Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffalo Induction Cooker for Woks

Options
  • 29-10-2010 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking of getting one of these induction cookers

ECD407.jpg

Anyone used this before for wok cooking?
    The main drawback I can see is that it doesn't have programmes. The one I used before in China had all kinds of programs for cooking different things but was flat. The curved shape on this seems better but the lack of programming is a drawback, that said I suppose real propane gas cookers over there don't come with programmes either and they seem to manage just fine!

Any thoughts, comments, recommendations?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I don't know much about induction cookers, but here's my concern. An induction hob uses a conducting material or a magnetic material to switch on the induction loop and allow the heat to be produced. So the amount of surface area of the wok in contact with the induction plate could be important. So will the induction cooker work well if the wok doesn't fit snugly across the induction plate? Also, what happens when you move the wok around to toss the contents? Will that switch off the heat?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Minder wrote: »
    I don't know much about induction cookers, but here's my concern. An induction hob uses a conducting material or a magnetic material to switch on the induction loop and allow the heat to be produced. So the amount of surface area of the wok in contact with the induction plate could be important. So will the induction cooker work well if the wok doesn't fit snugly across the induction plate? Also, what happens when you move the wok around to toss the contents? Will that switch off the heat?

I've used one, they are grand, work really well, tossing stuff isn't a problem but even if lifting off the plate did cause it to switch off, it would turn back on the instant you touch it again, so no different than a flame, also, the wok shouldnt really every leave the plate, if you watch chinese chefs they use their utensils to move the food, they shake the wok but it never leaves the flame.

Fierce amount of money to spend for domestic use though, if you have a gas hob already you won't be gaining anything, if you have an electric hob, you'd nearly be better off just buying a whole new gas unit...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks guys. Seaneh you are right about Chinese chefs - my wife, who is Chinese, always uses the spoon to toss the vegetables not the wok . I guess the wok is just too big for that. Her mother cooks the same way too and the taste is just delicious :) .
    As to the expense, I am renting currently so getting one like this is a better option - we can bring it to the next place we move to.
    She'll kill me if she finds out how expensive they are, which is a concern though haha!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

If you don't need to flick the wok, why not buy a cast iron wok like this one from Amazon. I have one from the days of cooking on an electric hob. It heats up very well and retains the heat well. It's also a quarter of the price of the Buffalo cooker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Leeroy Brown

Hi Supercell!

Did you get one in the end? Are you pleased with it? Does it get hot enough?

I'm thinking of picking one up, too.

Thanks!

Leeroy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement