Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cataclysm online pre-order

Options
  • 29-10-2010 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Dont know if there is a thread about this.

Few guys from the guild have pre-ordered Cata from Blizz.

€35 and there downloads have started so they can be ready to roll on launch.

Extra interesting news? The servers go live from 11pm, so its an extra hour playtime.

Sounds very interesting.

I have a deposit down in gamestop but since they will probably charge about €50 ( so ive been told) the blizz option sounds a winner.

Even the fact that I'll be ready to rock from 11pm no installing sounds a winner to me.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

ill probably do this. Im a little annoyed that we wont get to play from 10 pm this time though :) (russia midnight is +2 and thats what time servers launched at for wrath)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,464 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

EU seems to be doing it right. An hour early is awesome. US it's 12:01 PST, even though East Coast players will go to midnight launches at 9:00 PST. I assume because of some deal they have with retailers, or, the EU branch of Blizz has its thinking cap on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Ooh really?

The option to preorder, and have it download over the next few weeks, and play at launch date is a great idea if it works correctly!!

Will deffo look into this :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm not too worried about trying to login on that first hour. While i definitely look forward to playing, i can see the servers being a cluster**** for at least a few hours after launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm not too worried about trying to login on that first hour. While i definitely look forward to playing, i can see the servers being a cluster**** for at least a few hours after launch.

More like days tbh ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 turiel

Yep, definitely not paying Gamestops extortionate €50 now!

If they had set the price at the RRP I would have already preordered there by now and be committed, but no.. they had to be greedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 turiel

Kiith wrote: »

While this differs between servers and battlegroups, my experience of WotLK on launch night was perfectly fine - not even overcrowded areas, and I'm on a high pop server. The split starting zone idea worked well.

turiel wrote: »
    While this differs between servers and battlegroups, my experience of WotLK on launch night was perfectly fine - not even overcrowded areas, and I'm on a high pop server. The split starting zone idea worked well.

Yeah, i was actually gonna post that. I started at about 12:20 am irish time and had no real problems. Think it was a mix between not a lot of people having it the first night (defintely got busier over the next few days) and split starting zones. My server was so High pop that queues were about 5000 in the first week.

Might be different this year tho, this digital download will make it a lot easier for people to get the game at 12 so the zones will be a lot busier.

Yet another whiney-nerdrage spiel about this. Someone has had the convulsions to claim its abhorrent that (in the US) the Digital presale costs the same thing as the retail box. Shock and horror await us all.

As it turns out though, the Digital download apparently does not include the game cinematics. Which is fine if we're talking about the opening cinematics, but not as cool when you talk about Quest-triggered cutscenes, like the Wrathgate, and the Fall of the Lich King which have been confirmed missing. Still no word however on whether the Cataclysm cutscenes are there or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

It's probably only a partial download. I got it myself and have it already preloaded, it was if I remember rightly (it went fast) around 715Mb in size.
    Hardly that huge of an upgrade file to apply for a full expansion.
    Reckon there'll be more of it released to be applied as it nears the release date, including any cinematic's. If it were all released now, it would be blown across private servers very quickly and any cinematics they want to include but not release publicly yet, would be blown all around youtube or whatever.

Then again, I could be wrong and the 715Mb odd was all that's required :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Nehaxak wrote: »
    it was if I remember rightly (it went fast) around 715Mb in size.

Got it today meself, And that file size is correct. Remember doh, Over the last month you downloaded 5gigs worth of crap? Im assuming thats in co-ordination with it also. Couldnt be certain, there may be more to come. Either way, Its awesome knowing it`ll be ready on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Just for people that dont want to pre order cata but have it up to date when they do buy their editions in the shop(ie i want to get collectors edition and i like to have a hard copy of games). You can still pre-load the data in the background/when not on the machine.
    There's an easy way to preload all the data you'll need to play Cataclysm the moment it goes live on midnight Dec. 7. Just follow these easy steps:
    1. Make sure World of Warcraft and/or the launcher and background downloader are completely closed.
    2. Open up your World of Warcraft folder.
    3. Open Launcher.wtf in Notepad and change the "accountType" line from LK to CT.
    4. Open Config.wtf in Notepad and change the "accountType" line from LK to CT.

This was taken from the wow insider site.

edit: The downlaod is currently at 700MB. Now dont forget that patch 4.0.3 is also being released and 4.0.3a and these are when the actual world is being shattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

And we already downloaded over 7gb so yeah, I think its everything come launch night :)

Just purchased mine there and download is starting,

It is a happy day , Gamestop, the shower of *****, arnt getting my money for their ****ing daylight thievery

Downloaded in minutes, all done, happy days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

This is so sick from Blizzard. I'm aiming for Realm First 85 and due to being in a world top Guild I need to get the game and get levelling ASAP. Doubt there was going to be a midnight opening for this, even though I'm just outside the city, so this is great news.

I did this for Starcraft 2 aswell and I'd like to point out that the downloaded versions were actually online on live Servers before the retail versions so this is a REALLY great move by Blizzard. Will be downloading myself soon :)

So yeah, i ordered this over the weekend, but there doesnt seem to be any change in what the cata launcher is downloading?

Its still preloading all the same stuff as when i first downloaded and installed 4.0. By the time i pre-ordered cata, the progress was up into the green (was edge of red/orange after i had installed 4.0 - which was fully prechached before that). Is that normal or am i missing something else to download?

As far as I'm aware it's normal.

Dustaz wrote: »
    So yeah, i ordered this over the weekend, but there doesnt seem to be any change in what the cata launcher is downloading?

Its still preloading all the same stuff as when i first downloaded and installed 4.0. By the time i pre-ordered cata, the progress was up into the green (was edge of red/orange after i had installed 4.0 - which was fully prechached before that). Is that normal or am i missing something else to download?

Mine didnt look to be downloading anything, but then shortly afterwards ( it dl'd fast) said I was preloaded up to date

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Overheal wrote: »
    As it turns out though, the Digital download apparently does not include the game cinematics. Which is fine if we're talking about the opening cinematics, but not as cool when you talk about Quest-triggered cutscenes, like the Wrathgate, and the Fall of the Lich King which have been confirmed missing. Still no word however on whether the Cataclysm cutscenes are there or not.
    Link proving this?

I find it hard to believe that they'd offer the game without cutscenes or cinematics...

All the other expansions are available through download and contain all cinematics...

Einstein wrote: »
    Link proving this?

I find it hard to believe that they'd offer the game without cutscenes or cinematics...

All the other expansions are available through download and contain all cinematics...
    Seems to have been some provoked hysteria by trolls, this from earlier today:
    We’d like to take a moment to clarify how we’ll be delivering World of Warcraft: Cataclysm cinematics to players who purchase the expansion digitally through Battle.net or download the installer from the web in the future.

Prior to the December 7 launch of Cataclysm, all current World of Warcraft players will receive the Cataclysm intro cinematic as part of an upcoming patch. In addition, all other in-game cinematics (including previous ones such as the Wrathgate movie) will be available for download to players who have not previously installed them. These cinematics will be automatically downloaded in the background while you play the game, after other critical game data has been received.
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=27497533856&sid=1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Onslaught

Only 35 euro you say? Might have to get in on this... Doubt Il be playing the very 1st hour.... who am I kidding >.>

I can probably say that during the day I'll pick up a large quantity of microwave meals and monster energy drink and will have a close to 15-20 hour session.

Literally running myself into the ground in the process

€35 is an absolute bargain for what you're getting.

ie; the opportunity to log into the game and get to 85 before some people travel to the store and commute back home.

<3

Now.. can't really look this up as Im in college and everything is blocked but.. Whats the deal with the guild leveling system? Is it worth the wait or just get out there on you're own and hammer down the quests as fast as you can come hour of release? Knowing some members in my guild they will be on first thing .. release is mid week :/ wish it was weekend

Our guild will be having some 5 man teams running dungeons launch night aswell as questing together.

I think its going to be a heavy mix of both through the levelling process.

Damn :/ better get prepared so :P hope the gear looks decent.. bring back T1 I say ;)

This is so sick from Blizzard. I'm aiming for Realm First 85 and due to being in a world top Guild I need to get the game and get levelling ASAP. Doubt there was going to be a midnight opening for this, even though I'm just outside the city, so this is great news.

I did this for Starcraft 2 aswell and I'd like to point out that the downloaded versions were actually online on live Servers before the retail versions so this is a REALLY great move by Blizzard. Will be downloading myself soon :)

Realm first 85? wish you the best of luck mate .. what class you play? as much as I would try doubt I could pull that off .. was fairly fast to 80.. alot of competition between friends claiming the we're the better leveler .. Bu nowhere near first :P

Shaman, with BiS gear now so I won't have to change pieces too often through quests.

My girlfriend will also be spamming the Lightning Bolt button when I'm asleep so it shouldn't be too difficult. Also, with it being released in early December I should be able to take a couple of days off College and not have to worry about any exams so close to the Christmas period.
    Now.. can't really look this up as Im in college and everything is blocked but.. Whats the deal with the guild leveling system? Is it worth the wait or just get out there on you're own and hammer down the quests as fast as you can come hour of release? Knowing some members in my guild they will be on first thing .. release is mid week :/ wish it was weekend

The Guild leveling system only offers perk and has a weekly cap anyway. You really shouldn't be focusing on it on release as it is something bigger and stronger Guilds are going to level up naturally faster anyway. You gain experience from pretty much anything - running quests, leveling professions, running instances, running Raids, getting Honorable Kills, etc. My best advice is, get to 85 ASAP. Begin grinding dungeons and work from there. I was having a look at my Old Realm Forums (Ahn'Qiraj - check out the "newbie looking for advice" post if you like) and it's a pretty backwards Realm and there was a really great post in the Thread basically saying what I just said. If you want to keep on top of everything, and save yourself a lot of trouble later, get to 85 ASAP. Once you're there you can chill a bit, level professions, buy crafted items and run Instances. But think of it now - how often do you run ToC? Now, how are you, realistically, going to get into ICC if you don't have ToGC equivalent gear? Outside of Crafting and T10, it's going to be very difficult and you'll find yourself falling behind exceptionally quick if you focus on anything other than your main character on the release -- for the first couple of days anyway. I'd also like to note - any character above level 10 can contribute to Guild Levelling so if you're in a super social Guild even Alts will be capable of adding to the accumulated "experience".

Can I borrow you're GF for when I sleep? or does she have any mates up to the job? :P Deadly serious ^^

• Advertisement

Onslaught wrote: »
    Can I borrow you're GF for when I sleep? or does she have any mates up to the job? :P Deadly serious ^^

Can I borrow her when your both asleep and I'll treat her like a real boyfriend should ?

:P

Advertisement