Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kings of Leon - Slane Castle - 28 May 2011 - *No tickets sales/swaps*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Suspiria79 wrote: »
    Slane is for druggies who need a place to hang out and feel part of a scene. Same with Oxygen.

wow. thats a major sweeping statement .

Which is false by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

There wasn't a hope in hell of Arcade Fire, they are well beyond the point of support act for Kings of Leon.

Kings of Leon, for their part, are terrible live, and what's more they don't seem to care. But, for whatever terrible reason, they are mystifyingly popular among some sort of weird invisible population that's living somewhere in this country, crawling out of the woodwork just for KOL gigs. Where the hell are these people the rest of the year?!?!

Still though, sad to say it looks like Slane has had it's day.

In their bedrooms getting the full live KoL experience from the albums

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Suspiria79 wrote: »
    Slane is for druggies who need a place to hang out and feel part of a scene. Same with Oxygen.

Do not making statements like this again. Over 50,000 people go to both. Don't tar them all with the same brush.

This topic is now done, if anyone wants to continue it, please not in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Daisy03 wrote: »
    According to the KOL website the support acts are The Prodigy, Kasabian, Glasvegas and The Blizzards.

Ah no, I'm pretty sure that was the line up for the Oasis gig in 2009!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Ah no, I'm pretty sure that was the line up for the Oasis gig in 2009!

Thanks. Just realised it not long after I posted it. Not with it at all today. KOL's website had them grouped together and I misread it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Daisy03 wrote: »
    Thanks. Just realised it not long after I posted it. Not with it at all today. KOL's website had them grouped together and I misread it.

As a lifelong Prodigy fan I would hate to see them stoop so low as to supporting pop stars!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Kings of Leon are the Father Stone of the live music world.

Boring bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Best thing about the Kings of leon is them pigeons

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Youth and Young Manhood is great, it all went downhill from there imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

This been a big out door gig, I hope The Pigeon Detectives are on the support bill!!! ho ho ho,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 XmaryhingeX

wat is it wit da negativity towards kings of leon n slane.....get ovr ye'r selves ppl....u'd swear ye r made listen 2 them lyk n dat ye av 2 go c them!!! KOL r doin brilliantly n da music business n they must b delitd 2 play where so many other big names av playd n da past!! ya so enuf wit da jealously n bad comments 4 f sake....n as 4 da 1 talkn bot druggies u seriously need ur head checkd!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

KOL were very good in the RDS in 2007, saw them again at oxegen in 2008 and there was definately a difference, no crowd interaction, didnt give a ****e.

Then came THAT song and that was it.....music for the middle aged 98fm listener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mattallica

wat is it wit da negativity towards kings of leon n slane.....get ovr ye'r selves ppl....u'd swear ye r made listen 2 them lyk n dat ye av 2 go c them!!! KOL r doin brilliantly n da music business n they must b delitd 2 play where so many other big names av playd n da past!! ya so enuf wit da jealously n bad comments 4 f sake....n as 4 da 1 talkn bot druggies u seriously need ur head checkd!

Ah, the new breed of KOL fan that started loving the music after sex on fire came out, and would have called a song like trani ****e back when it came out!

Fact is, their music has changed to garner more attention, and they've lost the spark they used to have! Used to love them, never got a chance to see them before, but won't be arsed going to slane to see them! With all the scum who are there to listen to two or three songs

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

df1985 wrote: »
    KOL were very good in the RDS in 2007, saw them again at oxegen in 2008 and there was definately a difference, no crowd interaction, didnt give a ****e.

Then came THAT song and that was it.....music for the middle aged 98fm listener.

Yea i seen them at Oxegen 2007 and since i only knew the hits at that time it really got me into them (i had heard a few of the songs like Mollys Chamber , 4 kicks etc over the years before that) and then when they were announced for Oxegen 08 i was delighted and i must say they were brilliant i felt they really looked like they were enjoying themsevles. Now fast forward to Oxegen 09 and SOF had been released and was kinda dragged to see them and it put the nail in the coffin. They came on this time didnt give a fook about the crowd and typical SOF got the biggest cheer and all the "REAL KOL FANS" went crazy i just looked on and could not wait till they were over and wished i had went to see Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds instead or just went home.

Yea i love when you hear people at a KOL gig and they play a old song they all think its a new one ha

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

NickDrake wrote: »
    Have they?? Have they really? I would hardy call Bruce pop rock now. Would not see a load of teeny boppers screaming for him like they do Kings of Leon.

Foo Fighters
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Thin Lizzy
    The Stones
    Dylan
    Bowie
    Pearl Jam
    Neil young
    Verve
    REM

Would hardly class the above as poppy teeny loving bands like the Kings o Leon.

Like look at the legends who have played? And now we have the Kings of Leon and Muse. For god sake. Talk about going down hill.

Oh how people can be so wrong sometimes.

Does it even come into your head why these bands are popular. Ill tell ya.. its because when you were a teeny bobber you used to listen to them on the radio and buy the cassettes, vinyl etc..

I remeber some oldies cribbing bout westlife and how elvis was way better but they obviously never say an elvis video , its a load of 15 yr old girls wetting themselves.

So stop acting like your dad and stop going to slane cause you must be too old. Music changes , people change

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

OK LET'S TRY THIS AGAIN.

From now on please try and talk about the gig. No more mentioning crowd stereotypes.

Also please avoid text speak. Use full english if you can. And also avoid petty jibes like telling people to get a life etc.

I've tidied this thread up and I want people to keep it friendly from here on, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

johnnyjb wrote: »

Does it even come into your head why these bands are popular. Ill tell ya.. its because when you were a teeny bobber you used to listen to them on the radio and buy the cassettes, vinyl etc..

I remeber some oldies cribbing bout westlife and how elvis was way better but they obviously never say an elvis video , its a load of 15 yr old girls wetting themselves.

So stop acting like your dad and stop going to slane cause you must be too old. Music changes , people change

But Elvis is much better than Westlife.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

May 28th is very early for Slane.

I wonder what are the odds of a 2nd gig later in the year?

Its going to be a rockin gig. Simple as that ..

I hope God has forgiven MCD for their past sins and does not try and drown everyone in rain... again....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

SB-08 wrote: »
    Bowie back on tour? Last I heard he had quietly retired after suffering a stroke a few years back that wasnt made public.:(

Theres been rumors abound that he is going back on tour in the next year :D was meant to see him in 04 when he had the stroke. Got replaced with the Darkness :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

i'm so annoyed:mad: i'm a big kol fan, but i cant go cause i've the fcukin leaving cert a week l8r nd theres no way my parents will let me go. rage:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

nommm wrote: »
    But Elvis is much better than Westlife.:confused:

Says who?. I dont wanna turn this into a whos better than who but its only an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Its going to be a rockin gig. Simple as that ..

I hope God has forgiven MCD for their past sins and does not try and drown everyone in rain... again....

Or with a bit of luck Kings of leon cancel.

I didn't think they were capable of selling 70,000+ tickets. There must be serious support.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Err why is everyone saying they cant sell out Slane with KOL?

Notice how KOL have been selling out every date they play in the UK and Ireland?

Notice how Slane always has 2 or 3 other big bands as support?

Its months and months away. If it doesn't sell out, it'l come close to it.

Yeah but in fairness the 02 has a capacity of 13,000. Slane is 80,000 or something.

There's going to massive support this time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

:( would LOVE to see KoL been wanting to see them for years, but 79euro is a little much for them. *sigh* there's always next year

Actually i'v just seen the summer dates for the UK. All stadiums aswell, massive.

For them to be playing The Stadium of light, Cricket grounds, hyde park, slane.... There will be great support bands surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

johnnyjb wrote: »

What are you talking about? Music did not change - great bands are great bands. Money did change and introduced us to rubbish like KOL and Westlife.

Great bands played Slane. KOL are NOT a great band.

Teeny boppers when I was young listened to Take That and East 17 not Nirvana and the Manics.

Now you are saying Westlife are the new Elvis? Where did Westlife change music? What the hell man

Dear god you are deluded.

Yeah but in fairness the 02 has a capacity of 13,000. Slane is 80,000 or something.

There's going to massive support this time though.

Do you really think MCD would book Slane with a band that could not sell out.

New album just out . All the singles to come out and hit the charts yet.

It will be jammers........ believe me.

Im guessing you are not a fan. And probably think they are shi te . Which is cool. I dont like Take That. But have no doubt they will pack the Croker to the gills. X2.

KOL have a massive following.

KOL had every head in oxegen rockin 2 years in the trot . . It was awesommmmmmm .

Cant fecking wait for Slane. And im not even a fan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

gsxr1 wrote: »
    KOL had every head in oxegen rockin 2 years in the trot . . It was awesommmmmmm .

Oh I doubt the accuaracy of your statement.

Advertisement