Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kings of Leon - Slane Castle - 28 May 2011 - *No tickets sales/swaps*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Kazbah wrote: »
    I don't know what to wear with these showers forecast. Don't want to be traipsing around all day with a rain jacket and don't want to be soaked. Equally confused on the footwear. Anyone care to guess if it will be very muddy?

wear wellies, that's all I'm saying.

majority of people will be anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

only 1 song off the first album .disgraceful. my favourite band that play none of my favourite songs live any more.

If you were listening to Tony Fenton today, Nathan said that they have been rehearsing songs they havent played in 8 years!! Sooo maybe they will be playing all our favs! I hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭congress3

Any point going up Friday night?
    Anything else apart from thhe gig with republic of Loose playing?
    Anyone know if there are still tickets available for this gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

kelkin wrote: »
    hey guys me nd my friends are heading to slane for the first time next week and we're just wondering if any one has any tips for us like should we bring chairs?whats the situation with alcohol can we bring it in or what? what time should we get the bus at the first one's at 12 is that too early? or anything else you can think of that we should know?

Just go with the flow! Try and get a bit of drink in (one or two bottles in your sleeve) but don't try and bring a 24 pack in with ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 molli85

Hey guys. Just wondering what drink is served tomorrow?! what kinds of beer are available? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 molli85

weather is looking good for tomorrow woop woop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

molli85 wrote: »
    Hey guys. Just wondering what drink is served tomorrow?! what kinds of beer are available? :)
    Think its Heiniken mainly, they usually tend to sponsor events like this . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Leaving in 2 hours woop woop.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

Bringing the wellies anyway, even if the rain holds off its gonna be a mudfest..still reckon we'll be freezing tho so counting on alcohol to heat us up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Their uncle passed away this morning,they're v upset. Hope they'll b ok for the gig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

MastiffMrs wrote: »
    Their uncle passed away this morning,they're v upset. Hope they'll b ok for the gig

Very sad news for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

MastiffMrs wrote: »

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

They're off to do soundcheck now.its gonna b mighty!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Anyone know how much it costs to park in the car parks in Slane?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Tickets on sale for it on the Ticketmaster website, bit odd for a gig that was supposed to be sold out 6 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Any reports yet?Atmosphere/Music/Weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭mark182

Any reports yet?Atmosphere/Music/Weather?

I've been told they are playing loads of their old stuff, really crowded and bit of wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Tickets on sale for it on the Ticketmaster website, bit odd for a gig that was supposed to be sold out 6 months ago.

It's not uncommon that they'll hold a few tickets back and release them just before the concert to deflate the black market prices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

Four kicks
    Taper Jean girl
    The bucket
    Happy alone
    spiral staircase
    Mollys chambers
    On call
    Fans
    Revelry
    Notion
    Radioactive
    Trani
    The runner
    Black thumbnail
    Mc fearless
    Sex on fire
    Cold desert
    Use somebody
    No money
    The immortals
    Southbound
    Mi amigo
    Charmer
    Pyro
    Crawl
    Closer
    Manhattan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Were they good, bad or terrible?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Sin_J

KoL sounded good but i feel they played very by the numbers. Never felt any real presence or connection with the crowd at least compared other gigs i've been to.
    Elbow were great. A bit of banter and back and forth. Just seemed like they were more into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭jim69

sounds like bollox,not worth opening curtains out back window dont mind slane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭autonomy

Four kicks
    Taper Jean girl
    The bucket
    Happy alone
    spiral staircase
    Mollys chambers
    On call
    Fans
    Revelry
    Notion
    Radioactive
    Trani
    The runner
    Black thumbnail
    Mc fearless
    Sex on fire
    Cold desert
    Use somebody
    No money
    The immortals
    Southbound
    Mi amigo
    Charmer
    Pyro
    Crawl
    Closer
    Manhattan
    Thought they would leave trani till the end

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

First 6 or 7 songs were awesome :D

Never felt like they were really into it, could have been in any field anywhere in the world, didn't really do Slane justice imo.

Crazy bar queues :(

White Lies are a quality outfit, Elbow excellent as always, didn't really feel the Thin Lizzy buzz, sounded a bit dated in all honesty.

Still love Slane :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Wasn't at this but have seen KoL a couple of times and "not that into it" would be how I'd describe them the other times too. Is that not just their style of playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

That setlist isn't accurate as Sex on Fire was way earlier than that. I can't correct it as I'm not a massive fan and went for the whole Slane experience. I'd read previously about the lack of interation with the crowd but they did do better on that score than I was expecting. In regards the music they gave it there all but I thought it a very strange comment to announce after 1 hour 20 minutes that was the longest they ever played??? How long do they normally play? It isn't like they are short of material!!!
    I thought the support acts were very good on the whole and loved the Lizzy set. I was apprehensive as to how I'd feel seeing them minus Philo but I was very impressed. Lizzy aside White Lies were my favourite support. Elbow started poorly with the lead singer rubbing the crowd up the wrong way but credit to him for turning it around and after the 1st couple of songs they were great. I liked some of the slower numbers they performed and might even invest in a couple of their albums!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Garlic Suplmnt

My first and last time at Slane. I've never been anywhere as menacing in my life, lots and lots of drunk and aggressive people all the way into the venue and throughout the venue itself. Plenty of scenes of random violence, people making nuisances of themselves, randon sociopathic displays aplenty - just f**king horrible and not the kind of environment I'll ever put myself in again if I can avoid it, I don't care who's playing.

Elbow were awesome though! A much appreciated counter-point to the 6 hellish hours worth of lows...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Raoul

Thought KOL were very good, thought the rest of bands were pretty poor. Elbow bored the arse off me :mad:. Seriously, "are you ok?", after every song, "are you sure you are ok?", YES I AM!!!! Asking the crowd are they ok about 50 times is not really good crowd banter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

I've seen Kings of Leon about 4 times now and they never ever engage with the crowd. Your man Caleb has said he ****s himself on stage most of the time. They don't have the stage presence for these type of gigs at all in my opinion. Every now and then between songs he just says something inane like "Hello (insert city/venue here), we are Kings of Leon" to get a token cheer.

Of all the times I have seen them, the only good gig was the Olympia in 2003. They absolutely blew the roof off the place and the atmosphere was incredible. Hardly any crowd interaction again, but then they were touring the first album and played it in its entirety, the tunes were more than enough to sustain the whole show.

I walked away from their set at Oxygen once they were so boring.

Advertisement