Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&C please

• 29-10-2010 2:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,726 ✭✭✭✭

5124273705_eccb32f2ee_z.jpg
    The Mutt Loves To Pose by mynameistyrrell

5124881406_fa29bb0357_z.jpg
    Gotta Love German Shepards.... by mynameistyrrell

5124271489_0d3e9486f9_z.jpg
    Just testing out my zoom lense by mynameistyrrell

I was just wondering if any of you guys could give me some opinions on my photo's, i'm still only a complete beginner really, only have my dslr a couple of months and i'm still experimenting, but i'm not sure on how other people who know a good bit about photography like yourselves think :) all comments and feedback appreciated, especially any advice or faults on the pictures, you can only learn from your mistakes aye? :pac:

Thanks,
    Stephen

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Welcome Stephen.

I think a lot of us started off taking shots like these when we were beginners. Well done for putting them up for C&C.

My take on these three images.

#1. The idea of the composition is good, having the dog off to the side of the frame & with some negative space to the right. The focus is spot on as is the depth of field, so the head of the dog is nice and sharp with the focus dropping off for the grass. What lets this shot down is that I feel it needs to have the eye contact to work. Some shots can work without that engagement, but this is not one of them.

#2. This shot does have the eye contact lacking in the first shot and the focus & DoF are also good but does not work for other reasons. The choice of a landscape format does not suit the subject and means that the ears and paws have been cropped. What has been left in is part of the bush which is a distraction from the dog. Shooting in Portrait format would have made a better composition.

#3. The young girl here has a lovely smile and has that contact with the photographer. The background is well chosen and works well. Unfortunately the shot is soft on the face and it appears that it's the heart on the zipper which is in focus. When using large apertures your focus needs to be spot on, in this case, the eyes. That heart is not only the sharpest thing in the frame it also is the brightest highlight and has the most contrast, so it draws the eye to it making it a major distraction from what I assume is the subject. The method of mono conversion is also very weak and the shot is very flat and lacks impact.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no. 3 - i'd go for a tighter, possibly square crop, and boost the contrast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

When taking photos of animals and children, always get down to their level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,726 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Thanks guys, it's nice to get some advice that I can take and use in the future :) no.3 was taken with my sigma 70-300 from my window and it's manual focus only on my d3000 so it's hardy get the focus perfect. I don't really edit my shots, most are raw and the b&w was just added in the camera menu, but I'll try cropping and boosting the contrast in no.3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Reoil wrote: »
    When taking photos of animals and children, always get down to their level.

No! Don't follow rules like that. Granted, often getting down to the same level can work, it's not always the case. Look for interesting compositions. This can be from any level.

Good on you for shooting RAW from the start. Be aware that RAW files mostly do need some processing and Mono Conversions in the camera are normally not going be the best. I had the need to use in camera Mono a few weeks ago and the results were less than pleasing. The same shot worked on later came up quite nicely. If I can dig the two out I may post them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

CabanSail wrote: »
    No! Don't follow rules like that. Granted, often getting down to the same level can work, it's not always the case. Look for interesting compositions. This can be from any level.

I think while you are right that rules are not always best the problem is the OP has taken the 3 shots from above and that seem's to increase the magnitude of how right the rules are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Rules are useful. They help to give you a starting point and increase your chances of getting a presentable shot. Also great for beginners like myself. They are 'Rules of thumb' though, not strict regulations!

OP, Manual focus on modern SLRs is very difficult because
    - most focus rings on modern lenses are not precise enough
    - Viewfinders on modern cameras are generally small & quite dark.

As your lens has manual focus only, I suggest you try using a higher aperture number ( say f/5.6 or f/8) and a higher ISO.

Thanks for posting!

I think while you are right that rules are not always best the problem is the OP has taken the 3 shots from above and that seem's to increase the magnitude of how right the rules are.

They can be a Guide but to say that you should always do something will invariably be wrong.

Janer, how far is your tongue into your cheek? ;)

Advertisement