Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kings of Leon - Slane Castle - 28 May 2011 - *No tickets sales/swaps*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

Pauleta wrote: »
    Its not really a proper "Rock Concert". The KOL are more of a Pop band. A real "Rock Concert" similar to the Slane venue would be AC/DC at Punchestown. Same sized attendance and no trouble whatsoever because it was an actual rock crowd rather than a Pop music crowd. I dont mind the KOL. If i was offered a ticket on the cheap that wasnt in Slane i would go see them but they are not what i would call a Rock band.

They're in the rock category. Just because they have to have one or two songs that are poppy for album sales doesn't mean they do not have a rock sound. Rock isn't just one generalized genre. There is many different degrees.

It was a rock concert. Thin Lizzy wouldn't have played Emerald if it wasn't a rock concert.

Not to mention did you hear KOL's set list, there was a load of old songs on it, and very very heavy intro!

As I was saying, it's a rock concert, people shouldn't complain about others rocking out.

Pauleta wrote: »
    If i was offered a ticket on the cheap that wasnt in Slane i would go see themQUOTE]
    What wrong with Slane? It's pretty much the most perfect venue for an outdoor concert because of the geography. It's great for the economy of the village.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's pretty much the most perfect venue for an outdoor concert because of the geography.

How the in the name of jesus do you come to that conclusion? It's a fúcking field in the middle of nowhere, there's plenty of them in Ireland if you hadn't noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭lily4

OK my tuppence worth...

I'm not a massive KOL fan and ended up going as a friend of mine had a spare ticket. I am a music fan however and like going to gigs, but prefer smaller gigs in general.

My last Slane experience was Red Hot Chilli Peppers in 03 - totally rocking!

We got the bus up from Cork and got inside the venue when White Lies were playing. The walk in was a bit annoying with lots of drunk girls wearing the generic festival 'outfit' of flowery wellies,mini shorts and fake tan (yuk).

Once inside though the crowd was chilled/ more 'mature' and defo there for the music. The bar was free and was v easy to get pints up until about 7 ...

White Lies and Mona - were ok , didn't really do much for me but that's personal opinion really.
    Loved Thin Lizzy, they rocked IMO
    Elbow - super performance, bar the 'are you ok' remarks, but wrong venue me thinks - more suited to a smaller venue
    KOL - totally rocked the place - superb sound and some connection with the audience along the lines of 'We're so glad you're all here to share this experience with us' - I get the impression they're really just shy hippies underneath all the hype :). I totally enjoyed their set though.

A long walk back to the bus and got back to Cork at 4 !

Overall didn't see any trouble, a few drunk idiots (but they're everywhere) - it seemed fairly well organised overall and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole day. The toilets were kept fairly clean too which is a bonus.

I think the secret is to go in early and enjoy the afternoon, have your few drinks early and spend the rest of the night rocking/ grooving.

I'd definitely go again and I'm an old bird

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭davedfc

Well the last slane might have been all about the ques out of slane heading for dublin but this year it was unbelieveably bad heading for the north sitting on the bus for over an hour without moving is not fun probably live about half hour from slane but wasnt back home till half 2. Apart from that it was a great day kings of leon were class.

• Advertisement

How the in the name of jesus do you come to that conclusion? It's a fúcking field in the middle of nowhere, there's plenty of them in Ireland if you hadn't noticed.

It's not your average field. It's on gently sloping hill, making the stage seen from all areas unlike venues like marley park. It has hallowing castle overshadowing the entire concert, giving it an excellent athmosphere.
    The arena is only a 45 minute drive from dublin on your average regular day (about the same as it is to Punches town).

It's highly renown all over the world for being the biggest single day concert in Ireland. Many DVD's have been made of it, including the new KOL one coming this November.

In order to play Slane, you have to sell it out. Not just any act can go and play there.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭davedfc

Many DVD's have been made of it, including the new KOL one coming this November.
    Was slane yesterday recorded or is this the documentary the band were talking about over the last few days which features there recently deceased uncle cleo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

I thought it was a great concert but the queues really let it down. I didn't go to the bar and I thought the queues for food weren't that bad but there wasn't near enough toilets there. The ladies at the top of the hill got dangerous at one stage there was such a crush of people trying to get to them.

There should have been way more toilets than what were there, and they should have been more spread out around the field too. There was an area outside the concert where lots of people sat down with their food and drink before going in, there were about 10 toilets there for over 1000 people. The men were just p*ssing against the barriers, which isn't what people want to see but it's perfectly understandable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Good, don't come back, we don't want you.
    Have people forgotten that this is a Rock Concert, and some people are trying to keep it true to that spirit by doing all those stupid acts that you have just said, or another words by actually "rocking"!

Acting like a scumbag is 'rocking'. Oh go away will you.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

julyjane wrote: »
    I thought it was a great concert but the queues really let it down. I didn't go to the bar and I thought the queues for food weren't that bad but there wasn't near enough toilets there. The ladies at the top of the hill got dangerous at one stage there was such a crush of people trying to get to them.

There should have been way more toilets than what were there, and they should have been more spread out around the field too. There was an area outside the concert where lots of people sat down with their food and drink before going in, there were about 10 toilets there for over 1000 people. The men were just p*ssing against the barriers, which isn't what people want to see but it's perfectly understandable.

In fairness the concert promoters could hardly plan for people to sit down outside the concert area. Im sure the plan was that most people would enter the concert area when they arrived.

• Advertisement

In fairness the concert promoters could hardly plan for people to sit down outside the concert area. Im sure the plan was that most people would enter the concert area when they arrived.

True but there were thousands of people getting off buses in that area, some of them after long drives so at peak times there is going to be a huge demand for toilets anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

julyjane wrote: »
    True but there were thousands of people getting off buses in that area, some of them after long drives so at peak times there is going to be a huge demand for toilets anyway

There was a large number of toilets at the dublin bus-stop so it may have been different wherever you are talking about. Still though bringing up toilet facilities outside the venue is being very picky. People made a choice to sit there rather than make there way to the venue where there was better toilet facilities.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Acting like a scumbag is 'rocking'. Oh go away will you.

Since when is moshing, crowd surfing and building human towers acting like a scumbag??

There was a large number of toilets at the dublin bus-stop so it may have been different wherever you are talking about. Still though bringing up toilet facilities outside the venue is being very picky. People made a choice to sit there rather than make there way to the venue where there was better toilet facilities.

The toilets were just as bad inside. Well they were reasonably clean for portaloos but there just wasn't enough of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭nowayout1

can anybody tell me what was on the screens behind the stage saying at the end all i could see was 1971-2011?? it wasn't saying RIP CLEO was it? he looked older than 40 in the videos when caleb was singing "the runner"

i taught the gig was good and the ques for food was ok but the ques for toilets and the bars were dire i know they made a huge improvement since oasis but i can't see how you can do more with the size very limited to be honest, catch 22 cant add more toilets by getting rid of a bar cause bars would be worse and visa versa

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

nowayout1 wrote: »
    can anybody tell me what was on the screens behind the stage saying at the end all i could see was 1971-2011?? it wasn't saying RIP CLEO was it? he looked older than 40 in the videos when caleb was singing "the runner"

i taught the gig was good and the ques for food was ok but the ques for toilets and the bars were dire i know they made a huge improvement since oasis but i can't see how you can do more with the size very limited to be honest, catch 22 cant add more toilets by getting rid of a bar cause bars would be worse and visa versa

Its 30 years of Slane

Since when is moshing, crowd surfing and building human towers acting like a scumbag??

This is the post you quoted

My first and last time at Slane. I've never been anywhere as menacing in my life, lots and lots of drunk and aggressive people all the way into the venue and throughout the venue itself. Plenty of scenes of random violence, people making nuisances of themselves, randon sociopathic displays aplenty - just f**king horrible and not the kind of environment I'll ever put myself in again if I can avoid it, I don't care who's playing.

Elbow were awesome though! A much appreciated counter-point to the 6 hellish hours worth of lows...

The bit I put in bold is scumbag bull****.

And moshing at a Kings of Leon concert? Really? LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

It said Des Fallon, 1971-2011. Nothing to do with 30 years of Slane. A google search tells me he was company director of XL Video (source)

I thought they might have made a bigger deal about it being 30 years but I didn't see or hear anything on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭sc000by

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MonTheBiffy

Getting there - Grand
    Getting in - Grand
    Getting down the front - Grand
    Weather - Grand
    Music - Unbelievable
    Atmosphere - Unreal
    Number of douchebags - about 2

Everybody I seen there got on just fine with each other. No acts of violence etc. People here complaining that KOL aren't rock can jog on. Who are you to decide? If you were to describe a rock star what would it be? Long hair, drinks lots, smokes pot, does drugs, makes epic music? Well thats KOL. If you don't like get of the Kings Of Leon Slane thread and stop slating a band thats just given 85,000 the best show of their lives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Getting there - Grand
    Getting in - Grand
    Getting down the front - Grand
    Weather - Grand
    Music - Unbelievable
    Atmosphere - Unreal
    Number of douchebags - about 2

Everybody I seen there got on just fine with each other. No acts of violence etc. People here complaining that KOL aren't rock can jog on. Who are you to decide? If you were to describe a rock star what would it be? Long hair, drinks lots, smokes pot, does drugs, makes epic music? Well thats KOL. If you don't like get of the Kings Of Leon Slane thread and stop slating a band thats just given 85,000 the best show of their lives
    Then these 85000 really need to see some good live bands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cliche Guevara

Thought it was a great day out to be fair. Never been so Slane before, but loved the venue. Not without it's problems though.

We sat up on the banks of the road not far from the buses and had a few drinks and a bit of food. The atmosphere even there was great, though there was a pretty big row at one point, but thats to be expected. When we left to make our way the place was a mess, broken bottles all over the place, but fair play to the people who had it all cleaned up by the time we were walking back. The walk to the actual venue was a pain in the arse though, 45minutes it took us.

I was with a load of people who have never been to a concert before, let alone anything that size, so to see their faces when we got in was brilliant :D.

As for KoL, I have to admit, I didn't really like them that much anymore, hated their last 2 albums, loved the 1st 3, so was worried that they might not play much older stuff, but the opening few song blew me away, and I completely got into it from then on, it didnt matter what they played, we were having a ball. The atmosphere was brilliant. One thing that could have improved it, if only slightly, was a big screen to the left of the stage, the one they had was angled in a way that it wasnt of much use.

Even though I had a blast, looking back on it today, I'm not sure if KoL are a band that should be headlining such huge gigs. No disrespect to them, they are fantastic live, but they didnt really have that extra bit of magic for me. But perhaps that was due to being so far back, and not being able to see much, however the lack of crowd interaction was somewhat disappointing, for me it felt a somewhat by the numbers performance.

Had a good laugh at the expense of my friends too on the way home, they are not fans of rock music, they like anything thats in the charts, and only knew the most popular KoL songs. They claimed that no one will be able to follow KoL as there is nobody bigger than them, :D

All in all though, I had a great time, and will definately be going back next year regardless of who plays.
    (Apologies for such a long post, lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 relyonalie

This was a nightmare, from when we got off the bus there was just drunk fools everywhere! why is it that when people go to a gig they have to try drink as much as they can and get messy drunk?, the amount of people i seen that could hardly stand was unreal, loads of scum there too just out to cause trouble, seen 3 different fights through out the day, all in all not a good day don't think i'll ever be headin back there!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MonTheBiffy

Then these 85000 really need to see some good live bands

For gods sake man, they are a good live band. They may not spend half an hour asking you do you enjoy the rain, they may not roll around on stage but they sure as hell put everything into their shows and usually play immaculately. Somebody yesterday said to me its like one of their albums only better and I personally think that that is pretty damn good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

They do not give the slightest f*ck about anything beyond the paycheck at the end of the gig, and it shows. I've seen them a few times, and each performance has been more insultingly disinterested than the last.

They don't put anything into their live performances. Not for a single second. They've phoned in every set I've seen out of them, and by all accounts this time was no different. If you're a Kings of Leon fan that's fine, but they absolutely don't measure up to any of the great live bands from any era including this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

relyonalie wrote: »
    This was a nightmare, from when we got off the bus there was just drunk fools everywhere! why is it that when people go to a gig they have to try drink as much as they can and get messy drunk?, the amount of people i seen that could hardly stand was unreal, loads of scum there too just out to cause trouble, seen 3 different fights through out the day, all in all not a good day don't think i'll ever be headin back there!

to be fair i was at roger waters on monday and tuesday night in the o2 and there was far more scumbags at that than at slane yesterday. people get drunk at gigs, it happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

one thing that did annoy me was when they started playin trani, i started going ****!n nuts and people around me were looking at me like i had 2 heads, as if to say what the hell is this!? this isnt kings of leon, that really did annoy me!

People here complaining that KOL aren't rock can jog on. Who are you to decide? If you were to describe a rock star what would it be? Long hair, drinks lots, smokes pot, does drugs, makes epic music? Well thats KOL.

OMG. I never knew they were so awesome. They drink lots and smoke pot. That's me sold. What other drugs do they do? I hope it is something rock n roll like heroin. Silly me, it couldn't be anything else. Those guys are badass

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

flas wrote: »
    one thing that did annoy me was when they started playin trani, i started going ****!n nuts and people around me were looking at me like i had 2 heads, as if to say what the hell is this!? this isnt kings of leon, that really did annoy me!

Best song of the night. I was screaming my head off while a load of peroxide blonde teeny boppers stood in silence- the same crowd who thought sex on fire was the pinnacle of their work.

I know it's cliche but this band literally has two different followings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Overall I enjoyed it. We were down at Slane from about 10.30, just decided to start queuing. We ended up down at the barrier just between Jared and the big speakers on the right. I thought the Whigs were a good start, Mona kept the energy going. But White Lies bored the pants off me, found myself nearly dosing off at one point. Thin Lizzy were absolutely awesome, I was disappointed when they pulled out of the Metallica gig back in '09 so I was glad I finally had a chance to see them. Elbow I was really disappointed with. Having loved their show at Oxegen 2009 I had high hopes, but I just found myself being bored again aside from "Grounds of Divorce" and "One Day like This". I feel the show would have worked alot better if Thin Lizzy and Elbow were switched in the running order. Lizzy had really gotten me hyped up and it was the slap in the face the crowd needed, but I just felt Elbow bored the crowd again =/

Anyway Kings Of Leon. I am not the biggest fan in the world, hell I even ****ed up a radio competition for free tickets when they asked me to name the song (It was Mollys Chambers, I stupidly said the Bucket), but my girlfriend is a huge fan. Now there was a lack of crowd interaction, but I felt it was a pretty good show. They sounded exactly like they would on CD. Not the best live band out there but they put on a pretty good show. To top it off my girlfriend got one of Nathans drumsticks which she was delighted with.

Getting home though completely ruined the evening. 80,000 people moving in pretty much one direction is expected to be chaotic though. It took us about an hour to get to the bus station. I am from Rush in North Dublin so the plan was to get a bus to Drogheda then a lift from Drogheda. We got on the bus no problem and were on the road by 12. However we did not move an inch until about 2am - 2.30. Back home at about 3, my lift had been waiting since 1am for us but it was just horrible not moving for so long. Just glad we were sitting down on the bus so we could get some me needed sleep while waiting

Advertisement