Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kings of Leon - Slane Castle - 28 May 2011 - *No tickets sales/swaps*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Mr.S wrote: »
    Who are you to say that KOL are not a great band as a matter of interest:)?

Dunno why I'm here, but surely a great band will push themselves to the limits to make great music, trying to better themselves as a band the whole time? Unfortunately KOL have done the complete opposite, settling into mediocrity and becoming, from accounts by other bands, nothing short of arseholes. Not a good trait to have!

Problem here is that all its all opinionated. What you mind find great, another person might find **** etc. If we go by record sales/concert sales (how else can you measure great music otherwise, really?) Then KOL have done all of the above.

I meant great in the way that they are deservedly the biggest names in the business or else not having the same formula for album writing every time it comes around, irrespective of liking or disliking a band.

Personal choice I guess. And if they are pricks or not, doesn't really matter, i mean your saying GNR, Oasis or any other band thats played Slane, aren't? ;)

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/10/100916a.shtml

Doesn't seem so personal when its the bands peers;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mattallica

Problem here is that all its all opinionated. What you mind find great, another person might find **** etc. If we go by record sales/concert sales (how else can you measure great music otherwise, really?) Then KOL have done all of the above.

See, that's the problem, the music isn't judged on song writing ability or even whether is even a good song.. It's based on record sales/concert sales. One of the best musicians of all time has to be Jeff Buckley. Popular because of his amazing song writing and musicianship! Not by his record sales!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Mattallica wrote: »
    See, that's the problem, the music isn't judged on song writing ability or even whether is even a good song.. It's based on record sales/concert sales. One of the best musicians of all time has to be Jeff Buckley. Popular because of his amazing song writing and musicianship! Not by his record sales!

If he's one of the best musicians of all time then why don't his record sales reflect that?

If he's one of the best musicians of all time then why don't his record sales reflect that?

Lots of people like songs that are much more accesible(sp?). Great song-writers who challenge themselves a lá Buckley isn't in the accesible bracket, therefore affecting record sales. In contrast to this, you have bands, lets say KOL for this thread, who have very accesible music, so of course they will have larger record sales. I think its a lot more rare to find good songwriting AND accesible music.

P.S Cant believe I had to write a word so much I'm not sure how to spell/is even a proper word:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

NickDrake wrote: »
    What are you talking about? Music did not change - great bands are great bands. Money did change and introduced us to rubbish like KOL and Westlife.

Great bands played Slane. KOL are NOT a great band.

Teeny boppers when I was young listened to Take That and East 17 not Nirvana and the Manics.

Now you are saying Westlife are the new Elvis? Where did Westlife change music? What the hell man

Dear god you are deluded.

Serious attitude problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mattallica

The reason his record sales don't reflect that is because he had one studio album, that has went platinum in numerous countries, 6X platinum in Australia and Also platinum in America. He died in 1997 before he could complete any more studio work. His live Albums have sold millions as well!

But take, for example a band such as Nirvana, not talented really, just a band that caught on and became popular and sold millions of albums... Their music wasn't brilliant but they were popular because they became trendy... Like kings of Leon recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

KOL for Slane is one of the best things to happen to this forum in years.

Aren't opinions great.

Keep the debate up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Nirvana weren't virtuoso musicians or anything, but I don't think you could call them talentless. Their music either defined or articulated something in a way that hit a nerve, and that's what musicians are for.
    This thread is going waaaaaaaaaaay off topic anyway, so lets cut out the discussion of how good/bad KOL are and if they deserve to play Slane. They are booked & thats that. If you want to continue talking about all that, take it to PM's :)

I reckon it might be a kind of threadworthy topic in itself, I mean evidently it's divisive and IMHO Kings of Leon are the perfect lightning rod for a couple of ideas related to live music and big bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Mattallica wrote:

A "good song" is entirely subjective. It's fair to say the general populace like accessible pop/rock music with a 4/4 beat and anthem-y/catchy choruses and Kings of Leon hit that mark with Sex on Fire. The song itself is not my cup of tea at all, but people use different standards which constitute a "good song".

I think song popularity has more to do with the accessibility of the music, which generally gives more radio play and exposure for the band, which naturally results in high record sales. This isn't a good or bad thing, it's just a result of what the general populace enjoys listening to the most.
    Mattallica wrote:
    The reason his record sales don't reflect that is because he had one studio album, that has went platinum in numerous countries, 6X platinum in Australia and Also platinum in America. He died in 1997 before he could complete any more studio work. His live Albums have sold millions as well!

Does that not contradict your last post? Jeff Buckley is a poor example because he has sold millions of albums.

And you could argue that a lot of these record sales are down to the extensive radio play of one song, Hallelujah, and not entirely because of his "amazing song writing and musicianship".
    Mattallica wrote:
    But take, for example a band such as Nirvana, not talented really, just a band that caught on and became popular and sold millions of albums... Their music wasn't brilliant but they were popular because they became trendy... Like kings of Leon recently!

Again, how is "talent" defined? Besides having high record sales, their album Nevermind has garnered wide critical acclaim and was added to the American National Recording Registry five years ago. Is there really no talent involved in that?

Furthermore I wouldn't go as far as saying Kings of Leon are untalented, they're just a band that I and others don't listen to but appeal to a wide amount of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

absolute disgrace :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Oh I doubt the accuaracy of your statement.

Doubt all you like. I was on stage for the 2 gigs. And from there I could see all.

Right to the back, the crowd was jumping to the music.

Im not fully understanding the objections here.

Are the people who have a problem, residents of Slane?

If you dont like them, DONT GO.

simples.bmp

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So any ideas how u get the presale code for thursday???
    Mate is looking for it and dont think its from the fanclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

gsxr1 wrote: »

Im not fully understanding the objections here.

Are the people who have a problem, residents of Slane?

If you dont like them, DONT GO.

For many of us, the very idea of Slane has a lot of sentimentality and fond memories attached to it. There were some epic shows there, by some huge and important bands, often at times in Ireland's recent past where large scale live music events weren't all that common, so we have some emotional investment in both it's past and it's future. Maybe it was the beer or the teen hormones, but I used to feel like this was a special event. Even when I wasn't particularly into the bands playing, I understood why they were there and why they were deserving of their spot.

Kings of Leon just aren't a special band. They play here every other weekend, any innovation or energy they had is long spent, and they don't define anything about their generation. There is nothing remarkable or distinct about the music they make, the way they play it on stage is insulting, and the unbelievably shallow and cynical way they market themselves would be embarrassing if they'd ever given the slightest fig about the music in the first place.

Beyond that, time and time again, they've made it clear that their attitude to both music and live performance pours scorn on their own ticketbuyers and all the other artists they share their business with. So for them to be headlining the 30th anniversary of this once-iconic event, and after a few years of very widely publicised problems, looks to me very much like a nail in the coffin.

So sure, on the one hand you can say don't go - and I won't - but on the other hand, you can't expect us not to be a little saddened to see something that used to be so dearly regarded brought to this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

hey guys,

from reading some are disappointed but for me i am highly excited. i've loved them for years and really cant wait!

just wondering does anyone know about the presale tickets? says on ticketmaster they are going on sale thursday at 09:30am....wouldnt mind getting them if i can...

also do you reckon its gonna sell out really quick? i was on ticketmaster last week getting Take That tickets for my neice and it was carnage! didnt get them at all and ended up waking a friend to run into a random shop up the country and just about got 2 for the sunday night so just wondering will this be the same...

thanks
    CK

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

hey guys,

from reading some are disappointed but for me i am highly excited. i've loved them for years and really cant wait!

just wondering does anyone know about the presale tickets? says on ticketmaster they are going on sale thursday at 09:30am....wouldnt mind getting them if i can...

also do you reckon its gonna sell out really quick? i was on ticketmaster last week getting Take That tickets for my neice and it was carnage! didnt get them at all and ended up waking a friend to run into a random shop up the country and just about got 2 for the sunday night so just wondering will this be the same...

thanks
    CK
    I seriously doubt it will.80,000 is a massive order for any band

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

I seriously doubt it will.80,000 is a massive order for any band

yeah i was thinking that too but then see that Take That sold out Croker twice in such a short space of time...maybe its with all the teens going for that....im just trying to decide on the going queuing or will i be safe enough on ticketmaster...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

how do I get early bird tickets from Ticketmaster?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

its gonna be epic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

NickDrake wrote: »
    People will not be going on about KOL in 20 years time.

They were totally different. Lizzy were not a marketed pop brand.

oooooo you can see the future...any chance of the lotto numbers?;)

As for Lizzy not being a marketed brand, that may possibly be due to the fact that music marketing was at a wholly different level back in those days. Who's to say that Philo wouldn't work the circuit for whats its worth if he was around these day...just a thought : /

KOL's first 3 albums are firm favourites of mine and my only regret is I didnt get into them until just before OBTN came out. I'm really not digging the last two albums at all, but I like a couple of the tracks.
    In saying that though, Slane is my favourite outdoor venue and I plan on taking my wee woman to the gig (it'll be her first) and just chilling on the hill.

Plus with it being May we should hopefully be in for some sunny weather:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

ttoppcat wrote: »
    oooooo you can see the future...any chance of the lotto numbers?;)

As for Lizzy not being a marketed brand, that may possibly be due to the fact that music marketing was at a wholly different level back in those days. Who's to say that Philo wouldn't work the circuit for whats its worth if he was around these day...just a thought : /

KOL's first 3 albums are firm favourites of mine and my only regret is I didnt get into them until just before OBTN came out. I'm really not digging the last two albums at all, but I like a couple of the tracks.
    In saying that though, Slane is my favourite outdoor venue and I plan on taking my wee woman to the gig (it'll be her first) and just chilling on the hill.

Plus with it being May we should hopefully be in for some sunny weather:cool:

Nothing to do with seeing the future. I am predicting their downfall by using basic common sense. They are WAY too bland and unoriginal to be a name people will know in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Pacly

I don't know why some people are so dissapointed, I think Kings of Leon are a great band. I love their music, new and old. I don't care if they changed their stlyle slightly over the years to make it more appealing for everone.
    Like others said, if you dont like them, dont go.
    Music changes with time, maybe thats why the people who went to slane a few years ago aren't happy. Probably in a few years, we'll be complaining about the 'new' music ;)
    I dont get how you can say they are unnoriginal though. What other bands sound like them??

I can't wait!!! And i know there are many others like me. Will definately sell out imo. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

any rumours on support acts yet???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Generation Terrorist

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    any rumours on support acts yet???

I've heard Muse, Foo Fighters and The Script, but the former two are far too big to be mere support acts, while the latter would probably be pelted with bottles of p*ss. And justifiably so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 PaulPatrick

I've heard Muse, Foo Fighters and The Script, but the former two are far too big to be mere support acts, while the latter would probably be pelted with bottles of p*ss. And justifiably so

will these be announced before the tickets go on sale??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Could def see the Script supporting them since they have a similar following. Maybe also ad Snow Patrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Doubt all you like. I was on stage for the 2 gigs. And from there I could see all.

You could see every single part of the festival grounds from the stage? My, what wonderful eyesight you must have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Vampire Weekend perhaps....maybe The Wombats as an early in the day one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Its a maybe as to whether I go to this, liked KOL from the start but if the script are supporting theres no way in hell im going. stay in croke park with westlife and the likes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

they are on jools holland tonight

Advertisement