Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kings of Leon - Slane Castle - 28 May 2011 - *No tickets sales/swaps*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

So who do people think will play Slane next year? Could we see RHCP again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

julyjane wrote: »
    I thought it was a great concert but the queues really let it down. I didn't go to the bar and I thought the queues for food weren't that bad but there wasn't near enough toilets there. The ladies at the top of the hill got dangerous at one stage there was such a crush of people trying to get to them.

There should have been way more toilets than what were there, and they should have been more spread out around the field too. There was an area outside the concert where lots of people sat down with their food and drink before going in, there were about 10 toilets there for over 1000 people. The men were just p*ssing against the barriers, which isn't what people want to see but it's perfectly understandable.

We came in the Navan side and there were lots of toilets over there. On both sides of the lane for about 40 metres. Must have been about 80 toilets at an estimate. We only arrived around 8pm but no queues for toilets at that time and they were very clean with sanitizer as well. Very impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 amywise9

Were there stewards and marshalls to control crowds backed up by Gardai?
    Any drunks causing trouble should have been reefed out of the place.
    In Germany a friend says you can drink at open air concerts but if you are falling around the place pissed out of your mind or caught weeing in public you are arrested and thrown out of the gig. No questions.

The media does't report all the fights and the pissheads at concerts like Slane because they receive nice VIP passes and mix with the great and the good backstage.

Another great payday for Lord Henry but really he should explain why these drunken idiots are permitted into the venue.

I thought being drunk in a public place was a criminal offence so why didn't the gardai move in and arrest those idiots?

Maybe Lord Henry or the concert promoters would like to explain that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

amywise9 wrote: »
    In Germany a friend says you can drink at open air concerts but if you are falling around the place pissed out of your mind or caught weeing in public you are arrested and thrown out of the gig. No questions.

The media does't report all the fights and the pissheads at concerts like Slane because they receive nice VIP passes and mix with the great and the good backstage.

Another great payday for Lord Henry but really he should explain why these drunken idiots are permitted into the venue.

I thought being drunk in a public place was a criminal offence so why didn't the gardai move in and arrest those idiots?

You seriously wanted 20k people arrested???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

i have seen the same amount of people falling around european festivals as irish festivals, its not just irish people who get drunk, such crap being spouted on here its ridiculous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Can anybody help?

Myself and the wife were at the concert, first time at Slane and neither massive KOL fans BEFORE seeing them live(are now) but they played a song maybe more than midway through their set and wanna find out the name of the song, it was kinda a soft song which iirc kinda changed tempo right at the end. Not a great description but any suggestions be great thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

theboss80 wrote: »
    Can anybody help?

Myself and the wife were at the concert, first time at Slane and neither massive KOL fans BEFORE seeing them live(are now) but they played a song maybe more than midway through their set and wanna find out the name of the song, it was kinda a soft song which iirc kinda changed tempo right at the end. Not a great description but any suggestions be great thanks

Trani?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

I think the ridiculous queues at the bar of 45min to an hour is some of the reason why some people got so drunk. When it took that long to get a drink and they were handing out carriers for 4 pints people got a few in one go. Not very sensible but I'm sure it has happened to most people at some stage in their lives that they were a bit silly with drink. While no harm was done re violence, public order offenses etc I wouldn't advocate people should be arrested at a concert for falling around drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I could never go to Slane again because of the accepted lawlessness. Years ago you would see the odd drunk person around. Now it is about one in three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

L'prof wrote: »
    You seriously wanted 20k people arrested???

You're right. It should be ignored because there is too many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Chuky Dandy

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I was at Roger too and noticed the same thing. I can't figure out the urge to go out and get catatonic drunk. Whatever about doing it after the show, it's ridiculous to get so drunk that you don't have a clue where you are, during the show

Couldn't agree more. I was at Roger Waters and Slane, and the Slane crowd wasn't any less civilised than the Roger Waters crowd. Only difference was at Roger's gig there were lots of drunken sweaty middle-aged men, and at Slane there were lots of drunken sweaty young people.
    Though I don'tt think the drunken levels at Slane were as bad as people are saying here. Only saw 1 fight and that was on the way in.

Can't understand the nonsense here against KOL and their fans. I bought their 1st album just after it came out and like all their albums, maybe "Come Around Sundown" slightly less so. Not everyone was just there to hear "Sex on Fire". Nearly everyone around me knew the words to "The Bucket" which is from their 2nd album. Most people around me really got into "Happy Alone" from their 1st album.
    The anger against a fantastic rock band like KOL is totally out of proportion considering the absolute muck that is played on 99% of radio everyday. Direct your anger at all the X Factor and boyband rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭lfc84

I've read the above comments with interests, and Saturday was my first time at slane.

I got the impression alot of people were there just to get drunk - there were alot of people who were drunk by about 3pm.

I thought the queuing system for the bar was dangerous. Using mobile fencing panels to hold people back is surely asking for trouble and they should really consider having more bars in order to ease the pressure on the queues and wait times. We queued for about about 40 minutes.

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT:

I thought that the sound system was quite poor and if you were further back than half way the vocals were lost and not as good as they should have been. The audio / speakers should have been repeated further back. All I could hear was bass further back.

Due to the number of drunk people lying around and barging into to me and the missus whenever we moved, we couldn't be bothered barging our way down towards the front or nearer the front.

At one point - at the end - stewards erected a fence, fencing in people who were queuing for food, only to remove it a few minutes later.

They also closed one block of toilets whilst the fireworks were on which seemed a bit of a daft thing to do.

Considering the number of drunk people around I thought that it was quite lucky that there weren't more flash points / arguments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 declanmac

was very disappointed with the whole day being honest

very poor lineup like in al fairness KOL biggest Band in the world right now and the lineup to it was pathetic

Took me nearly 2 hours to get pints at the bar i wasnt gonna be like half the crowd and get paraltetic drunk before getting in

i had my 14 year old brother at it and couldnt believe some of the things i seen at it,fellas just pissing where they wanted and at one stage sum absolute scumbag started pissin on top of me and my little brother and when i told him to cop on he said "shut ur bleedin mouth or ill deck ya" disgraceful

also seen sum fella getting tossed off near a chipper van i tink he was unconsious aswel he was lying on back trousers around is ankles and ur one going to town on his lad,didnt look like it was working either

it would take alot to make me wanna go back i dunno maybe it old age

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Thought there was going to be a riot when they closed one of the bars at 8.30 even though it was signposted 9pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 nextbestintown

Unbelievable.

It's not just an "oh you wouldn't get that in Germany, Spain etc" response but that animal behaviour would not be tolerated elsewhere.

So it seems the rules go out the window when at an outdoor gig- drunk and disorderly in fron of Gaurds? Ah sure thats grand... Pissing on other people? Ah sure thats grand... Lewd acts in the middle of the "music lovers"? Ah sure why not!!!

It's getting worse every year by the looks of it. Is it not a waste to be wasted at these gigs? Course if the scumbags are half concious for Sex on Fire its " great giiiig maan"

Anyone that wasn't pissed off after going to it has some questions to ask of their moral fibres.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Trani?

found it - Cold Desert

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Raoul

To be honest, I didn't see any fights or arguments, saw a lot of drunk people though. It really is pathetic but sure thats the Irish culture. Come on "the lads" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭kevin99

Hopefully, Meath County Council will refuse to grant a licence to hold a concert there again.
    It must be terribly intimidating for local people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

the locals are scared, petrified even..
    i'm not sure we can take this anymore Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Lads theres any awful lot of rubbish being talked in this thread (and I wouldn't exclude myself from that). Can we get a few things straight first.

If you weren't there please don't go on about how poorly it was organised. Even if you've seen it in the past, every year is different. In my opinion it could have been better but could have been a hell of a lot worse too.

Kings of Leon are unique. Like every act is unique (in some way at least :rolleyes: ) They connect to the crowd with their music. They let it do the talking. If its not your cup of tea so be it, don't hate them for it. We can't all be AC/DC or Foo Fighters.

Saying most people were there for Sex on Fire and Use Somebody is BS frankly. I'll admit I became a fan after I heard Sex on Fire 8,000 times, but I instantly recognised the quality of the first 3 albums. I love every single track from those 3 albums, like the majority of Slane.

Yes there were scumbags and people just on the beer. This is 21st century Ireland, and it was in Leinster, what did ye expect? Top hats and monocles? God help any of ye that go to Oxegen where people have been raped, seriously assaulted, robbed and a lot of people stumble around drunk of their arses 24/7.

Can we just agree to disagree? Not everybody had fun, loads had a blast. KOL arn't for everybody (though why would you go otherwise?) Slane is a logistical nightmare and I'd hate to try run it because no matter how much you improve it on the years before, you'll be criticised.

All in all there are more important things to worry about, but if you enjoy b**ching about concerts, I look foreward to hearing from you next year.;)

Care to clarify that remark?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

I could never go to Slane again because of the accepted lawlessness. Years ago you would see the odd drunk person around.

Ah yeah, the good old days where everyone was sensible....

http://www.hotpress.com/archive/6513419.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

I could never go to Slane again because of the accepted lawlessness. Years ago you would see the odd drunk person around. Now it is about one in three.

Should you not retract this comment based on this link..

http://www.hotpress.com/archive/6513419.html

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MonTheBiffy

Funkfield wrote: »
    Care to clarify that remark?

Well the fact such a big gig/chance of a piss up/act like a twat was held in Leinster is going to instantly attract scumbags. I didn't and don't mean that every Leinster-ite:confused: is a scumbag but you can't deny theres more than anywhere else. If you argue the point I won't even bother arguing with ya, I'll just have a nice little laugh to myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭autonomy

Their not a band known for crowd interaction, but some of their music is quality! LIKE A TRANI ON TENNNN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Well the fact such a big gig/chance of a piss up/act like a twat was held in Leinster is going to instantly attract scumbags. I didn't and don't mean that every Leinster-ite:confused: is a scumbag but you can't deny theres more than anywhere else. If you argue the point I won't even bother arguing with ya, I'll just have a nice little laugh to myself

Thats the stupidest comment I've read yet. What exactly are you basing that generalisation on and why does the fact that it's held in Leinster instantly attract scumbags?

The only row I saw all day was when four lads from Cork started kicking the crap out of each other in one of the pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

It's really a cultural issue ... this type of behaviour is acceptable. If it wasn't half the pubs would be out of business in the country. After two pints, most people should be refused service. You don't see that happening. But sure those fellas you saw were "just having the craic". Nothing unusual there - you should have factored their presence when you bought the ticket! :eek:

Unfortunately, this is how we Irish behave at public events. Worse again we expect a duty of care which would almost stipulate assigning a steward to each individual person. We're a disgrace.
    conno16 wrote:
    Hopefully, Meath County Council will refuse to grant a licence to hold a concert there again.
    It must be terribly intimidating for local people.

After 30 years they seem to be happy enough with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

Unbelievable.

It's not just an "oh you wouldn't get that in Germany, Spain etc" response but that animal behaviour would not be tolerated elsewhere.

It's getting worse every year by the looks of it. Is it not a waste to be wasted at these gigs? Course if the scumbags are half concious for Sex on Fire its " great giiiig maan"

Anyone that wasn't pissed off after going to it has some questions to ask of their moral fibres.... :)

Oh look at you on your mighty high horse, "anyone that wasn't piss off after going to it has some questions to ask of their moral fibres....". Sorry not all of us like your cool underated music like you, and that some of us like to drink, therefore were animals. Do me a favor and let other people enjoy themselves without having to condescend them. If you continue on like that in real life, you'll just be known as a dooche, like you are right now.

I had a good time. I enjoyed myself. I'm not mad into KOL, but still enjoyed them, and thought they put on a good show. Support acts were excellent. I didn't see a problem with drink ques, but bare in mind I didn't que at the busiest of hours.

The only reason I'd have to question my moral fibres is if I had to listen to people like you who didn't go to the concert go on and on like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

More than likely Chillis because the album release! It could be Gaga because of her new album and her playing at the BBC R1BW... It wouldn't sell 80,000 tickets though... I'd like to see Springsteen there aswell, as far as I know he's releasing 2 new albums this year :) But he could end up to be more of an RDS act unfortunately...

conno16 wrote: »
    the locals are scared, petrified even..
    i'm not sure we can take this anymore Joe

The locals were not scared. I am a local living in the community, and it was just like any other concert in the village. Sure some may find it annoying that they are stuck in the village the entire day, but no one scared. The housing estates and street houses are heavily barricaded with security watching over them like a hawk, letting only people with residents passes get through. I even found it hard to get into my own estate with a pass! :L
    It's great for the economy of the village, as the bars, take-aways and shops do a helluva business that entire weekend! So why wouldn't we welcome it? The concert is a part of the heart of the village, and that spirit of the concert runs every night in the bars with bands playing and the "Slane Castle Whiskey Battle Of The Bands" in boyles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I recall the good residents of Rathoath being up in arms when Witnness started. In time, they then found that it was actually the safest weekend of the year in Ratoath so all headed of on their holliers. I think there was disappointment when it moved to Punchestown. Last year there was rumour that Oxegen might move again and the local press was very keen to highlight the value of the festival to the local economy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

More than likely Chillis because the album release! It could be Gaga because of her new album and her playing at the BBC R1BW... It wouldn't sell 80,000 tickets though... I'd like to see Springsteen there aswell, as far as I know he's releasing 2 new albums this year :) But he could end up to be more of an RDS act unfortunately...

I don't really think RHCP can sell 80,000 tickets anymore without a really strong support bill. I think Gaga could do 80,000 in Dublin, but not so sure about in Slane as a good chunk of her fan base is under 16. Would love to see the Boss headline. Foo Fighters could well be a shout too.

Advertisement