Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kings of Leon - Slane Castle - 28 May 2011 - *No tickets sales/swaps*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

Lon.C wrote: »
    I heard a whisper today that Daft Punk are supporting at Slane. Anyone else hear anything?

I also heard you are a GULL-A-BULL!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Lon.C

I also heard you are a GULL-A-BULL!
    Thats what you think. Just wait till them magic beans he gave me start to grow. Then we'll see who's gullible.

Lon.C wrote: »
    Thats what you think. Just wait till them magic beans he gave me start to grow. Then we'll see who's gullible.

I hate to berate on forums, but that is seriously stupid to believe.

Daft Punk are not even talking about going on tour, and if they did, they'd want their own stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I hate to berate on forums, but that is seriously stupid to believe.

Daft Punk are not even talking about going on tour, and if they did, they'd want their own stage.

Wasn't it confirmed that daft punk have dates booked throughout 2011 and 2012? They won't be at slane either way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

My God. Been reading back through this thread. What's with all the hate, people? You'd swear Jedward were headlining Slane with all the venom being spat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

My God. Been reading back through this thread. What's with all the hate, people? You'd swear Jedward were headlining Slane with all the venom being spat.
    Theres a difference :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Theres a difference :confused:

Of course there's a difference.........

Jedward have stage presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Such negativity around KOL,its mad! How can people say they're not worthy of headlining when they sold out in minutes?they're really popular still,even if some of u seem to hate them.I've been a fan of all their albums and disagree with them being sell outs just because their music has changed since the start.most bands do change,get over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

has there been any news of support for this gig yet or what is happening with it? i just cant imagine slane with only one band?

Wasn't it confirmed that daft punk have dates booked throughout 2011 and 2012? They won't be at slane either way though.
    ]

No, NME stirred up a rumour that they were going to play. Nothing has been confirmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

MastiffMrs wrote: »
    Such negativity around KOL,its mad! How can people say they're not worthy of headlining when they sold out in minutes?they're really popular still,even if some of u seem to hate them.I've been a fan of all their albums and disagree with them being sell outs just because their music has changed since the start.most bands do change,get over it!

Yes, good bands music changes as they get older, progress...they don't change solely for some success and money, thats the difference. Plus the fact that they have become terminally crap live doesn't help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

]

No, NME stirred up a rumour that they were going to play. Nothing has been confirmed.
    Nothing has been confirmed but it's expected that they're going to tour soon. After the secret Chinese shows in 2009 that turned out to be a hoax, Busy P (their ex-manager) said they are looking forward to playing in China during their next world tour "in 2010 or 2011"..

Here's hoping! (would hate to see them supporting KOL at Slane though)

Mushy wrote: »
    Yes, good bands music changes as they get older, progress...they don't change solely for some success and money, thats the difference. Plus the fact that they have become terminally crap live doesn't help them.
    and they also became dickheads. To think they called Arcade Fire pretentious! They're far too big for the 4-chord boots!

Jello wrote: »
    Nothing has been confirmed but it's expected that they're going to tour soon. After the secret Chinese shows in 2009 that turned out to be a hoax, Busy P (their ex-manager) said they are looking forward to playing in China during their next world tour "in 2010 or 2011"..

Here's hoping! (would hate to see them supporting KOL at Slane though)

The hoax daft punk gigs are ridiculous, with them playing the eifel tower every new years eve. They aren't going to play for ages, they would have confirmed to play by now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

and they also became dickheads. To think they called Arcade Fire pretentious! They're far too big for the 4-chord boots!

And after this Diva Activity at last years V Festival
    Backstage again, we were outside the catering tent, about to cross the path back to the dressing rooms when loads of massive blokes in suits and shades came out of nowhere shouting "don't move, don't move, DO NOT move" whilst pushing people back to the sides of the track. Was it Obama?

Tom explained that he was just crossing over to the dressing room to start getting ready.

"No you're not" said a big man.

"Yes I am" said tom.

Out came the enormous hand.

The conversation between tom and the big man got more heated. Then 4 blacked out range rovers came round the corner. One for each King of Leon. As it became clear what all this presidential fuss was about, tom gave the worldwide one fingered sign of dislike as the cars went past. The last one stopped. The drummer got out making "come on then" type gestures. "Come on then" tom gestured back. Instead, the drummer went back behind his bodyguards, and, pointing towards Tom, Paul Weller, and the various other musicians who were pinned by the side of the road, said "I want them removed."

"You will be removed" said the big man.

"No we won't"

The promoter came over, smoothed it over and apologised. Bearing in mind this was all happening backstage in the area shared by all the bands, it's hard to see what the Kings thought they were protecting themselves from. Was Paul Weller going to hound them for autographs? Was Florence going to wrestle them to the ground? Or maybe Stereophonics were going to ask them to write "your sex is on fire" on an album sleeve?

Nevertheless, the Kings had 4 minutes before going onstage to enjoy all those showers and toilets they'd kept to themselves.

We had a great crowd for our gig. Hat off to Staffordshire. It was the gig of the weekend.

We came off stage into the van that would take us back round to the dressing room. As we weaved through thick woodland, a message came over the radio to the driver to pull off the road, repeat, "Pull Off The Road." Guess who.

The Kings were on their way out.

So we waited, reluctantly, whilst getting pretty annoyed with our driver for stopping. A few of us got out, to give the Kings a fond farewell.

Eventually, a couple of buses for crew and entourage came round the corner, followed by the 4 individual range rovers. What a lonely existence.

Back in the artist area, there was a good vibe around the bar. 3 cases of champagne were sent over to GA HQ as a thanks for telling it straight to the Kings.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

It seems its cool to like arcade fire. But according to flaming lips frontman Wayne Coyne they aint too nice: http://stereogum.com/56431/wayne_coyne_tears_arcade_fire_a_new_asshole/franchises/wheres-
    the-beef/

Its all a media circus really.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Oh right, so if you've been around long enough your allowed sell out to make some money? And don't worry, I am no 'indie snob'.

Agree on your second point bout it being cool to like Arcade Fire though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Not to derail the thread, but there's a bit more to that than meets the eye, and Coyne's since apologised.

Arcade Fire are pretty lovely - odd, but sound - but their manager is awful, and I'd bet my eye teeth that whatever Coyne's actual problem was had to do with him.

Mushy wrote: »
    Oh right, so if you've been around long enough your allowed sell out to make some money? And don't worry, I am no 'indie snob'.

Agree on your second point bout it being cool to like Arcade Fire though.

Neither of them are my points but kodos for attributing them to me. That article has a bit of balance instead of the one dimensional 'hate mob' i hate everything because the band changed club. I love the way that you think its cool though to like Arcade Fire because everyone does. Kinda highlights the fact that it is 'cool' to dislike Kings of Leon and follow the herd my son! In case you didnt notice every band is selling out at the moment. Bands and their cosy relationship with big brands, oh the horror!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I like Arcade Fire and Kings of Leon, how conflicted am I?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Bandwagon jumping is so annoying.I like KOL because I enjoy listening to their music, not because someone else thinks its cool or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

MastiffMrs wrote: »
    Bandwagon jumping is so annoying.I like KOL because I enjoy listening to their music, not because someone else thinks its cool or not.

music/pop culture is all about bandwagon jumping I'm afraid, it's the very essence of its success.
    Oh, and you'll be glad to hear I'm no bandwagon jumper for KOL, I can't stand the jumped up little prima donas.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

I read somewhere that Mona, The Black Keys and The Whigs are supporting Kings Of Leon at their Hyde Park gigs in June. (Might be just rumours though!). Could be the support acts for Slane if it is true. I would love to see Mona. Have already seen The Whigs and The Black Keys... Would be a nice line up!

Not a very big support bill tbh. Not saying it wouldnt happen. Cause if you look at Oasis had Prodigy/Kasabian/Glasvegas etc which 2 are arena bands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Not a very big support bill tbh. Not saying it wouldnt happen. Cause if you look at Oasis had Prodigy/Kasabian/Glasvegas etc which 2 are arena bands
    2 awesome arena bands and one pile of ****e :P

2 awesome arena bands and one pile of ****e :P

Could'nt agree more , Cant stand Glasvegas and now we have Glasvegas 2.0 in the XX . Cheer up lads

Hot Press has learned that the revamped line-up of one of Ireland's most legendary rock outfits is to feature at this year's Slane Castle concert. Kings of Leon are topping the bill at what is already a sold-out show, which takes place on Saturday May 28.

The Followills have regularly namechecked Lizzy as an influence and wrote ‘Molly’s Chamber’ – a line from ‘Whiskey In The Jar’ – in their honour.

Thin Lizzy played a triumphant concert in Dublin's Olympia Theatre last night. "It was a great night," Philomena Lynott told Hot Press. "This is definitely the best Thin Lizzy line-up I've seen since Philip died. It's the tightest by far. They really do justice to Philip's wonderful songs."

The line-up features Ricky Warwick on vocals, as well as long-time members Scott Gorham on guitar and Brian Downey on drums . Also on board are later-years Lizzy man Darren Wharton, bassist Marco Mendoza and Vivian Campbell – originally of Sweet Savage and currently also of Def Leppard.

Spirits were high backstage after the show, with the band's Slane appearance being confirmed to Hot Press.

"There was talk that the band might announce it from the stage at last night's Olympia show but that didn't happen," one industry insider told Hot Press. "But it is definitely happening."

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭mark182

If Mona are announced, you's are all in for a major show, absolutly brilliant band, rocked Whelans to the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Interesting, so Thin Lizzy look to be the only good act on the bill at Slane this year then....

**awaits abuse**

Advertisement