Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kings of Leon - Slane Castle - 28 May 2011 - *No tickets sales/swaps*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Was at Slane when RHCP, Foos, QOTSA, Feeder etc played and decided to go this year.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to the Kings of Leon (saw them live in Chicago 3 years ago...fantastic when you get them on a good day).

BUT, the rest of the line-up is p1ss poor. I definitely will be taking my time getting out to Slane. Pity, in 2003 when I last went, we literally were treated to an absolutely fantastic day - each band were just amazing (well bar PJ Harvey..she's not my thing and Morcheeba were playing as well very early in the day...again not great).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

hada wrote: »
    Was at Slane when RHCP, Foos, QOTSA, Feeder etc played and decided to go this year.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to the Kings of Leon (saw them live in Chicago 3 years ago...fantastic when you get them on a good day).

BUT, the rest of the line-up is p1ss poor. I definitely will be taking my time getting out to Slane. Pity, in 2003 when I last went, we literally were treated to an absolutely fantastic day - each band were just amazing (well bar PJ Harvey..she's not my thing and Morcheeba were playing as well very early in the day...again not great).

I actually think the undercard is better Elbow and White Lies are great and Thin Lizzy will be good for the laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

I actually think the undercard is better Elbow and White Lies are great and Thin Lizzy will be good for the laugh

I'm not so sure tbh....I mean at the time, the Foos/QOTSA/Feeder could have played the O2 in their own capacity. It really was a great Slane lineup.

I can see your point about the White Lies, but they're not (yet) in the same league as those that played as the undercards in 2003. With regards Thin Lizzy....I appreciate the sentiment with having them play, but honestly, it just smacks of laziness.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

hada wrote: »
    I'm not so sure tbh....I mean at the time, the Foos/QOTSA/Feeder could have played the O2 in their own capacity. It really was a great Slane lineup.

I can see your point about the White Lies, but they're not (yet) in the same league as those that played as the undercards in 2003. With regards Thin Lizzy....I appreciate the sentiment with having them play, but honestly, it just smacks of laziness.

Oh yea i know they are not on par of previous years but its still pretty good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Mulvee

Does any1 know anything about the shuttle buses going from Dublin to Slane this year?
    I went in 09 but we ordered a bus from Tipp but 3 of us are spending the night in Dublin the night be4.
    Can't find anything on the net about times/prices etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dawnstedmond

hi,
    has anyone ever stayed in newrath stud accommodation. if so is it nice they don't give much info on their website.

dawn

• Registered Users Posts: 3 skittles87

Mc Love wrote: »
    First time heading to Slane - with a few mates and was wondering if anyone ever hired a Limo to go?

Slane is blocked by gardai about a mile either side of the village to not allow cars through so you'd want to check if the limo would have a special pass or anything, doubt it though so you might be walking a mile anyway even after paying for a limo!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Thanks for the reply Skittles! Looks like I might be getting a lift on a bus!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

This is the same night as the champions league final, there could be alot of tickets up for sale if United can finished the job off against Shalke next Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

threein99 wrote: »
    This is the same night as the champions league final, there could be alot of tickets up for sale if United can finished the job off against Shalke next Wednesday.

Is there any chance they'll have a big screen at Slane showing the match?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

PGL wrote: »
    Is there any chance they'll have a big screen at Slane showing the match?

KO is 7.45 so the second half will clash with Kings of Leon, at best they may show some on the screen beside the stage on the changeover (similar to World Cup @ Oxegen), but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 murphyrunner

hello first timer at slane also.. wondering what times is normal to kick off at and what time does it finish up.. like when will KOL start do ya think?.. get off work later and wondering if it's worth my while rockin up to meath?

thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

grainneg wrote: »
    Where is the best place to camp for slane? Have found two places- Castle park opp the grounds and NewRath Stud. Has anyone stayed in either? Wud prefer somewhere thats not full of 18 year olds if poss!!! tongue.gif
    hi,
    has anyone ever stayed in newrath stud accommodation. if so is it nice they don't give much info on their website.

dawn

Thinking of camping at slane the night before as I'm bringing my 8 year old with me and dont want to be stuck in traffic after a long drive...plus I remember only too well the length of the walk to the gig! It'll be a long enough day for her so want to keep walking to a minimum;)

In regards to the newrath stud I'm tempted as it looks nicer but there is no way looking at the map they give that its a "ten minute" walk to the castle so thats putting me off. Anyone local know the place?

The castle park grounds seem much closer but as mentioned I also dont want to be surrounded by mad party heads (in this instance:D)
    The only thing is if we head in later in the evening most people will have set up camp so we can try to find a quieter spot.

Edit: Anyone else bringing their wee ones with them...or am i the only eejit???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I'd imagine you're the only eejit :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DaraL

Does anyone know the start/finishing times? I am travelling from the West to pick up some friends after the gig and I'm wondering what time to leave at.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

There's about 500 tickets available on Ticketmaster at the moment for anyone who didn't get 'em first time round..

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

ah funny how times change. The first morning tickets were on sale, there was about 80 more posts by this time in the evening.....

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ncc98071

Anyone know if They will be showing the champions league final ,or will MCD make a statement on whetherthey will or not
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julybreeze

ttoppcat wrote: »
    Thinking of camping at slane the night before as I'm bringing my 8 year old with me and dont want to be stuck in traffic after a long drive...plus I remember only too well the length of the walk to the gig! It'll be a long enough day for her so want to keep walking to a minimum;)

In regards to the newrath stud I'm tempted as it looks nicer but there is no way looking at the map they give that its a "ten minute" walk to the castle so thats putting me off. Anyone local know the place?

The castle park grounds seem much closer but as mentioned I also dont want to be surrounded by mad party heads (in this instance:D)
    The only thing is if we head in later in the evening most people will have set up camp so we can try to find a quieter spot.

Edit: Anyone else bringing their wee ones with them...or am i the only eejit???

I camped here in 2009:
    http://www.slanefarmhostel.ie/slane-farm-hostel.asp#tab3
    Would highly recommend it, it's family run and they're really decent. Why not e-mail them and tell them you'll have a smallie with you and I'd say they'll reserve you a spot in a quiet corner.
    Good luck and I hope you both enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

ncc98071 wrote: »
    Anyone know if They will be showing the champions league final ,or will MCD make a statement on whetherthey will or not
    thanks

Read 7 posts up the page!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ncc98071

do you know that for sure though, or are will mcd let people know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭bren2001

ncc98071 wrote: »
    do you know that for sure though, or are will mcd let people know?

No they will not make an announcement to say they are not showing the match.
    It will not be shown. The world cup was only shown at Oxegen because Oxegen is a 3/4 day festival. KoL is a one day event. The final will not be shown

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

bren2001 wrote: »
    It will not be shown. The world cup was only shown at Oxegen because Oxegen is a 3/4 day festival. KoL is a one day event. The final will not be shown
    Wouldnt be the 1st time theyve shown a big match.
    Ireland-Holland in 01 comes to mind

Wouldnt be the 1st time theyve shown a big match.
    Ireland-Holland in 01 comes to mind

That was'nt a 7.45 kick off though, I would be very surprised if they showed the match given its gonna clash with the headline act

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

bren2001 wrote: »

how are you so sure? Given that it will be shown in the VIP area, I would be very surprised if there isn't a screen for the ordinary joe soaps somewhere in the field....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I wouldn't say no to missing the first few minutes of KOL for the match :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭bren2001

how are you so sure? Given that it will be shown in the VIP area, I would be very surprised if there isn't a screen for the ordinary joe soaps somewhere in the field....

Why would they put up a screen? KoL would be quite annoyed if they did too. From a *pure* financial point of view, its sold out, putting up a screen just eats into profit.

They showed the Ireland - Holland match for two reasons, one it was at 3 p.m. and secondly because there was a national interest in it i.e. Ireland were playing. It would of also meant there would of been a late surge to the event as people would stay to watch the match and then head in. They wanted to avoid this.

Have you ever been to Slane ? Its a pretty long walk into the venue from where ever your bus gets dropped if it was shown in a field you would be lucky to see any of kings of leon. Im not going so its no problem for me but as a United fan if I had to choose between watching KOL or a champions league final, United win it hands down every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

threein99 wrote: »
    but as a United fan if I had to choose between watching KOL or a champions league final, United win it hands down every time.

:confused::confused:

I'm a woman so I guess I will never understand...

• Advertisement

:confused::confused:

I'm a woman so I guess I will never understand...

haha well Kings of Leons concerts come along pretty much every year, champions league finals united are in dont.

Advertisement