Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone expand on this

• 29-10-2010 9:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭

DÚN NA NGALL

The name Donegal is derived from the Gaelic Dún na nGall, meaning Fort of the Foreigners. The identity of these foreigners is unknown and therefore subject of several theories, but the most likely candidates are Danish Vikings who established a stronghold on the banks of the River Eske. Records show that prior to their arrival the area was known as Tír Conaill, or Land of Conaill. Until this day the surname Tyrconnell indicates a Donegal ancestry.
    Anyhow, the Irish regained the strategic bend in the river and built their own castle. Around the castle a lively town, now known as Donegal, emerged. In turn the town gave its name to the county, but surprisingly the title county capital was granted to Lifford.

Or give some pointers as to why Lifford is the Capital of Donegal Many Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Because its better :D

As far as i can recall Tir Conaill's castle was in or about Lifford and thats where the first settlements in donegal were.

* there is a chance this might not be right as i didn't pay much attention at school.

Theblueirish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Would it not have been Norwegian Vikings that wouild have been there? I thought they were more active on the Atlantic coast, where the Danes were more active on the North Sea area and Irish Sea. Also the gene group R1b is the very common on the west coast, and it's common in coastal Norway where I think in Denmark R1a is more common and this is fairly common in East and South East Ireland due to Danish Vikigns founding Dublin and the Normans (decendants from Danish Vikings), so if any Danish vikings got jiggy with the locals R1a would turn up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

hi, I dug this out...

Tyrconnell: 'a territory in Ireland, now more commonly referred to as County Donegal, although the Kingdom and later Principality of Tyrconnell was broader than that, including parts of Sligo, Leitrim (present day Republic of Ireland), Tyrone, Fermanagh and a southern part of Derry (currently Northern Ireland). It was founded in the fifth century by a supposed son of Niall of the Nine Hostages, Conall Gulban, the eponymous ancestor of the Cenél Conaill. His descendants ruled the kingdom till the Flight of the Earls in September 1607, which marked the end of the kingdom.'

Here is a map of Tyrconnell crica 1450

Kingdom_of_Tyrconnell_%281450s%29.png

Conall Gulban (died c. 464) was an Irish king who founded the kingdom of Tír Conaill in the 5th century, comprising much of what is now County Donegal. He was the son of Niall Noígiallach.[1]
    His byname Gulban derives from Benn Gulban (the mountain of Benbulban) in Co.Sligo, from which center the sons of Niall set out upon their conquest of the north.[2] King Conall Gulban was murdered by the Masraige at Magh Slécht (Co.Cavan) in 464. He was buried by Saint Caillin at Fenagh, Co.Leitrim.[3] He is important in the history of Irish Christianity as he was the first nobleman baptised by St.Patrick, thus opening the way for the conversion of the ruling classes of Ireland.
    He was apparently very close to his brother Eógan mac Néill who died of grief over his brother's death the next year.[4]
    His sons included Fergus Cendfota, Dauí (founder of the Cenél nDuach) and Énna Bogaine (founder of the Cenél mBogaine)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Im going to be highly controversial here.... I heard a theory about the name Gallagher..... Gall obair : foreign worker

Nothing to controversial as Gall is irish for foreign, but that does seem to be the translation.
    Wiki says the clan derives from cenel conaill and the "foreign worrker/foreign help" may have to do with being allies of foreingers than actually being foreign. As it's the most commonest name in the county and males tend to carry the O'Neill haplotype (see below) I'd say they are more than likely "native stock".
    http://sandwalk.blogspot.com/2008/10/niall-nigiallach-niall-of-nine-hostages.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

Hootanany wrote: »
    DÚN NA NGALL

Or give some pointers as to why Lifford is the Capital of Donegal Many Thanks in advance

From wikipedia, Lifford grew around a castle founded by Maghnus O Domhnaill in the 16th century. So, in essence Lifford as a county town dates back to the 1500's.

A bit more digging has yielded the location of Port-na-dtri-namhad, the port or bank of the three enemies as the location of the castle. Apparently it is mentioned in the Annals of the Four Masters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

In gaidhlig, 'Gael' is the indiginous folk while 'Gall' is a foreigner, which also means an outsider.
    My own mother's family name was Gallagher and the family hailed from Mee-na-gopag.

hiorta wrote: »
    In gaidhlig, 'Gael' is the indiginous folk while 'Gall' is a foreigner, which also means an outsider.
    My own mother's family name was Gallagher and the family hailed from Mee-na-gopag.

In the case of Gallagher the gall prefix may mean strange instead of foreign. So god know what you lot were up to back then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Sorry forgot to follow this thread thanks for replies:o

Advertisement