Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer & ????

• 29-10-2010 12:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

Since im getting more into quality over quantity these days what can you nibble on when drinking something like paulaner or chimay or something like that?

How about some cheese or something?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Cheese and beer is great. Get some cheese. Eat it with beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Pork ribs.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Chips go with everything, hmmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

If I'm planning on having nibbles with beers, I'd usually do some chicken wings of homemade spicy wedges.

Chips are an easy one too, but I'm guessing you want something a little more sophisticated. Try "French Fries"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Aldi do this smoked cheese with ham pieces in it. Great with a good quality beer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

+1 for cheese.

Heard something on the radio a few weeks ago about someone doing beer and cheese taste combination gourmet thing type promos in some pub. Sounded interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

If I'm planning on having nibbles with beers, I'd usually do some chicken wings of homemade spicy wedges.

Chips are an easy one too, but I'm guessing you want something a little more sophisticated. Try "French Fries"

Sophisticated? moi???:D:D

Hell no, ive been drinking piss poor beer for years. Usually beer & peanuts. Its boring, very boring. Now that ive stepped my beer quality up a further level im just wondering if theres anything beyond crisps & nuts as a snack.

Eating cheese with beer sounds a little bit pretentious but from what im reading cheese actually goes better with beer than it does with wine. Think i'l get a nice block of mature cheddar & see how it goes. Its not so much for the enjoyment of cheese its to heighten my enjoyment of the beer.

I'd recommend getting small pieces of lots of different types of cheese -- runny ones, blue one, smoked ones, mature ones -- and mixing and matching with different types of beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

tricky D wrote: »
    +1 for cheese.

Heard something on the radio a few weeks ago about someone doing beer and cheese taste combination gourmet thing type promos in some pub. Sounded interesting.

As part of the Waterford Harvest Festival we (Dungarvan Brewing Co.), along with the Porterhouse did a Beer and Cheese tasting session with Sheridan's cheesemongers. It was a greast way to spend an afternoon - tasting different beers with different cheeses. As The Beernut said, get small samples of different cheeses, and try mixing and matching to see what works.

Also, don't forget cured meats like parma ham, chorizo, salami etc.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Fillet steak marinated in butter, pepper and red wine; potatoes gratin ; fresh garden salad and some bruschetta go well with a nice 750ml bottle of Leffe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Gin.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

pringles,nyom.

pringles,nyom.

Indeed. Not as posh as fancy cheese but sour cream and onion pringles go well with most beers except stouts :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

superquinn have a nice smoked apple wood cheddar, goes very well with most beers

There's an M&S onion cheddar "Cornish Cruncher" that works great with beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,081 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Indeed. Not as posh as fancy cheese but sour cream and onion pringles go well with most beers except stouts :o

Pringle's are the devils food (when he's in the mood for something particularly artificial and nasty and over-flavoured) and should not even be in the same building as good beer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Salt and vinegar ftw :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

God damn! beer n cheese? Its feckin delicious.:eek:

Got myself a chunk of extra mature McClelland cheese in tescos. They had tescos finest assortment pack but at 10.99 its taking the piss a little. Anyway the extra mature seemed to go well with anything. Especially the bottle of Old Speckled Hen...yum. Its a bit of a stinker but its a heavy flavoursome cheese & i will get it again. Initially i was thinking this cheese n beer thing was a load of bollox but it really does work.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Bleu d'Auvergne with a nice stout mmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Some chocolate and a nice roasty stout pair very well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Chili nuts or, even better, roast wasabi peas are brilliant with beer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Pringle's are the devils food (when he's in the mood for something particularly artificial and nasty and over-flavoured) and should not even be in the same building as good beer.

A guy used to come into the Porterhouse regularly and order something like a Duvel or Maredsous and have a small tube of Pringles with every one. Yeuch!

Haven't seen him in ages, must have OD'd on the Pringles.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

God damn! beer n cheese? Its feckin delicious.:eek:

Got myself a chunk of extra mature McClelland cheese in tescos. They had tescos finest assortment pack but at 10.99 its taking the piss a little. Anyway the extra mature seemed to go well with anything. Especially the bottle of Old Speckled Hen...yum. Its a bit of a stinker but its a heavy flavoursome cheese & i will get it again. Initially i was thinking this cheese n beer thing was a load of bollox but it really does work.:)

Depends. Sharp cheese and good beer is a great combination. Equally, a soft cheese and a nice strong whiskey does the job.

Suffice it to say that beer is good. Also, cheese is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Olives, cheese, cured meats or pretzels.

Advertisement