Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carbon MTB frame damage

• 29-10-2010 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

My Carbon mtb frame got a bit of damage from a rock a while ago, I noticed the other day that the thin layer that covers the frame is chipping a bit around where the damage is, any tips or ideas on how to repair or seal the damage :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Carbon frames are certainly repairable, and in more situations that you might think, as discussed here. The shops referred to on that page are obviously US ones though and I don't know what the options are on this side of the water. Amongst the comments on that page there is some mention of repairing minor damage yourself, which might be an option if you are confident with using epoxy (people who build/repair boats, surfboards, etc., might be able to offer advice or point you in the right direction of someone qualified to do the repair, maybe).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

Its just laquer, assuming the fibers arent exposed, you just need to water tight it somewhat. Araldite will work if appled lightly, It wont look good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

If it is just the lacquer (I now realise I didn't read the original post properly before my previous post - sorry), then you might be able to use the spray-on lacquer used for cars/motorbikes. You can buy cans of it in Halfords. I have no idea of compatibility with carbon fibre though so probably worth doing some digging online, and obviously reading the back of the can too, for info on whether it is safe to use.

I've used the Halford's spray-on lacquer on a steel frame (over several layers of paint) and it worked well. It's easy to apply too much though so you've got to be a bit careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭joeduke

Cheers man, I will it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭joeduke

I got the Clear Lacquer from Halfords and it did a graet job on the frame, I gave it 2 coats and it came up good as new. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement