Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kings of Leon - Slane Castle - 28 May 2011 - *No tickets sales/swaps*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

My first and last time at Slane. I've never been anywhere as menacing in my life, lots and lots of drunk and aggressive people all the way into the venue and throughout the venue itself. Plenty of scenes of random violence, people making nuisances of themselves, randon sociopathic displays aplenty - just f**king horrible and not the kind of environment I'll ever put myself in again if I can avoid it,.

That just about sums up Ireland in general, not Slane specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭cmyk

My first and last time at Slane. I've never been anywhere as menacing in my life, lots and lots of drunk and aggressive people all the way into the venue and throughout the venue itself. Plenty of scenes of random violence, people making nuisances of themselves, randon sociopathic displays aplenty - just f**king horrible and not the kind of environment I'll ever put myself in again if I can avoid it, I don't care who's playing.

Elbow were awesome though! A much appreciated counter-point to the 6 hellish hours worth of lows...

This was really rough in places alright, with some just going down to cause trouble. Though I heard yesterday was nothing compared to oasis.

In terms of the gig, if you weren't in the initial area, the sound for lizzy and elbow was terrible, could've been the wind though as it got much better for KOL and wind died down.

Really disappointed with KOL, had heard they were to play most of their first two albums and that new fans would be disappointed, however I think those fans were quite pleased, they played most, if not all of their new album. And yes trani was near the end so that playlist isn't quite right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

musicmania wrote: »
    That setlist isn't accurate as Sex on Fire was way earlier than that. I can't correct it as I'm not a massive fan and went for the whole Slane experience. I'd read previously about the lack of interation with the crowd but they did do better on that score than I was expecting. In regards the music they gave it there all but I thought it a very strange comment to announce after 1 hour 20 minutes that was the longest they ever played??? How long do they normally play? It isn't like they are short of material!!!
    I thought the support acts were very good on the whole and loved the Lizzy set. I was apprehensive as to how I'd feel seeing them minus Philo but I was very impressed. Lizzy aside White Lies were my favourite support. Elbow started poorly with the lead singer rubbing the crowd up the wrong way but credit to him for turning it around and after the 1st couple of songs they were great. I liked some of the slower numbers they performed and might even invest in a couple of their albums!
    Yeah they are not in the right order. And I left out "Mary"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

Still thought it was a logistical nightmare

Only managed to get 4 pints all day, and didn't get back to parnell square until 0210 and they finished at 1030

It's a disaster of a venue

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I was down not too far from the stage and maybe its the crowd that makes it but I though KOL were excellent. People around us really got into it, singing every song word for word. The atmosphere was great. I seen no hassle or trouble at all but I'm sure in a crowd that big there was some. Lizzy was quite poor I though, the lead singer seemed to think it was his show, Elbow were very good but there was not a great response from the crowd. I had a great time.

I queued for the bar once but its was too long, in fairness I went to see a bad, I could have stayed in Dublin to go drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

When will people ever learn about Slane, even after the fiasco that was Oasis in '09 it seems the problems still persist with 80,000 trying to get out of a tiny village at 11pm. I went to one gig there ages ago and have not been back, it can be a great day out for sure, but getting home is a bloody nightmare.

Have heard mixed reports about KOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Joeface

I will start with , not really a KOL fan , some of there stuff is good.
    GF is big fan . Have to say Live they are pretty damn good . Crowd where we were got in to every thing. made the show.

Elbow were very good .Great music , Good performance, kinda wrong venue , Crowd only responded to , "grounds for Divorce" and "One Day Like This"(always gets a crowd going) .Thin Lizzy ...bit take it or leave it can't really decide.

think I saw maybe 4 -5 ppl stretchered out and that was before a single track of any band had played . WHY SPEND €79 and bus fare to be so off your head you miss everything.

leaving , on the bus at 11.50ish ,an Hour or more stuck in the same spot on the bus , but once it moved was 20min getting back to Drogheda , then epic driving back to limerick , Home at 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

All I can say is Im delighted I didn't go, even though its only up the road from me. Slane has lost what it used to be imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

dont know what people are on about on here, there was 4 of us at it yesterday, we were back in dublin city centre and eatin an eddie rockets on o'connell street by half 1!? i was at slane the year of oasis and yesterday was such a step up in organisation! i had a great time as did everyone with me, had no problem gettin to the bar on the back right!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I did not queue once to get into the gig and on the way out, we were lucky and landed when they changed the queues so we got straight onto a bus. I stayed behind to watch the fireworks and was also in supermacs at 1am on O'Connell street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

People that went the the Slane this year are not really festival goers. A good few friends of mine went and they never go to concerts or festivals. They just went because it was the KOL.

To be honest most of the people there would be happy if the concert was a fella taking a dump on stage for two hours, they would have though it was class. Just the type of person that is a KOL fan.

They are not really into music or art etc they are just into having a drunkin laugh or following what is popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭ko4jm6y9iwv2lc

Drove up again this year no traffic at all on the M1 from Dublin. We had a good laugh in the car park drinking away for a few hours.

Snuck a few naggins into the venue so didnt have to queue at all for drink. Managed to get right down to the front of the stage just outside the pit.

Made it in on time to see all Elbows and KOLs sets. Thought they were both very good and crowd around us was well up for it singing away etc.

Stayed around to watch the fireworks then went back to the car park. Slept in the car until 7am then hit the empty roads back to Dublin.

Hassle free way to enjoy Slane me thinks! We had a great night!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

it was a bit messy alright. the queues for the bar were carnage i thought. i queued for 40 mins.

thought Elbow were great. i love them anyway and i am a Kings of Leon fan anyway but i thought they were great, they are like that anyway with the crowd interaction and just play. i thought 25 songs without a break was pretty good going and considering their uncle died on friday, i think they wanted to get through it and be done. thought the encore was great and loved some of the older songs...

i got nailed in the carpark (i was in carpark 2) where there was a nice line of cars and loads of f**kers kept cutting in further up the field. i was one of the first back at the car park and once of the last leaving! rage...back to Galway for around 3 but didnt mind (i did get abit all over the place on what i thought were backroads...somehow i found the motorway!! :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

they didnt even play king of the rodeo :( what ****

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭goodgolfer64

Possibly the poorest slane ive been to in the last 13 years bar bryan adams...i enjoyed KOL but the rest were average/poor...years ago there were support groups like foo fighters,prodigy,robbie williams who knew how to entertain no matter what musical preferance... yesterday we had ELBOW?????
    coming in from north side was a DISASTER!!!normally a large skip where people throw bottles into when passing security check..this year wheelie bins and black bags??? forced to walk up line on broken bottles and waste everywhere....use to be able to drive up fairly close to grasslands fertilisers i think it is on left hand side....this and 2 years ago MCD/garda have moved it way back....never walked so far away to get to checkpoint...fields on right hand side empty...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭PaulieG

Honestly, I cannot believe some people are saying Elbow were good! I've never been so disappointed in a band's live performance in my life. They were dull and boring. Just awful! When the first reaction you get from the crowd is on your last song, you haven't been good!
    The Kings of Leon was just brilliant! They came out, picked up their instruments, did the business and then fecked off. No SHlTE-talking between songs. Loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

I was lucky to be in the pit:D KOL were great really enjoyed the event. Elbow were very meh did enjoy them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

PaulieG wrote: »
    Honestly, I cannot believe some people are saying Elbow were good! I've never been so disappointed in a band's live performance in my life. They were dull and boring. Just awful! When the first reaction you get from the crowd is on your last song, you haven't been good!
    The Kings of Leon was just brilliant! They came out, picked up their instruments, did the business and then fecked off. No SHlTE-talking between songs. Loved it!

elbow are a totally different band to KOL. I don't really expect a KOL fan to be able to understand Elbow's music to be honest.

Stick to the simple radio pop like KOL and leave Elbow to us. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

I enjoyed the gig. I thought KOL were better than I expected them to be. Little stagecraft but hey what did anyone expect. I'm a big elbow fan but I didn't expect them to perform in a venue of that size and I was right. Lizzly were a pastiche but once again what did anyone expect. I was bak in wexford at 1.30, parked at the furthest car park out on the Navan side and zipped through the back roads to Ashbourne.

We had a good spot after Lizzy three back from the barrier. Only downside were the constant Q of Sh@@heads trying to lever you out of the way to get in front of you. Them"Can I get past you?".Me- No.Them- "Why" Me-Because we're two from the barrier and I've been standing here for the last two hours. Them-Tries squeezing past anyway. Me-F@@K off. Them- OK MAN!. Repeat.only real downer.

BTW I'm not normally aggresive and never so at concerts. Slane has a unique punter profile though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

dedon wrote: »
    People that went the the Slane this year are not really festival goers. A good few friends of mine went and they never go to concerts or festivals. They just went because it was the KOL.

To be honest most of the people there would be happy if the concert was a fella taking a dump on stage for two hours, they would have though it was class. Just the type of person that is a KOL fan.

They are not really into music or art etc they are just into having a drunkin laugh or following what is popular.

I think it's the opposite. It's popular to slate KOL at the moment because some reviewer on Pitchfork says so.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

My first and last time at Slane. I've never been anywhere as menacing in my life, lots and lots of drunk and aggressive people all the way into the venue and throughout the venue itself. Plenty of scenes of random violence, people making nuisances of themselves, randon sociopathic displays aplenty - just f**king horrible and not the kind of environment I'll ever put myself in again if I can avoid it, I don't care who's playing.

Good, don't come back, we don't want you.
    Have people forgotten that this is a Rock Concert, and some people are trying to keep it true to that spirit by doing all those stupid acts that you have just said, or another words by actually "rocking"!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

dedon wrote: »
    elbow are a totally different band to KOL. I don't really expect a KOL fan to be able to understand Elbow's music to be honest.

Stick to the simple radio pop like KOL and leave Elbow to us. Cheers.

Jesus I really hate superior attitudes that some people have when it comes to music and films.
    People have different opinions - get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Yesterday was definitely my easiest Slane experience ever. We came in the Navan side, got to carpark no hassle then a ten minute stroll and we were there!
    Brought my 8year old with me and she had a ball. Had a lovely day chilling on hte hill...thought Mona and White Lies were excellent. It started getting a bit packed when Lizzy came on so was distracted as we moved back up the hil as it was a bit full on for the wee woman. The only problem I had with yesterday was it seemed very packed..even at the back there was no where to just sit and chill out (normally not an issue for me in fairness;))
    The Kings opening 20 mins was a joy to behold..could not believe how many of the oldies we got:D Thought they played well and even though some of the newer stuff doesnt grab me, I thought Pyro and Radioactive sounded great live.
    My only regret is I missed Caleb doing the Runner solo for his uncle. We left early to avoid the crowds. Plain sailing coming out too. Slane still holds as my fave outdoor venue!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

razorblunt wrote: »
    Jesus I really hate superior attitudes that some people have when it comes to music and films.
    People have different opinions - get over it.

Too true. I like Lady Gaga, and I also like The Flaming Lips. Why am I not allowed to like both?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

The toilet situation was dire. Why didn't they have a few more blocks. The queue for the bar was nuts as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

I think the Kings of Leon were very good. Only caught the end of Elbow. THe queue for the beer tent was a disgrace big crowds and a few crushes. Nice pub in the town too ot have a few beers before headin in. Got lost coming out and must have walked four miles out of my way

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Still thought it was a logistical nightmare

Only managed to get 4 pints all day, and didn't get back to parnell square until 0210 and they finished at 1030

It's a disaster of a venue

You were travelling on a 40mph dublin bus. You left that bit out. Got back to parnell square at 12.40 and there were loads of buses before us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Good, don't come back, we don't want you.
    Have people forgotten that this is a Rock Concert, and some people are trying to keep it true to that spirit by doing all those stupid acts that you have just said, or another words by actually "rocking"!

Its not really a proper "Rock Concert". The KOL are more of a Pop band. A real "Rock Concert" similar to the Slane venue would be AC/DC at Punchestown. Same sized attendance and no trouble whatsoever because it was an actual rock crowd rather than a Pop music crowd. I dont mind the KOL. If i was offered a ticket on the cheap that wasnt in Slane i would go see them but they are not what i would call a Rock band.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

I don't understand the bad attitude and hostility towards some people because they felt intimidated or didn't particularly enjoy Elbow.

Nobody has the right to tell somebody what's worth listening to.

Also, claiming that a KOL fan wouldn't be expected to like Elbow seems a bit rich coming from someone who has obviously gone down to see KOL themselves.

Advertisement