Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

De, dem, dese, dohs, deres, tink???

• 29-10-2010 9:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Where has the 'th' gone on National Radio?

I'm not an elocution Teacher or a pronunciation Snob I swear, but it does sound absolutely horrific to hear somebody who is paid a wage as a Broadcaster that can't speak any better than the average groups of 15 year olds loitering on our streets.

I haven't mentioned any Station is particular as I channel hop a lot but it seems to be everywhere.

Also as well as the Station Staff every second Guest that's on seems to "tink dat deres no reason why de Government as dohs responsible for our finances in dese difficult times should tackle de problem if we just leave it up to dem"

- The only odd thing I notice is that it seems to be a recent thing :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

paging flutterinbantam. Flutterinbantam to the thread please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't say I have any problem with hearing an Irish accent on Irish radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Its nothing to do with having an Irish or regional accent - Its about basic sloppy half-arséd speech.

- Its almost an equivalent of irritating txt spk but on ur radio k?

Raiser wrote: »
    Its nothing to do with having an Irish or regional accent - Its about basic sloppy half-arséd speech.

agree 100%

Let's not insult the Irish accent by equating it to sloppy speech please

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

What about Marty Morrissey's "SaHarday Sport"

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Personally I'm more put out bmy the american twang combined with a warbled dort accent most teenagers and twentysomethings seem to have these days. That blond lady on Exposé on TV3 is the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You know the open is right, you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Same place it's gone for the majority of the population, not a lot of Irish people pronounce their 'th's so why would you want some on the radio to be forced to do it if it's not part of their natural diction ?

it's to do with maintaining standards. To be honest, and obviously this is just my opinion, a station like RTE1 should be seeking to set and maintain high standards in everything - diction, grammar, production, journalism, etc.
    It's our national news station after all (sorry Dennis!)

Sloppy pronunciation - to my mind - reflect an "ah sure it doesn't matter" attitude, also known in some circles as "dumbing down". I've no problem with it on music-based or regional stations, but, again, just my opinion, ymmv, I think it's important that RTE1 set the tone.

In other words, more John Humphries, less John Murray.
    That's more about those Johns' attitude than personality btw. I want serious news programs on RTE1, I don't want music and light-hearted chat.

• Advertisement

But it's not dumbing down or sloppy grammar, it's just the way the vast majority of Irish speak, if you start forcing people to do it you'll have accents as fake as mid Atlantic yank accents. BBC for that type of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

I'm not an elocution Teacher or a pronunciation Snob I swear, but it does sound absolutely horrific to hear somebody who is paid a wage as a Broadcaster that can't speak any better than the average groups of 15 year olds loitering on our streets.

I haven't mentioned any Station is particular as I channel hop a lot but it seems to be everywhere.

Also as well as the Station Staff every second Guest that's on seems to "tink dat deres no reason why de Government as dohs responsible for our finances in dese difficult times should tackle de problem if we just leave it up to dem"

- The only odd thing I notice is that it seems to be a recent thing :confused:

welcome to reality, this is how irish people speak, we dont pronounce our th's in general.

In all fairness there's only one of our five senses at play in the Radio game - If you can't speak properly, or even more to the point, can't be bothered to make the simple and slight effort to speak properly then you don't have the basic skills, aptitude or right to be on the Radio.

- Also if you have been invited on to a Radio Show because you have some opinion, expertise or whatever you should be aware that you are not there to mime, draw or tap-dance, you are there to speak and if you can't manage the basics then what credibility do you have left?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

I wish RTÉ would stop this new trend of pronouncing 'h' as 'aitch'. CRH has now become CRAitch, HSE has become AitchSE and so forth. Even the BBC Pronunciation Unit acknowledge 'haitch' as the established Irish-English pronunciation, but some undereducated manager in RTÉ has bizarrely decided to change all RTÉ's pronunciation to follow the British pronunciation.

And where's the 'h' pronunciation gone from the word 'issue'?

Brian Jennings, Anne Doyle and Eileen Dunne need to be taken aside and educated on these two ishues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

hubba wrote: »
    Personally I'm more put out bmy the american twang combined with a warbled dort accent most teenagers and twentysomethings seem to have these days.

This is probably the main reason that I switch over/off the radio. They're on every station...why does virtually every female broadcaster under 30 speak like this?:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I was listening to Hector during the week and thought RTE must have told him to work on his TH's for the new show. If you listen to him, he sounds like he sticks his tongue way out to get the TH.

I don't like it funnily enough, as it doesn't sound natural at all for him.

I always get a giggle at Matt Cooper saying Sahurday. :)

In all fairness there's only one of our five senses at play in the Radio game - If you can't speak properly, or even more to the point, can't be bothered to make the simple and slight effort to speak properly then you don't have the basic skills, aptitude or right to be on the Radio.

- Also if you have been invited on to a Radio Show because you have some opinion, expertise or whatever you should be aware that you are not there to mime, draw or tap-dance, you are there to speak and if you can't manage the basics then what credibility do you have left?

So you don't value anyones opinion, be they on radio or not, if they don't speak like someone from an Eton movie ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Cole wrote: »
    This is probably the main reason that I switch over/off the radio. They're on every station...why does virtually every female broadcaster under 30 speak like this?:mad:

They must be hired solely on the basis of Tits and Ass - Its just a pity that this interview criteria is just not radio friendly at the end of the day :(

- Behind every Radio Presenter that can't speak there is presumably a Production Team, Editor etc. etc. that aren't picking up on it - Is it that they can't be bothered to listen to their own Staff/Shows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ThisRegard wrote: »
    But it's not dumbing down or sloppy grammar, it's just the way the vast majority of Irish speak, if you start forcing people to do it you'll have accents as fake as mid Atlantic yank accents. BBC for that type of thing.

Eh? Are you suggesting the BBC has a policy of allowing or even encouraging mid-Atlanitc accents/speech modes? Unless you are listening to Paul Gambaccini thats clearly not the case.

• Advertisement

No, I meant BBC for the 'th's and all that type of thing. I'm off now to look at the tree trees outside my window.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Possibly not, but neither is eating with your mouth open or picking your nose in public.

All unpleasant and all should be discouraged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Same place it's gone for the majority of the population, not a lot of Irish people pronounce their 'th's so why would you want some on the radio to be forced to do it if it's not part of their natural diction ?
    I see this on Boards when this issue pops up. Do the majority of Irish people really not pronounce their ths? Everyone I know does. Everyone I grew up with did. Surely its more of a regional thing. Personally it grates when I hear it.

Hrududu wrote: »
    I see this on Boards when this issue pops up. Do the majority of Irish people really not pronounce their ths? Everyone I know does. Everyone I grew up with did. Surely its more of a regional thing. Personally it grates when I hear it.

I would certainly be of the opinion that it isn't an "Irish" thing to not pronounce your th's.

- When People started to put forward that opinion I did wonder if it was perhaps more of a Dubcentric thing given that such a massive proportion of Boards.ies are Dubs, no offence intended :o

I would certainly be of the opinion that it isn't an "Irish" thing to not pronounce your th's.

- When People started to put forward that opinion I did wonder if it was perhaps more of a Dubcentric thing given that such a massive proportion of Boards.ies are Dubs, no offence intended :o

its not a dublin thing

im from dublin but hardly anyone can place my accent as i dont have a typical dub accent. i dont leave out my th's as bad as most people but the first thing americans comment on when im over there working is my lack of th's. many many irish people from all over the country passed threw my place of work and the yanks commented on every one DEM talk like dis and how we say tirty tree and a turd and how we over pronounce our U's too

the people you are listening to have typical irish accents get over and find something more important to get vexed about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I definitely would have thought that it'd be more a midlands/west thing than a Dublin thing, I know it's very common in the midlands anyways.

I don't see why you're getting so angry about it. And I find it pretty sad that you're saying people should all speak with a false accent to be taken seriously, that just seems ludicrous to me.

Bazzo wrote: »
    I definitely would have thought that it'd be more a midlands/west thing than a Dublin thing, I know it's very common in the midlands anyways.

I don't see why you're getting so angry about it. And I find it pretty sad that you're saying people should all speak with a false accent to be taken seriously, that just seems ludicrous to me.

what's a false accent tho? An accent is just the way you've learned to pronounce words. If you say "deeese" and go to elocution lessons and begin to say "these" - is that a false accent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

They must be hired solely on the basis of Tits and Ass

When I read that first I honestly thought that you meant "THIS and THAT" :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

It's not a "false accent" though.

If you come out with "dat", then you are not saying a "word" - it's a LANGUAGE issue, rather than an accent issue. If someone comes out with "I seen...." (which happens a lot on sports shows and on RTE2 TV's early evening teen shows) then they are simply not using the correct LANGUAGE and GRAMMAR; again, that's not about an "accent".

If I chose to call a "tree" a "twee", is that accent ? Jonathan Ross has a defined accent, but the minor speech impediment that he seems to have is a separate issue, resulting in the above.

And it is getting more and more prevalent.

Yes, the "so, like, whatever" wannabe yanks are irritating, as are Tony Fenton's "rhyming slangs", but likewise it takes nothing to actually pronounce words correctly and use the correct grammar.

If someone announces "Here's Mickey Bubble" or "Great try by Donnerka o Callergan" then it's annoying, so why can't the same apply to ordinary words and speech ?
    tbh wrote: »
    what's a false accent tho? An accent is just the way you've learned to pronounce words. If you say "deeese" and go to elocution lessons and begin to say "these" - is that a false accent?

Dem electrocution peeps ar des'pret altomagedder....

• Advertisement

PeakOutput wrote: »
    The people you are listening to have typical irish accents get over and find something more important to get vexed about

Don't think its a typical Irish accent at all, but I do see how you may have decided this based on your observations :p

I was very angry about it and then I put the Gun down, and straight away the red mist cleared :mad:

- Do you really think that if People want to avoid speaking with what you call a 'false accent' dey have to speak like dis? and dat dohs peeps dat dunt lyk it gr8, dey can funk ryte of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

paging flutterinbantam. Flutterinbantam to the thread please.

No , while the Flutt doesn't like the dese and dose brigade, a far worse cancer is the 'done' and 'seen' crowd.

Not pronouncing your 'ths' is an endemic Irish thing,and I am sometimes guilty too.

A far different cancer is the 'done' and 'seen' crowd who expostulate their ignorance with benign indifference across the airwaves, unaware that anyone with a modicum of grammatical expertise immediately partitions them in box labelled 'League of Ireland Manager' or perhaps 'Liveline Contributer' from Clondalkin complaining about queues in the dole office.

Sorry for being blunt about this, but nothing boils my piss more than hearing these words, driving ,as they do, a focking Hummer through the grammatical norms most educated people are converse with.

Do these people not realise that straight away they debar themselves from most educated circles, and those of us who know better, look on them as chavvish, poorly educated, and uncouth?

Boils my piss ,so it does.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

A far different cancer is the 'done' and 'seen' crowd who expostulate their ignorance with benign indifference across the airwaves, unaware that anyone with a modicum of grammatical expertise immediately partitions them in box labelled 'League of Ireland Manager' or perhaps 'Liveline Contributer' from Clondalkin complaining about queues in the dole office.

Agreed. The done and seen people, victims of Houghtonitis, are enough to make me ill. The OP was however referring only to those afflicted with dese and dose issues, or Mattcooperismus, and it is equally sickening. Were people educated to speak in such a fashion? Did their English teacher really ask the gormless sprogs to remember that the past tense of "tink" is "tort"?

Don't think its a typical Irish accent at all

you dont think it is, i do think it is maybe we are both wrong or both right and the world continues to spin, its such a non issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Agreed. The done and seen people, victims of Houghtonitis, are enough to make me ill. The OP was however referring only to those afflicted with dese and dose issues, or Mattcooperismus, and it is equally sickening. Were people educated to speak in such a fashion? Did their English teacher really ask the gormless sprogs to remember that the past tense of "tink" is "tort"?

sadly, very sadly 'Houghtonitis' goes way beyond the 'done' and 'seen' .Symptoms are far more serious.

Involves total misappropriation of every tense in the English language and managing, with silky skill, to use 'went' instead of 'gone' , 'gone' instead of 'went' and to be quite frank is a disease which leaves this poster in a heap in the lounge beating the shíte out of the poor cat who is totally blameless in all this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

While we're on the subject of RTE and pronunciation, what about the emphasis on the first syllable of Oireachtas rather than the traditional and, I would hold, correct emphasis on the second syllable? Nota bene Eileen Dunne!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Don't think its a typical Irish accent at all, but I do see how you may have decided this based on your observations :p

I was very angry about it and then I put the Gun down, and straight away the red mist cleared :mad:

- Do you really think that if People want to avoid speaking with what you call a 'false accent' dey have to speak like dis? and dat dohs peeps dat dunt lyk it gr8, dey can funk ryte of?

No, I think that people should speak in whatever natural way it comes out, without having to worry about being ridiculed for it. You should judge them on the merit of what they're saying.

To the people saying that's it's not an accent, I'd have to disagree. It's a mispronunciation that's common to a certain region, I would imagine that anything like that would be considered an accent. And no, I don't think that it's incorrect English, and shouldn't be compared to using "I seen" or any such. I'd imagine that the majority of the people speaking like this know very well how it's spelled and only mispronounce it because it comes naturally to them to do so, because of where they were raised.

Edit: Just a quick note, when I say whatever natural way comes out I'm talking about pronunciation, not the aural sodomy that is the misuse of the word "seen".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Its about basic sloppy half-arséd speech.

agree 100%
    ORLY?
    what's a false accent tho?

Put your hands up teebs, with your sloppy half arsed English. :)

Now to the point.

People speak differently. It doesn't mean they are lazy, sloppy of half arsed, it's just they way they talk.

It isn't "lazy" to pronounce "3" as three, tree or free as is heard all over British Radio. It's just an accent, and as long as you can understand what they are saying, then what's the problem.

Language isn't homogenous, and anyone who thinks it is, or subscribes to the snobbish theories of Victorian Linguists is laughable.

People speak differently all over the world, there is no such thing as "proper English".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Rebelheart wrote: »
    I wish RTÉ would stop this new trend of pronouncing 'h' as 'aitch'.

You're now criticising RTE* for pronouncing something correctly!

The letter h is pronounced 'aitch', NOT haitch. Fact, not up for opinion.

* That's RTE, pronounced Ar Tee Ee, not Or Tee Ee!

A.

Sorry, it IS lazy to pronounce three as tree; The same as its lazy to pronounce Th as f, to drop the g at the end of the word etc.

In the english language, which we speak here, the letters Th together usually are pronounced as in Thin, not tin. That's a rule.

(With exceptions - like the River Thames, pron. Tems, which people here on radio often pronounce as Thems, inexplicably if they can't pronounce th correctly every other time!)

Languages have rules for reasons, one of which is to ensure that it works as a language - i.e. people find it easy to understand! What would be the point of a language without rules - it would end up as a load of grunts and snorts! :)

There are pronunciation rules, grammar rules, punctuation rules, all for a reason. Just because someone is too lazy, or ill-educated to stick to these rules doesn't mean they shouldn't exist.

If I decided I was too lazy to put spaces between my words here, or use punctuation, you'd all find it hard to read what I've written; and the whole point of writing or speaking is to communicate to someone else.

Commas, capitals, apostrophes, colons, question marks, exclamation marks and quotations are all for a purpose, that being to impart the intended meaning to the reader.

Its the same with speech - the pronunciation, the inflections, the timbre and the tone are all for the same purpose.

Ignore them at peril of finding yourself misunderstood.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Not pronouncing your 'ths' is an endemic Irish thing,and I am sometimes guilty too.

:eek:

• Advertisement

alinton wrote: »
    Sorry, it IS lazy to pronounce three as tree; The same as its lazy to pronounce Th as f, to drop the g at the end of the word etc.

In the english language, which we speak here, the letters Th together usually are pronounced as in Thin, not tin. That's a rule.

(With exceptions - like the River Thames, pron. Tems, which people here on radio often pronounce as Thems, inexplicably if they can't pronounce th correctly every other time!)

Languages have rules for reasons, one of which is to ensure that it works as a language - i.e. people find it easy to understand! What would be the point of a language without rules - it would end up as a load of grunts and snorts! :)

There are pronunciation rules, grammar rules, punctuation rules, all for a reason. Just because someone is too lazy, or ill-educated to stick to these rules doesn't mean they shouldn't exist.

If I decided I was too lazy to put spaces between my words here, or use punctuation, you'd all find it hard to read what I've written; and the whole point of writing or speaking is to communicate to someone else.

Commas, capitals, apostrophes, colons, question marks, exclamation marks and quotations are all for a purpose, that being to impart the intended meaning to the reader.

Its the same with speech - the pronunciation, the inflections, the timbre and the tone are all for the same purpose.

Ignore them at peril of finding yourself misunderstood.

A.

Wrong, wrong, wrong :)

I agree that there are certain "rules" that need to be conformed to when using written (or typed) language to make oneself understood, that much is clear.

BUTTHEROMANSGOTBYWITHOUTTHEM :)

But there are no hard and fast rules for spoken speech.

Pulling someone up for the way they speak is nothing short of snobbery, and has absolutely nothing at all to do with the other person being incomprehensible to you.

I can turn on BBCR4 and listen to a news report about a "three car pile up" or RTE and listen to a story about a "tree car pile up", and I'm not an idiot so I know that RTE aren't talking about a crash in a forest. In fact, if you did think that, I'd say you were the ill-educated one. Or I can listen to a London-centric station and hear a report about a "free car pile up" and not run out to the site of the accident expecting to see a heap of cars being given away at no cost.

You see, I understand all (f)t(h)ree reports for what they are, and so, I suggest, would you.

While we're on the subject, I'm sure the original speakers of the English Language think us all lazy slobs for not pronouncing the "K" in words like Knife, Knight and Knee, after all, they pronounced the letter.

Language is not static, it is in a constant state of flux, and one way of speaking is not better or more educated or more proper than another.

Here's another example. The dropped "g" in "-ing" words. It used to be a marker of an upper class person in Britain, then the lower classes started copying them, and it became associated with them instead.

No, I'm not wrong.

Er, didn't the romans speak Latin? Plenty of rules there. And that collection of capitals you typed was very difficult to read.

Language does have rules, for the reasons I outlined.

Language does of course develop, but not as a result of ill-educated or lazy rule-breaking.

Its the slippery slope; The very fabric of society will crumble unless the basic tenet of our intelligence - communication - is safeguarded.

A.

The letter h is pronounced 'aitch', NOT haitch. Fact, not up for opinion.

You're wrong; gloriously so. Even the BBC, as I linked, accept that 'haitch' is the long-accepted pronunciation in Ireland. What's the betting that with your 'aitch' pronunciation you're British?

Do you also think 'an historic' is more correct than 'a historic' or 'whilst' is more 'proper' than 'while'? You'd be wrong there, also. :)

Language does of course develop, but not as a result of ill-educated or lazy rule-breaking.

Wrong again, very wrong.

No, I'm not wrong.
    Yes you are :)
    Er, didn't the romans speak Latin? Plenty of rules there. And that collection of capitals you typed was very difficult to read.
    For all it's rules and regulations, that collection of capitals you saw is exactly how Roman inscriptions have been found.

I'd love to hear the actual reasons you believe for the changes in language over the centuries, I really would.

One group start pronouncing something differently, not lazy, not ill educated, just different, and it spreads because it becomes stylish, or because it has connotations of being the way the better people speak, or just because.

At this very moment we are living through a vowel shift, and it is taking hold, and it is the beginning of a total diversification of the language spoken on either side of the Atlantic. Just like the Great Vowel Shift that gave us the English we know today
    Its the slippery slope; The very fabric of society will crumble unless the basic tenet of our intelligence - communication - is safeguarded.

A.
    Very quaint, but let's get back to Latin. Once the language of the rulers of Europe, now broken up by lazy Spaniards, Portuguese, Catalans, French, Italians, Romanians, Corsicans, Sardinians and Sicilians. Yes, the development of language is going to be the death of us all.

Des wrote: »
    But there are no hard and fast rules for spoken speech.

I think it was you that first introduced me to David Crystal, which is ironic as I have his book "the stories of English" open in front of me, the chapter entitled "standard rules", the section: pronunciation. :)

There are rules for pronunciation, but nobody really enforces them anymore. I've seen you chastise people in your forums for text speak, and I doubt you wrote your CV using text speak, was that snobbery? No, it's because you know what is and isn't appropriate. It's annoying to read text speak just a it's annoying to listen to a thick accent with slang.

Dammit, I was just about to go and get one of my David Crystal books to back up my points. :D

I see your point about txtspk etc, but listening to words and reading words are different experiences, and I, for one, don't care how a person sounds. If they are making an intelligent, well thought out point I couldn't care less if they speak with a thick inner city accent punctuated with effs or a hoity-toity marbles-in-ones-mouth accent.

Granted, I may be more prejudiced against the posha.

:D

Fwiw, the posh accent grates as much as the - as Joe Duffy describes it - working class Dublin accent, or the thick donegal accent. I'm just talking about the radio btw, I love regional accents in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nolo1

I heard Anne Doyle pronounce the word "sexual" the other night the same way she pronounces "issue" - without the 'h' sound and it really grated!

Advertisement