Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kings of Leon - Slane Castle - 28 May 2011 - *No tickets sales/swaps*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sandt

mark182 wrote: »
    UPDATE on my own post: Mona have today cancelled their own gigs planned for day of Slane, so they are expected to be announced as support act. You's are in for a treat if they are :-D Fantastic band

Yeah they are s**t hot, been following them this past few months and just this evening watch a live show from them on MTV rocks. It was excellent, very very good live.

Just one thing though, would they put a band on at slane whos debut album will have been lauched about a week or so before the concert??

i know its already sold out, but prob 98% of the people going wouldnt know who they are.

i for one though would be delighted to see them live!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

Just wondering how many support acts do people think there will be? White Lies and Thin Lizzy have already confirmed themselves and since gates aren't open till 3 will there be time for any more? I'm assuming that the first band won't actually begin at 3 p.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭mark182

sandt wrote: »
    Yeah they are s**t hot, been following them this past few months and just this evening watch a live show from them on MTV rocks. It was excellent, very very good live.

Just one thing though, would they put a band on at slane whos debut album will have been lauched about a week or so before the concert??

i know its already sold out, but prob 98% of the people going wouldnt know who they are.

i for one though would be delighted to see them live!

:D they are great, you see them in Whelans?... I dont see why they wont play, they are very good friends with Jared Followill and they are opening for them in Hyde Park, London, so no reason why they wouldnt be doing slane.... must be a crazy to play Whelans then 4 months later Slane ha awesome

It's on Slane Castle's Facebook page that Lord Henry will be on the Tony Fenton show this afternoon to announce the support acts. I believe Tony Fenton's show is 2.30 to 4.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Everyone ready to be disappointed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

From What Ive heard in recent weeks, my prediction is as follows:
    • Kasabian
    • Mumford and Sons
    • White Lies
    • Mona
    • Thin Lizzy
    • Some Irish Band...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

First time heading to Slane - with a few mates and was wondering if anyone ever hired a Limo to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Amaru KGB

Slane's Lord Henry Mountcharles will be on with me today to announce the full Slane line up... Trust me you will be surprised. C U @ 2.30
    Tony Fenton Twit

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Amaru KGB wrote: »
    Tony Fenton Twit

Presume he meant 4.30

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Elbow, Thin Lizzy, White Stripes, Mona are the support acts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 jordo333

Limerick91 wrote: »

Elbow, The Whigs, Thin Lizzy, WHITE LIES, Mona

Limerick91 wrote: »

Do you mean White Lies??

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

Crap line up imo.
    Can somebody explain the whole Thin Lizzy thing to me, i never liked them and dont know what all the fuss is......

I do like White Lies though and i heard Elbow were great the other night but other than that......... :(:(:(:(:(

Elbow are a much better live band than Kings of Leon in my opinion. Decent line up, but a disgrace for the 30th aniversery of such a monumental event

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

30th aniversery of such a monumental event
    The whole anniversary stuff is just more marketing gimmicks. I never remember anything being made of the 10th or 20th anniversaries. Now looking on wiki it seems there was no slane in 91, and it was U2 in 2001, I remember U2 playing slane, cannot remember it being touted as anniversary.

2011 entry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slane_Concert#2011

It was announced on 29 October 2010 that Kings of Leon would headline in 2011, with tickets going on sale on 5 November and completely selling out in 40 mins

Thin Lizzy confirmed as support by lead singer Ricky Warwick on facebook & Twitter, This was also surrounded by rumors that Metallica would make a guest appearance

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭lfc84

what a load of rubbish. our first time at slane as well. was hoping for something better on the 30 year anniversary.

flights to belfast booked. hotel booked. coach booked.

dissapointed doesnt even come close.

there wont be a next time and I wont take such a huge gamble on booking concert tickets without knowing the line up ever again.
    :mad:

ARF !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slane_Concert#2011
    2011 marks the 30th anniversary of the event and fans had been hoping for more high profile support artistes to commemorate the occasion.
    The reaction on the official Slane Castle Facebook page was one of dismay. The vast majority of comments posted were negative and there were many posts criticising the event organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Yeah... If I knew this would have been the full line up, I'd be 80 quid richer right now.

for the money i expected better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Pauleta wrote: »
    I have to laugh at people that actually think there is a chance Muse and the Foo Fighters will be support acts. The promoter has sold the venue out (apparently) why would they pay top dollars to get 2 huge bands in even though theyve sold the tickets. Do people think that nice promoters are gonna waste their profit just to give something back to the fans. This post may bite me in the arse but if you think there is the slightest of a chance Muse or the Foo Fighters are going to be back up then you are nothing more than a simpleton.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭davedfc

Poor lineup when you consider 2 years ago. Still going to be a great day all il ask for is good weather.

davedfc wrote: »
    Poor lineup when you consider 2 years ago. Still going to be a great day all il ask for is good weather.

Or 2003 with

RHCP
    Foo Fighters
    Queens Of Stone Age
    Feeder

Or 2003 with

RHCP
    Foo Fighters
    Queens Of Stone Age
    Feeder
    Thats pretty much a dream line up for me. Pity I was 12 and not into music at that time :(

Thats pretty much a dream line up for me. Pity I was 12 and not into music at that time :(

I was 14 and there was no way i was allowed to go. IMO prob the best Slane Line Up

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

I was 14 and there was no way i was allowed to go. IMO prob the best Slane Line Up

It was good and i think pj harvey was on before all them. I was very impressed with Feeder actually out of all of the bands they really gave it socks. Queens of the stone age were ok, not their best performance. Foo Fighters were limited to an hour set and by far the best live band there, they should have been headlining really. Rhcp were solid if unspectacular.

Ok, moving on from my opinion of the line up. We're still coming over from the UK. Its our first time at Slane.

So some questions for those that have been in the past.

Will there be loads of cashpoints on site?
    Will they make you buy beer tokens before queuing up at the bar?
    Will I be able to use my credit card to buy beers / beer tokens?
    Would I be best getting a load of euro's and have cash in hand, and if so how much?
    Whats the cost of a beer?

Thanks in advance for answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

lfc84 wrote: »
    Ok, moving on from my opinion of the line up. We're still coming over from the UK. Its our first time at Slane.

So some questions for those that have been in the past.

Would I be best getting a load of euro's and have cash in hand, and if so how much?

Thanks in advance for answers.

I cant remember seeing cashpoints at Slane,could be wrong though.Bringing cash with you is the best option.Beer was 5.50 I think in 2009?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

lfc84 wrote: »
    I wouldn't rely on there being any cashpoints, queues could be massive and they could run out of money. Pints would be 5-6euro in most festivals. I think at one of them they insisted you bought 2 pints for 10, this was actually a good idea since the lines were flying along, I hate this messing about with coins. If they insist on charging 5.50 per pint I would rather get a 500ml glass for €5, meaning lines would all move much faster.

I have never heard of tokens at gigs, in oxegen they charged you a deposit on the cup, this meant it was a stronger cup but you had to go back to get your deposit back. Or you might be able to just hand it back in when getting a new pint and forego the new deposit charge.

There should be food vans in the venue, but expect to pay up to €8 for a crappy burger.

Slane is a small town, I would expect any cashpoints to be cleaned out of money, sometimes they have mobile/van cashpoint machines but I would not count on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 grainneg

Where is the best place to camp for slane? Have found two places- Castle park opp the grounds and NewRath Stud. Has anyone stayed in either? Wud prefer somewhere thats not full of 18 year olds if poss!!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

grainneg wrote: »
    Where is the best place to camp for slane? Have found two places- Castle park opp the grounds and NewRath Stud. Has anyone stayed in either? Wud prefer somewhere thats not full of 18 year olds if poss!!! :P

My brother stayed at Castle park and liked it there. Didnt know about newrath stud until you mentioned it, castle park looks to the the cheapest per person. Like it or night most places will have 18 year olds everywhere since its KOL, im not complaining since im 19 :D

Advertisement