Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EMT/Paramedic courses in Galway

• 29-10-2010 5:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭

I'm 19 from mayo and was wondering what you would need to join the course's(like leaving cert results r subjects)? also does anybody know when they will be held? thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

currently in ireland you can only train to emt level privatly. for that you dont need anything just a wad of cash(various training facilities offer different prices) to train as a paramedic you need to apply to the hse when they advertise a recriutment campaign, have a leaving cert with passes in maths and science(emt is acceptable instead of science) and be 21 (you need to be 21 to have you c/c1 class licence to drive the ambulance)

my advice to you would be, join a local volunteer ambulance service like the order of malta or the johns ambulance or the civil defence. start from the ground up learning basic first aid moving up to emt level eventually, it will make you a good well rounded and experenced practitioner at emt/ paramedic level and have alot of fun in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

...and be 21 (you need to be 21 to have you c/c1 class licence to drive the ambulance)

incorrect. 18 for C/C1 licence. 21 for D/D1 licence of which D1 is needed by end of 12 month internship.

oh is it?? news to me i wasnt able to sit it at 19 while i had a full b, maybe they didnt like the look of me haha

anyways give the lad some advice there instead of nit picking

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭k_d

giving the right answer isnt "nit picking". relax there

it is, 18 year old with a full licence can sit c1, that is all that is needed to apply, a D1 licence is required before you finish internship year.

so keep it simple, get your c1 first and apply. the rest can be done in time

oh is it?? news to me i wasnt able to sit it at 19 while i had a full b, maybe they didnt like the look of me haha

anyways give the lad some advice there instead of nit picking

I'm not nit-picking, you provided incorrect information, I corrected it...! :confused: There is a lot of incorrect information shared on the Emergency Services forum by posters and some of us do our best to correct it...if that seems like nit-picking to you then so be it. :rolleyes:

Anyways...k_d, the rest of touge_drifts post I would agree with, join a voluntary, have some fun and learn your skills...nothing wrong with doing the private route either but it's hard to keep your skills up to date then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭emtally

now now ladies, no fighting...
    not taking sides, and no, i dont know him/her at all, but i'd pay attention to what coolmoose has to say. he/she seems to be a man/woman in the know and has correct info instead of rumours and hearsay...
    thats it...
    have fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

coolmoose wrote: »
    incorrect. 18 for C/C1 licence. 21 for D/D1 licence of which D1 is needed by end of 12 month internship.
    Right about the C1, D1 is needed by the end of the internship which is correct but you have to be 21 to obtain a D1/D licence as stated on the RSA website.

whoops i confused c licence for d licence my bad!!

C/C1 is truck/hgv

D/D1 is bus/ minibus

emtally wrote: »
    now now ladies, no fighting...
    not taking sides, and no, i dont know him at all, but i'd pay attention to what coolmoose has to say. he seems to be a man in the know and has correct info instead of rumours and hearsay...
    thats it...
    have fun...

:D thanks emtally!

medic780 wrote: »
    Right about the C1, D1 is needed by the end of the internship which is correct but you have to be 21 to obtain a D1/D licence as stated on the RSA website.

That's what I said. Technically a 19 year old (depending on month of birth) could apply for the last round of recruitment as the training and internship takes 22 months so they would be 21 by the time they come to completing their internship and so could get provisional D1 and pass test before end of internship.

Also it was technically open to 18 year olds as they may remain on a panel for a year or so before beginning their training and so they would also be 21 by the end of their internship and thus be able to get a D1 licence also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 medicfar

doing emt course what do you get for your $2500

• Advertisement

medicfar wrote: »
    doing emt course what do you get for your $2500

EMT training? :)

Have a read of the PHECC Training and Education standards for EMT, available here :click here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Paramed

Spending 2,500 is a waste of money for the EMT course . The institute i di mine with was missing lots of equipment , we never did any practice extracations ,manual lifting etc . People would be betetr saving their monmey . Of courseit can be helpful when applying to to the HSE to train as a Paramedic , but will not guarantee you success in getting onto a panel. Currently there are thousands of EMT's out there making getting a job with a private ambulance service very difficult

Extrication is generally only taught on PHTLS course, hence why you wouldn't have been taught it on an EMT course.

Look at doing your PHTLS Provider Course if you are interested in doing more practical, hands-on training.

Paramed wrote: »
    Spending 2,500 is a waste of money for the EMT course . The institute i di mine with was missing lots of equipment , we never did any practice extracations ,manual lifting etc . People would be betetr saving their monmey . Of courseit can be helpful when applying to to the HSE to train as a Paramedic , but will not guarantee you success in getting onto a panel. Currently there are thousands of EMT's out there making getting a job with a private ambulance service very difficult

id suggest you go to phecc.ie and have a word with them(the regulator of ems and training standards in ireland) and let them know your concerns. If they are missing equipment etc.. its better that phecc know for the good of future students

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

currently in ireland you can only train to emt level privatly. for that you dont need anything just a wad of cash(various training facilities offer different prices) to train as a paramedic you need to apply to the hse when they advertise a recriutment campaign, have a leaving cert with passes in maths and science(emt is acceptable instead of science) and be 21 (you need to be 21 to have you c/c1 class licence to drive the ambulance)

my advice to you would be, join a local volunteer ambulance service like the order of malta or the johns ambulance or the civil defence. start from the ground up learning basic first aid moving up to emt level eventually, it will make you a good well rounded and experenced practitioner at emt/ paramedic level and have alot of fun in the process.

Is it hard to join a sefvice like this or will they take anyone.Im 19,dont like my course but really think id like paramedics.Will i just ring up one of these services and will they offer me a way to work up to paramedic level??
    Thanks

Anthony16 wrote: »
    Is it hard to join a sefvice like this or will they take anyone.Im 19,dont like my course but really think id like paramedics.Will i just ring up one of these services and will they offer me a way to work up to paramedic level??
    Thanks
    in short, no. you cant train to paramedic in ireland unless your hired by the dfb or hse.

you can volunteer with the order of malta, civil defence and red cross or johns ambulance. you can train up to emergency medical technician which is one step below paramedic( and roughly half their skill set and education)
    only thing with voluntries is, you may or may not be in a busy unit to gain experence and you cant walk into emt level with them you'd start at the bottom and work your way up. the volunteer services only do first aid at sporting events and musical events etc... not 999 ambulance work.

what course are you on now btw??

in short, no. you cant train to paramedic in ireland unless your hired by the dfb or hse.

you can volunteer with the order of malta, civil defence and red cross or johns ambulance. you can train up to emergency medical technician which is one step below paramedic( and roughly half their skill set and education)
    only thing with voluntries is, you may or may not be in a busy unit to gain experence and you cant walk into emt level with them you'd start at the bottom and work your way up. the volunteer services only do first aid at sporting events and musical events etc... not 999 ambulance work.

what course are you on now btw??

Dentistry at the minute,though not for me.thinking of a complete change.
    Would it not be better then to just do one of the privaye EMT courses in galway,and they would get u to EMT level right away?If i did that,and passed my driving tests ci could apply for paramedic training,right??

Dentistry at the minute,though not for me.thinking of a complete change.
    Would it not be better then to just do one of the privaye EMT courses in galway,and they would get u to EMT level right away?If i did that,and passed my driving tests ci could apply for paramedic training,right??

well you could part with you hard earned money with a private company but without knowing if you like it or not it doesnt really make sense.
    if you joined your local vol. ambulance unit you could get a taste of what its like and see if it's really for you, and if its not you've got a few grand in your pocket!

im a firm believer of hitting every step on the phecc matrix, start at the basics and work up, i personally think it makes you a better emt.(cant comment on paramedics as im not that far yet)

you can apply for a position on the pannel with the hse/dfb yeah once they start recruiting again, which could be anywhere from now til 2 years+ away, nobody really knows

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Start at the bottom and work your way up to EMT, There is so much to learn before you even start your EMT.
    Join Civil Defence, OMAC, or Johns Ambulance and gain experience with the basics that way .

Tripp wrote: »
    Start at the bottom and work your way up to EMT, There is so much to learn before you even start your EMT.
    Join Civil Defence, OMAC, or Johns Ambulance and gain experience with the basics that way .

Cheers for yer help!
    And how long does it take to work your way up to Emt with those services?
    Like,how often can I volunteer?I'm very eager to learn
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Cheers for yer help!
    And how long does it take to work your way up to Emt with those services?
    Like,how often can I volunteer?I'm very eager to learn
    Thanks

I can only speak for Civil Defence but it does take alot of time for them to organise the courses.
    From personal experience in CD,
    2-3 CFR a year
    2-3 OFA a year
    1 EFR a year
    1 EMT a year

These courses are per class
    If you give your time and go to Training and go on Duties then they will do the courses with you. At the end of the day there not going to shell out to train you for EFR/EMT if they think your going to leave as soon as your done.

If you need anymore info, feel free to PM me

Advertisement