Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic insulation-3bed semi

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PC_DAVE

Hi All,
    I'm at the beginnings of insulating the rooms in my attic.A BER guy has recommended that I use 300mm of fiberglass on the "flats" and 270mm on the upright slabbing(behind the internal wall of the rooms) and sloped internal roof.
    The issue I'm having at the moment is that there already seems to be about 100mm of fiberglass between the real roof(which has non breathable felt) and the internal sloped roof of the internal rooms (just plain plasterboard slabbing).
    The gap between the internal roof and the real roof is approximately 10 inches, if I pack this with 270mm of fiber glass it will prevent air circulation, the existing 100 mm of fiberglass has condensation on the surface already.
    I spoke to the guys in the building merchants and they recommended screwing 50mm thermal board to the existing internal side of the sloped roof and then putting raftorlock between the external roof and the internal sloped roof leaving a 2inch gap between the raftorlock and the non breathable felt. Has anyone done this before, just worried about the air circulation if I go with this.They also recommended putting in venting tiles in the roof to draw the air from the facia vents but said that this raftorlock would allow the air to pass through. Can anyone shed any light on this?Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Slightly off topic but I put 50mm insulated plaster board outward walls in the bedrooms last week and it made a HUGE difference.

Been thinking of doing this myself, where did you get the materials and how much were they? Did you have much hassle fitting?

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PC_DAVE

although putting on the insulated plater board "makes a huge difference" it still doesn't have the same effect as putting 270mm of fiberglass behind it, it would seem. This ultimately affects you BER rating.I guess what I'm looking for is some sort of thermal board that equates to regular plasterboard with 270mm of fiberglass behind it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

BER? Its a complete money spinner and useless. Granted the idea of energy saving is a winner, the ber itself is a shambles.

Advertisement