Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kings of Leon - Slane Castle - 28 May 2011 - *No tickets sales/swaps*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

For everyones information the Supporting acts have been put up here
    http://www.kingsofleon.com/pages/news

under the title
    2010/10/29 - KINGS OF LEON ANNOUNCE SLANE CASTLE CONCERT

you can see at the bottom the supporting acts

The Prodigy / Kasabian / Glasvegas / The Blizzards
    28th May 2011 KINGS OF LEON

its the official website not sure if its true though
    make your own mid up
    :)

THIS IS INCORRECT. IGNORE.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nanif

For everyones information the Supporting acts have been put up here
    http://www.kingsofleon.com/pages/news

under the title
    2010/10/29 - KINGS OF LEON ANNOUNCE SLANE CASTLE CONCERT

you can see at the bottom the supporting acts

The Prodigy / Kasabian / Glasvegas / The Blizzards
    28th May 2011 KINGS OF LEON

its the official website not sure if its true though
    make your own mid up
    :)

Yeah,
    That was the line up for 2009!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

Kings of Leon and Foo Fighters announced for isle of wight festival on june 10th??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Bertocon

Kings of Leon are perfectly capable of headlining Slane with style, they are as big if not bigger now as RHCP were in 2003 or Steriophonics were in 2002. Dont know why so many people are complaining, its obviously the oldtimers who are still into and want their childhood classics and cant face that music changes with generation....

28th May 2011 at slane castle is going to be unbelievable and thats that so stop ye're bitching!

.... and no one complained in 2008 when the ultimate 'cheese-rock' excuse for a band - Oasis - were headlining.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

28th May 2011 at slane castle is going to be unbelievable and thats that so stop ye're bitching!

Oh well that's that then.

I won't rehash all the reasons I think they're a sorry headliner for any festival and a bad omen for the future of Slane; but I will say that the little stunt of announcing their own shows the split second this had "sold out" neatly reinforced everything it is that I hate about this bloody brand.

Sorry, "band".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Bertocon

the little stunt of announcing their own shows the split second this had "sold out"
    What would you have done? Jealous of their idea? It worked, fairplay! Playing music is their job, people work to make money, most people try to make the most money out of their job to live the better life. They dont give a sh*t about us personally and i dont give a sh*t about them personally, but i get my entertainment and they get their money! I dont need them to suck my b*lls to enjoy their live act!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Every band does this. A lot of bands do this after the festivals every year and why shouldn't they? I for one was very happy to see Goldfrapp, Arcade Fire and Vampire Weekend announce gigs after Oxegen this year. I had never seen Arcade Fire or Vampire Weekend live before and am looking forward to them playing their own show.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Bertocon wrote: »
    What would you have done? Jealous of their idea? It worked, fairplay! Playing music is their job, people work to make money, most people try to make the most money out of their job to live the better life. They dont give a sh*t about us personally and i dont give a sh*t about them personally, but i get my entertainment and they get their money! I dont need them to suck my b*lls to enjoy their live act!

Even having my balls sucked would be ruined by having the KOL playing in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Every band does this. A lot of bands do this after the festivals every year and why shouldn't they? I for one was very happy to see Goldfrapp, Arcade Fire and Vampire Weekend announce gigs after Oxegen this year. I had never seen Arcade Fire or Vampire Weekend live before and am looking forward to them playing their own show.

It's one thing to play any old festival and then announce your own shows a couple of days later; it's another to play something like Slane, which is far more headliner dependent, and then do it within hours of a completely unconvincing sell out announcement.

When people asked why we were underwhelmed by the original KOL announcement one of the main reasons people gave, quite aside from the fact that they one of the most disinterested live bands I've ever seen, was that they play here all the freaking time. How can there be anybody in Ireland who hasn't seen them? I'm pretty sure I've seen them at least once by accident.

What kind of headliner value can they possibly have for Slane now?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Oh well that's that then.

I won't rehash all the reasons I think they're a sorry headliner for any festival and a bad omen for the future of Slane; but I will say that the little stunt of announcing their own shows the split second this had "sold out" neatly reinforced everything it is that I hate about this bloody brand.

Sorry, "band".

Yes of course its a bad omen. A few 'hardcore music fans' have a gripe because kings of leon marketing team have not done everything to their liking and its a bad omen for slane? Please explain this?

What band would you have preferred to see there instead of KOL by the way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Bertocon wrote: »
    Kings of Leon are perfectly capable of headlining Slane with style, they are as big if not bigger now as RHCP were in 2003 or Steriophonics were in 2002. Dont know why so many people are complaining, its obviously the oldtimers who are still into and want their childhood classics and cant face that music changes with generation....

.... and no one complained in 2008 when the ultimate 'cheese-rock' excuse for a band - Oasis - were headlining.....

Old timers :confused: ....im 24
    And bigger then RHCP my balls. RHCP were still coming off californication and by the way(which I dont like much but it was big). They'd headlined tonnes of massive festivals including Woodstock and were huge worldwide. KOL are big here and the UK.
    Theyre not a change in music either. They were a breath of fresh air for their 1st couple albums but then devolved into the generic mess you hear now. The only reason their carrying such success the last couple years was they had a slightly catchy song with the word sex that was played 3 times an hour and people loved to sing along cause the word sex is cool to say :rolleyes:

Its not really "thats that". They're sh!t at getting crowds going so the area around the stage will be hopping.The rest of the field will be either quietly watching or playing tiddlywinks.

And plenty complained about Oasis including me!

Old timers :confused: ....im 24
    And bigger then RHCP my balls. RHCP were still coming off californication and by the way(which I dont like much but it was big). They'd headlined tonnes of massive festivals including Woodstock and were huge worldwide. KOL are big here and the UK.
    Theyre not a change in music either. They were a breath of fresh air for their 1st couple albums but then devolved into the generic mess you hear now. The only reason their carrying such success the last couple years was they had a slightly catchy song with the word sex that was played 3 times an hour and people loved to sing along cause the word sex is cool to say :rolleyes:

Its not really "thats that". They're sh!t at getting crowds going so the area around the stage will be hopping.The rest of the field will be either quietly watching or playing tiddlywinks.

And plenty complained about Oasis including me!

Seemed to remember going to a U2 gig and nearly falling asleep because they were playing to themselves and bono was in his usuls mood. I dont know of to many bands that are good at getting crowds and and are a 'great' bands. I mean like green day and kaiser chiefs are great at getting crowds going and crowd interaction but are they as big and successful as U2? Your point is irrelevant in my opinion.

Seemed to remember going to a U2 gig and nearly falling asleep because they were playing to themselves and bono was in his usuls mood. I dont know of to many bands that are good at getting crowds and and are a 'great' bands. I mean like green day and kaiser chiefs are great at getting crowds going and crowd interaction but are they as big and successful as U2? Your point is irrelevant in my opinion.
    U2? Widely regarded as one of the best live performers in the world for 20 years. Every tour is nothing but sold out stadiums world wide and has been for as long as I remember with them all also being complemented as an amazing stage show as well as an amazing performances. They might primarily rely on their old songs but they know how to use them.
    You've quite possibly picked one of the worst examples in live music to give your opinion on bad live bands and have really made your own point irrelevant in the process.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

These guys no how to get the crowd going !!!

They would have been a perfect band to play Slane and a WAY better pick then KOL. These guys have loads of songs to pick from from all their albums of the years. They have one of the best frontmen around imo he knows how to get the crowd going.

U2? Widely regarded as one of the best live performers in the world for 20 years. Every tour is nothing but sold out stadiums world wide and has been for as long as I remember with them all also being complemented as an amazing stage show as well as an amazing performances. They might primarily rely on their old songs but they know how to use them.
    You've quite possibly picked one of the worst examples in live music to give your opinion on bad live bands and have really made your own point irrelevant in the process.

Ya sure. Perhaps you would want to take the irish-tinted specs off. U2 were good live but have lost some of the magic they once possessed. I will give you an example. My brother who is many years wiser than me went to that gig (croke park by the way) and he has been a massive U2 fan all of his life. He was very unimpressed and thought that they were just ordinary. He pointed out that he had been to see them in Cork in 1987 and it was the best gig he was ever at. Many years on not same.

Now you made the point about KOL getting the crowd going. In U2s case well I didnt think that they did so that why I said I was nearly falling asleep, unless you include bono rambling on about world issues. Tiddlywinks was all the go in the crowd that day for sure. Also I am sure there isnt a person in Ireland who hasnt been to see U2. I am a big fan of U2 by the way and their music but I dont think they live up to their reputation as being a fantastic live band in my opinion.

They would have been a perfect band to play Slane and a WAY better pick then KOL. These guys have loads of songs to pick from from all their albums of the years. They have one of the best frontmen around imo he knows how to get the crowd going.

I totally agree about the foos and I have been to see them many times including the slane support slot in 2003. Fantastic energy and as you said have alot of material for a banging setlist. I dont think the KOL will be too bad and perhaps the criticism is over the top, but these guys wouldnt have been something special.

Ya sure. Perhaps you would want to take the irish-tinted specs off. U2 were good live but have lost some of the magic they once possessed. I will give you an example. My brother who is many years wiser than me went to that gig (croke park by the way) and he has been a massive U2 fan all of his life. He was very unimpressed and thought that they were just ordinary. He pointed out that he had been to see them in Cork in 1987 and it was the best gig he was ever at. Many years on not same.

Now you made the point about KOL getting the crowd going. In U2s case well I didnt think that they did so that why I said I was nearly falling asleep, unless you include bono rambling on about world issues. Tiddlywinks was all the go in the crowd that day for sure. Also I am sure there isnt a person in Ireland who hasnt been to see U2. I am a big fan of U2 by the way and their music but I dont think they live up to their reputation as being a fantastic live band in my opinion.
    I said "Widely regarded" which is very true. They dont just sell out shows in Ireland and you can look through critics opinions worldwide who also believe it so its not a case of Irish tinted shades. I was at the 1st Croke Park gig of the last tour which wasnt a patch on the Slane 2001 gig but they actually got a reaction.
    I've seen KoL twice and they couldnt keep the attention of maybe 10,000 people purely cause they didnt seem arsed. Theyre not and never have been good performers which is why I think this Slane is a mistake and like the others who wern't suitable to headline, this gig will just be forgotten and deservedly so.

I said "Widely regarded" which is very true. They dont just sell out shows in Ireland and you can look through critics opinions worldwide who also believe it so its not a case of Irish tinted shades. I was at the 1st Croke Park gig of the last tour which wasnt a patch on the Slane 2001 gig but they actually got a reaction.
    I've seen KoL twice and they couldnt keep the attention of maybe 10,000 people purely cause they didnt seem arsed. Theyre not and never have been good performers which is why I think this Slane is a mistake and like the others who wern't suitable to headline, this gig will just be forgotten and deservedly so.

This is an interesting statement. I seriously doubt that you are correct. Another poster said that everyone in Ireland must have seen them at this stage and yet Slane sells out and their O2 gig as well. It seems that if that statement is correct MCD have paid people to come to the gig. Never have been good performers?. How many times have you seen them?

This is an interesting statement. I seriously doubt that you are correct. Another poster said that everyone in Ireland must have seen them at this stage and yet Slane sells out and their O2 gig as well. It seems that if that statement is correct MCD have paid people to come to the gig. Never have been good performers?. How many times have you seen them?

I've seen them twice (after Because of the times was released and after Only by the night) and both times they were terrible. Im not the only one thinking that either. Their overall reception live has never been good.
    I doubt Slane is completely sold out and plenty more tickets will be released over time. Its too convenient that theyll go "Oh this gig is sold out but lucky for you they have a smaller one just before it" creating a rush on the o2 tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Would have to agree, and ive always been a massive KOL fan! Been a big KOL fan from the start, seen them 3 times now, but been gradually getting sick of them to the point I didnt try to get Slane tickets and I got a o2 ticket as a birthday present-I tried for o2 tickets but wasnt exactly devastated when I didnt get them. Theyve descended into mainstream boring music and their attitude has pissed me off completely.

Foos on the other hand, I think are made for somewhere like Slane. I know the big foos songs, wouldnt know them all but I would genuinely be more excited and willing to go see Foo fighters at slane than KOL even though I have all the KOL albums etc etc.....its gotten to that point with KOL for me-the o2 gig could be the nail in the coffin, ill reserve final judgement till then.

Hopefully ill be at TITP next year and foos will be too!

• Advertisement

I've seen them twice (after Because of the times was released and after Only by the night) and both times they were terrible. Im not the only one thinking that either. Their overall reception live has never been good.
    I doubt Slane is completely sold out and plenty more tickets will be released over time. Its too convenient that theyll go "Oh this gig is sold out but lucky for you they have a smaller one just before it" creating a rush on the o2 tickets.

Doesnt really matter does it. Are you hinting that when the support acts are announced for slane and they realease a few more tickets that they wont sell? There would only be a rush on the o2 tickets if people want to see them. Simple enough isnt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭lfc84

does anyone know the support for slane ? or when it will be announced ?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

Anyone have a feeling about this for support?

My Chemical Romance - They're playing the o2 in Feb (mcd highly advertising presale tickets, more than any other band), a new album with very possible no. 1 singles to come (NA NA NA song), they will more than likely be playing Oxegen as well because of that, as they're that kinda band and they have already. All of which is similiar story to both the Prodigy and Kasabian supporting Oasis.

Foo Fighters - They're supporting them already for another gig (I heard).

The Script - Now I don't like the script, and I really hope they don't play, but I have a feeling they will...

The Coronas - Same as The Script

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Anyone have a feeling about this for support?

My Chemical Romance - They're playing the o2 in Feb (mcd highly advertising presale tickets, more than any other band), a new album with very possible no. 1 singles to come (NA NA NA song), they will more than likely be playing Oxegen as well because of that, as they're that kinda band and they have already. All of which is similiar story to both the Prodigy and Kasabian supporting Oasis.

Foo Fighters - They're supporting them already for another gig (I heard).

The Script - Now I don't like the script, and I really hope they don't play, but I have a feeling they will...

The Coronas - Same as The Script

The Script wont since they are already doing the Aviva Stadium show , Corona's confirmed Slane i think. Highly doubt Foo's would support KOL

The Script wont since they are already doing the Aviva Stadium show , Corona's confirmed Slane i think. Highly doubt Foo's would support KOL

I don't know, Like I just heard from my dad the Foo's were supporting them elsewhere, and the Foo's have played Slane before :/

What do you think the chances of My Chemical Romance are?

I don't know, Like I just heard from my dad the Foo's were supporting them elsewhere, and the Foo's have played Slane before :/

What do you think the chances of My Chemical Romance are?

And the Foos are much bigger.Theyre not supporting them anywhere. Just on a couple of the same festivals but headlining different nights. MCR are a very different crowd so id say pretty unlikely. Hipsters and Emos dont mix well :pac:

And the Foos are much bigger.Theyre not supporting them anywhere. Just on a couple of the same festivals but headlining different nights. MCR are a very different crowd so id say pretty unlikely. Hipsters and Emos dont mix well :pac:

I don't mean to sound silly, but they actually aren't emo at all, their new album is something like a modern day sex pistols album! And by the look of MCD's facebook, they've taken a liking to them! I'd say it's possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I don't mean to sound silly, but they actually aren't emo at all, their new album is something like a modern day sex pistols album! And by the look of MCD's facebook, they've taken a liking to them! I'd say it's possible :)

Just a pity for you that nobody else has...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

MCR are a very different crowd so id say pretty unlikely. Hipsters and Emos dont mix well :pac:
    They do not seem to care about matching crowds much
    * Moby
    Headliner
    * Bryan Adams
    * Iggy Pop and the Stooges
    Headliner
    * Madonna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

rubadub wrote: »
    They do not seem to care about matching crowds much

Thats true, when the likes of Paddy Casey plays support for Metallica, anything can happen! Just as long as they're down a bit in the pecking order.

Advertisement