Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossing And Headers - FIFA 11

Options
  • 29-10-2010 3:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

What seems to be the problem with scoring a headed goal from a cross?

I've been playing online since I got the game a couple of weeks ago and seem to get a huge amount of messages from opponents if I score a couple of goals in a game from crosses.

It seems the majority don't take too kindly to it :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

Not really your fault, the defenders AI for defending a cross doesn't work properly, so scoring crosses is extremely easy. Its almost impossible to stop certain crosses as the defenders will be in the right position but will not jump or contest the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Parawind wrote: »
    Not really your fault, the defenders AI for defending a cross doesn't work properly, so scoring crosses is extremely easy. Its almost impossible to stop certain crosses as the defenders will be in the right position but will not jump or contest the ball.

Ah, I see. I was thinking it was much, much easier to score goals from crosses on this FIFA than it was on any other recent FIFA.

Will it be patched in the upcoming patch?

Paully D wrote: »
    Ah, I see. I was thinking it was much, much easier to score goals from crosses on this FIFA than it was on any other recent FIFA.

Will it be patched in the upcoming patch?

I hope they don't. It's not like every single header goes in. In the last few FIFA's crossing was a waste of time. It's a big part of football. If your good enough to get down the line, and weight it right it's a more legitimate goal then someone who passes it into the net.
    If a player makes a triggered run the defender breaks the offside line and follows him in staying goal side :rolleyes:.... and that won't be patched since it's there since last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

Heading from crosses will still be very effective if they patch it, when defending certain crosses under certain situations the defender will be ok and contest it. They just need to fix when the defender doesn't respond even though the ball is going to right to their head and it lets the attacker get a free header on goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Yapamillias

I hope they don't. It's not like every single header goes in. In the last few FIFA's crossing was a waste of time. It's a big part of football. If your good enough to get down the line, and weight it right it's a more legitimate goal then someone who passes it into the net.
    If a player makes a triggered run the defender breaks the offside line and follows him in staying goal side :rolleyes:.... and that won't be patched since it's there since last year.

I dont think that the defenders in fifa 10 would follow the run of a triggered attacker run, I seem to remember a time when I had to follow runs manually and also track the ball carrier at the same time...back when fifa 10 defending was about skillfullness.

Heading is pants...either the ball will be contested (not often) or the striker will smash the ball into the net with ease. Heading really isnt that easy...how many Van Persie goals do you see? He DOESNT get a hat trick of headers...unless its Fifa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

In Fifa 10 I always scored loads of crosses, but then again I played strikers like Crouch and Adriano(brilliant player in fifa 11!!!) In Fifa 11 I am scoring around the same amount.

I dont think that the defenders in fifa 10 would follow the run of a triggered attacker run, I seem to remember a time when I had to follow runs manually and also track the ball carrier at the same time...back when fifa 10 defending was about skillfullness.

Heading is pants...either the ball will be contested (not often) or the striker will smash the ball into the net with ease. Heading really isnt that easy...how many Van Persie goals do you see? He DOESNT get a hat trick of headers...unless its Fifa.

I can assure it did, which is what resulted in ping pong passing right into the box as when a player continues his run a CB follows him. Playing the offside trap helped a tiny bit but it still happened. It mightn't have been purely connected to the triggered runs but when an attacker would pass it back and move forward one defender would break the line and follow him in playing him onside. It's not too common though.

Less so this year then last IMO, point was just it's more of a cheap goal then a header.

Skillful defending in FIFA 10?.... what are ya on about, the defending is the same as it is now. The skill was in 09, as in 10 they added the ''player diving to intercept pass'' motion which would see 5mph balls roll by your players. So people started putting 4/5 in attack and just one passing it along the line as your players were no longer effective in blocking the following pass. There was skill needed in 09 because if you blocked the pass line you'd win the ball so you could easily keep a player out if they played predictably.

The trick to being good at this game is to second guess your opponent, you have to know what defender he's controlling and constantly aim attack elsewhere. If you know he's going to cross give up chasing and switch to a CB and cover the attackers. Then if you see a trend stop giving him the line instead of trying to cover him cutting inside. The good crosses only come when your on a break(slowing it down results in a **** cross 90% of the time)

Sometimes they don't jump but that's football why do people think you should be able to defend them every time?... it was worse last year when the headers were muck. I'm not sure if i saw Van Persie get one.... but are you trying to say it's impossible?.... If you someone is sloppy enough to keep letting you go down the wing i.e not controlling a WB and tracking the run manually and you keep getting in crosses you'd score in any league in the world.... the crossing in FIFA is the least of the problems IMO.

I can assure it did, which is what resulted in ping pong passing right into the box as when a player continues his run a CB follows him. Playing the offside trap helped a tiny bit but it still happened. It mightn't have been purely connected to the triggered runs but when an attacker would pass it back and move forward one defender would break the line and follow him in playing him onside. It's not too common though.

Less so this year then last IMO, point was just it's more of a cheap goal then a header.

Skillful defending in FIFA 10?.... what are ya on about, the defending is the same as it is now. The skill was in 09, as in 10 they added the ''player diving to intercept pass'' motion which would see 5mph balls roll by your players. So people started putting 4/5 in attack and just one passing it along the line as your players were no longer effective in blocking the following pass. There was skill needed in 09 because if you blocked the pass line you'd win the ball so you could easily keep a player out if they played predictably.

The trick to being good at this game is to second guess your opponent, you have to know what defender he's controlling and constantly aim attack elsewhere. If you know he's going to cross give up chasing and switch to a CB and cover the attackers. Then if you see a trend stop giving him the line instead of trying to cover him cutting inside. The good crosses only come when your on a break(slowing it down results in a **** cross 90% of the time)

Sometimes they don't jump but that's football why do people think you should be able to defend them every time?... it was worse last year when the headers were muck. I'm not sure if i saw Van Persie get one.... but are you trying to say it's impossible?.... If you someone is sloppy enough to keep letting you go down the wing i.e not controlling a WB and tracking the run manually and you keep getting in crosses you'd score in any league in the world.... the crossing in FIFA is the least of the problems IMO.

I dont remember having every single attacking run being followed in FIFA 10...might boot it up later and have a look but maybe Parawind or Hokem can tell me if im wrong.

Fifa 10, tracking players runs manually and positioning for defensive headers with smart jockey moves.

Fifa 11, the AI will cover all runs and high aggression will move the defenders for you without you even having to switch from your CAM. AI wins ball and go on attack again.

As for the rest of the post its common sense about defending which most people know how to do. Crossing is a big part of football but how many crosses will hit a players head PERFECTLY everytime with just a tap of the cross button. How many players can do this? Not even beckham in his prime could do this...its too easy to cross the ball, hence why there are so many headers scored. I played clubs to a reasonable standard on fifa 10 and had control of 4 hobbits at the back and I didnt concede too many headers in fairness at all and thats because of good positioning in the box with the hobbits. Id move and jostle and they would jump and would put off the attacker or win the header...non jumping defenders on fifa 11 I just dont understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

There is a serious problem with the crosses and headers in this game. I wish I saved it but in one game online it was Arsenal v Arsenal and I sent in a cross and Arshavin actually went through Sagna to score the header.

Literally he went through the player. Arshavins head was poking out through Sagnas chest who just stood there. Its like the game pre determines before you cross if its going to be a goal.

And the Fifa 10 defending required way more skill. In this you can basically let the ai do your defending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭storybud22

that gilberto fellow is mad if he thinks fifa 11 requires more skill to defend.you had to block xchips from every angle within the box. also the pace off the game was much faster and 1twos were sooo easy. defending in 10 was an art form. in 11 you follow 1 or 2players and the computer helps you. crosses are easy to score from but there is nothing you can do sometimes.over the top can sometimes be a joke as it works almost every time while the regular through ball is almost useless imo:):)

• Advertisement

storybud22 wrote: »
    that gilberto fellow is mad if he thinks fifa 11 requires more skill to defend.you had to block xchips from every angle within the box. also the pace off the game was much faster and 1twos were sooo easy. defending in 10 was an art form. in 11 you follow 1 or 2players and the computer helps you. crosses are easy to score from but there is nothing you can do sometimes.over the top can sometimes be a joke as it works almost every time while the regular through ball is almost useless imo:):)

Where did i say defending in 11 is more skillful then 10?

In fact what i said was the defending in 11 and 10 is exactly the same(bar crosses, lofted through balls are prob the same as last year but more appealing since the ground pass has been toned down... all in all it's virtually the same.

To say defending in 10 was an art form is plain stupid, it's the same as it is now.

Certain amount of skill but then luck needed for the players to intercept the ball(intercept passes that roll by them..... tackle and win the ball and not just knock it to someone else)

There's only so much you can do now. The only FIFA that had an art to defending was 09.... i went 42 games unbeaten when i got it. That's impossible now

Where did i say defending in 11 is more skillful then 10?

In fact what i said was the defending in 11 and 10 is exactly the same(bar crosses, lofted through balls are prob the same as last year but more appealing since the ground pass has been toned down... all in all it's virtually the same.

To say defending in 10 was an art form is plain stupid, it's the same as it is now.

Certain amount of skill but then luck needed for the players to intercept the ball(intercept passes that roll by them..... tackle and win the ball and not just knock it to someone else)

There's only so much you can do now. The only FIFA that had an art to defending was 09.... i went 42 games unbeaten when i got it. That's impossible now

Fifa 10 and 11 isnt the same and your getting that from lads who were extremely highly ranked in hth. The higher up you go the more difficult it becomes. It doesnt become about luck intercepting the ball, it was skill. Anyone thats played a lot of fifa 10 and 11 online can tell the difference. No point in arguing though, heading is easier to score in 11 and harder to defend...and thats the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Surely if you put the crossing on manual then it wouldn't be as easy to score from crosses?

Fifa 10 and 11 isnt the same and your getting that from lads who were extremely highly ranked in hth. The higher up you go the more difficult it becomes. It doesnt become about luck intercepting the ball, it was skill. Anyone thats played a lot of fifa 10 and 11 online can tell the difference. No point in arguing though, heading is easier to score in 11 and harder to defend...and thats the truth.

One being.... me :rolleyes:... I've been well up in the top 100 in Ireland in the past 4 FIFA's until i gave up on ranked a few weeks back.

So i think i know what i'm talking about when i say there is an element of luck involved in intercepting. Why do you think most players try to slide in front of your passes?...cause since 10 players started to just miss the ball and let it by them.

The differences are slim to none, ping pong passing has just been replaced by lofted through balls, the game still runs the same albeit at a slightly slower pace. But there are no major differences from 10.

I never disputed heading/crossing wasn't any easier. It was pathetic in 10. Headers would always hit off the top of the players head and go over at a ridicules pace.

They fixed it for the WC game and it remains for FIFA 11 and just like real football it if someone is constantly getting crosses in then they'll get one eventually. They are harder to defend against but that's because they were a non issue last year but impossible to defend againt?...nah... it's like complaining about a long shot tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭storybud22

defending in 10 was harder. ping pong passing xchipping from anywhere near the box and quick reverse balls and cut backs in fifa 10. also those mad reverse 15yard passes are gone. anyone can make it into top 100. i was number 1 on fifa 10 by more than 1000 points and im number 1 in fifa 11. i was also top 8 in world on 10 and have the highest aol in ireland.u must off been mad when you said defending was the same. it is the same by wat your players do on both differnt fifa games is much different.:)

cashel man is god

Advertisement