Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fixie

• 29-10-2010 5:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

hi i am building my first fixie any tips were to get cheap and paint job:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

... spray paint and a good primer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Wire brush and a tin of Hammerite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 clivere

what about cheap parts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

For paint job, look in Halfords (or equivalent) for primer, paint, and lacquer.

For parts, cheap or otherwise, check your local bike shop and also check online. There are many threads on here that list online sources already, and a search on the forum will find them, but some of the more widely used sites include Cycle Superstore (Dublin), Chain Reaction Cycles (Northern Ireland), and Wiggle (England). There are many sites worth checking though as no one site is consistently cheaper.

thanks alot for help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭steinone

As far as a pretty good paint job goes, it can be quite hard, fairly costly and time consuming to do it yourself.
    There is a place I know that does powder-coating for about 60eurons for frame and fork. Powder-coating is a thick, very strong option for frame painting.
    Do you have a frame already? Its best to use a frame with horizontal dropouts to adjust chain tension, old road frames use them. Steel is good, I would avoid old french frames because of weird sizing on parts.
    You can find some nice frames at a pretty reasonable price with a bit of looking.

For parts there isnt that much stuff you need specifically for fixed gears, just a double threaded hub, cog, lockring, maybe chain and maybe another few bits.
    The best source of info is: Sheldon Brown, if you need any more help dont hesitate to Pm me. :)

thats great the more tips the better thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

stenoine where do u know where to get frames painted thats a good price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Golfanatic wrote: »
    stenoine where do u know where to get frames painted thats a good price
    pretty sure he's talking about here
    http://www.barelleltd.ie/p_home.html

• Registered Users Posts: 47 gallagc8

abcdggs wrote: »
    pretty sure he's talking about here
    http://www.barelleltd.ie/p_home.html

anyone have any experience with this place? the price certainly seems to beat a quote i got from Tallaght Powder Coating of 120 for a frame and fork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭carplates

dunboyne powder coating, on the trim road, 0876685330

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

carplates wrote: »
    dunboyne powder coating, on the trim road, 0876685330
    Any idea on price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

my thoughts: diy paint job is very messy and labour intensive. it will never be perfect, tubing is very hard to paint evenly, especially when they are all connected together! paint fumes are nasty too.

60euro sounds like a bargain. I spent close to that for 1 frame on paint stripper, sand paper, primer, paint, laquer.

spray paint is best left for industrial equipment or graffiti!

Advertisement