster online.

I tried the same this morning and they came up. Maybe Im overloading the system! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I'd be willing to wager there'll still be tickets come May. Same every year, creates mass hysteria to drive up ticket sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 thefoofighter

For everyones information the Supporting acts have been put up here
    http://www.kingsofleon.com/pages/news

under the title
    2010/10/29 - KINGS OF LEON ANNOUNCE SLANE CASTLE CONCERT

you can see at the bottom the supporting acts

its the official website not sure if its true though
    make your own mid up
    :)