Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kings of Leon - Slane Castle - 28 May 2011 - *No tickets sales/swaps*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 JayJay10

Any news on the support acts front??

I love there old stuff so if theres only 3 or 4 tracks from there new album i might be tempted, but i honestly cant see that happening they will mostly play there famous tunes so all the kids and bandwagon jumpers can all jump and sing along, i seen them in the RDS in 07 (before they were proper famous) and it was probably one of the best gigs i've ever been to, they also played a few extra songs that night because the roof nearly caved in on them the previous night (probably due to the bass guitar on "My Party" :D) but my best memory from that night was fallen out of the place with my mate knackered, ears ringing and voice near enough gone and everyone (i mean everyone!) was singing the melody to "knocked up" truly a surreal experience, them as a previous post said i seen them in the O2 a year later and it was emotionless :(, What happened to them??? FAME!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

NickDrake wrote: »
    No way. Not a hope. Former member John Frusciante is not in any way comparable to a guitarist with KOL.

RHCP developed their sound and did not change it purely to sell albums

RHCP were not forced down out throats like KOL.

Flea a legend of a bass player. His own unique style. Bas player on KOL - not unique.

John Frusciante - A heap of solo albums and work with Omar Rodriguez and Mars Volta. - Not something a KOL member would be able to do.

RHCP had been around for years before they began to become successful. They did not sit down with a record company and decide how they can create a sound purely to make money lie KOL/

KOL are totally different.

I could go on and on and on.

not in the musical sense, in the sense that they headline everything for about 5 years cos its a lovely little earner for MCD for those people that love to say 'they were there' and dont actually have any interest.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Batesy wrote: »
    It should've been U2 with KOL supporting IMO. With U2 playing Glasto they'll have a show ready to go and all. Maybe they'll spring a surprise?

Is Glasto on next year? I'd not sure if it will be...
    not in the musical sense, in the sense that they headline everything for about 5 years cos its a lovely little earner for MCD for those people that love to say 'they were there' and dont actually have any interest.

Yep agree completely with this. Whore's must have their trinkets and all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

SB-08 wrote: »
    Bowie back on tour? Last I heard he had quietly retired after suffering a stroke a few years back that wasnt made public.:(

Bowie won't be touring anytime soon and what's with everyone talking about The Boss going back on tour? He's just finished nearly 3 years worth of constant touring! That and the fact that Big Man Clemons is recouperating after more surgery if I'm not mistaken. The only Springsteen gigs likely in the next year are solo and that ain't exactly Slane style.

As for KOL headlining, I've been dying to go back to Slane since RHCP and I've never seen KOL live, suits me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

lordgoat wrote: »
    Is Glasto on next year? I'd not sure if it will be...

Not only is Glasto on it's already sold out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

:eek: ok i feel enough is enough, slane concert must end now for good, its the 30th anniversary and the best he or whoever can come up with is the kings of leon, not springsteen, not ac/dc, not U2, but the kings of freaking leon. surely its only a matter of time before westlife, or take that, or boyzone get a shot there.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ncc98071

Everyone has a pick on Kings of Leon, " I saw them before they were this and before they were that"

Just enjoy the music, and if you dont like it, you dont have to listen to it, or go to see them

Maybe there new albums are not as good as the older ones, but thats life
    No pioint in spending hours moaning about it

I have seen them before and will more than likely go to slane to see them, although I prefer indoor venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 thered

Kings of Leon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

ncc98071 wrote: »
    Everyone has a pick on Kings of Leon, " I saw them before they were this and before they were that"

Just enjoy the music, and if you dont like it, you dont have to listen to it, or go to see them

Maybe there new albums are not as good as the older ones, but thats life
    No pioint in spending hours moaning about it

I have seen them before and will more than likely go to slane to see them, although I prefer indoor venues.

i saw them before they were huge, they were still sh!t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

ncc98071 wrote: »

I've always liked the music (it's good, not great) but saw this recently (KOL bit starts around half way down).

God they sound like total assholeș.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

A few friends of mine have been sayin that the Foo Fighters and Muse are playing wit them, anyone else heard anything about this??

Cant see it happening because i dont think the Foos will do any shows other than the 2 they're doing in Milton Keynes in July!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

not going to bother going to this even doh i love a good slane gig. whats the point of paying around 80 euro to go hear a band play only their new album and only by the night if i could see their set list before it i would if it had songs from the first 3 albums before they sold out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Echospace

I actually feel sorry for their fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i suppose the good thing to come out of this now is they probably wont headline oxegen for the 1 millionth time

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

What a JOKE!

€79 a ticket, for the Kings of leon! This show will be dull, very dull! They are not a good live band, Henry has really blown it, I love Slane, probably the best venue around! and with all the talk of 30th anniversary, 60th b-day bla bla bla, I bought in to the hype, only to be let down, very low standard for a Slane headliner, I will certainly not be going!!!,

All the rumored support acts I've read on the earlier pages of this thread are insane, insane to be playing second fiddle to King of Leon, Muse and Arcade Fire and the Foo Fighters are far superior live musicians to the Kings of Leon,

I can only guess Henry was trying to line up U2 and it fell through!!!

Truly Dissapointed Henry! Truly!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,517 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Zipp101 wrote: »
    Slane has officially sold - out.

I see your KOL and raise you
    Madonna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

You would have to play me €80 to go to the hell hole that is Slane

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

KOL hardly a headline act..boo

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Kettle316 wrote: »
    A few friends of mine have been sayin that the Foo Fighters and Muse are playing wit them, anyone else heard anything about this??

Cant see it happening because i dont think the Foos will do any shows other than the 2 they're doing in Milton Keynes in July!!

It definitely won't be Muse either. They're too big in Europe to be doing support slots, especially for KOL. They've also said that they're not playing many gigs next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Lord Henry Mountcharles on the concert.

Not sure what he means by saying KOL having "huge credibility" however!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

kings of the castle

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

Def wont be going anywhere near Slane...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Lord Henry saying they are the biggest live band in the world.

No way!!!

The reponse to them headlining has been wholly positive.

No it has not.

He hasn't a clue. Turning a blind eye just like he did to the dangers of the last Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

There would have to be a beefy supporting lineup in the pipeline for this because €80 is pretty freakin' high considering this is Kings of Leon we're talking about here. I mean, I don't expect a Lady Gaga-style stage show or anything, and they're a mediocre live act from what I've seen of them.

Personally I don't care that they ended up being the headliners for Slane. To me Slane is just another venue, as is Punchestown Racecourse or Marley Park. I mean, the "Slane concert" isn't even an annual "thing" anymore. I guess I don't have the nostalgia that some other posters have about the place.
    paddy978 wrote:
    Strange having it before the Leaving Cert IMO.

It's most likely down to the band's touring schedule next summer, if they plan on playing festivals on the continent, and a concert at Slane would need to be on at the weekend.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Kettle316 wrote: »

Would hope Foo Fighers dont waste there return and play before KOL , and plus most of the audience wouldnt even no much of Foo;s stuff .

Would rather Foo's not pay in Ireland then play before KOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Would hope Foo Fighers dont waste there return and play before KOL , and plus most of the audience wouldnt even no much of Foo;s stuff .

Would rather Foo's not pay in Ireland then play before KOL.

Foo's are apparently playing oxegen though right?

Support for this bill. Arcade Fire? Thin Lizzy? Biffy Clyro?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

According to the KOL website the support acts are The Prodigy, Kasabian, Glasvegas and The Blizzards.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Daisy03 wrote: »
    According to the KOL website the support acts are The Prodigy, Kasabian, Glasvegas and The Blizzards.

Now to run far far far away from slane

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

There wasn't a hope in hell of Arcade Fire, they are well beyond the point of support act for Kings of Leon.

Kings of Leon, for their part, are terrible live, and what's more they don't seem to care. But, for whatever terrible reason, they are mystifyingly popular among some sort of weird invisible population that's living somewhere in this country, crawling out of the woodwork just for KOL gigs. Where the hell are these people the rest of the year?!?!

Still though, sad to say it looks like Slane has had it's day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

Slane is for druggies who need a place to hang out and feel part of a scene. Same with Oxygen.

Advertisement