Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crossing a solid white line

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

5.—(1) These bye-laws shall apply save where compliance therewith is not possible by reason solely of road-works, building operations or an obstruction to traffic, or because of an emergency suddenly confronting a driver, pedal-cyclist or pedestrian which he could not reasonably have been expected to anticipate.

I remember a past post by NGA saying that judges have ruled that a slow moving tractor can be considered to be an obstruction to traffic and have dismissed cases because of this. If the truck was going slow enough then there's every chance the judge will side with the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Yup, first it's guards enforcing the law, then human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

what im talking about is a bit of humanity in a situation not just law is law end of,things like overtaking a tractor on a white line sort of thing.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

jambofc wrote: »
    ,i thought this was the law,slow moving vehicle's are supposed to move over or pull in to let the traffic behind past??
    Nope, there is no such law. It always surprises me how many people think there is one. The RoTR suggests doing so, but it's not a law. Stopping beside a continuous white line would be illegal, so he just has to keep moving.

Nope, there is no such law. It always surprises me how many people think there is one. The RoTR suggests doing so, but it's not a law. Stopping beside a continuous white line would be illegal, so he just has to keep moving.

who said for him to stop,all he need of done is move over in the wider part of the road and we would all have got past without a problem.

a slow moving vehicle in any other country ive ever driven in are courteous and will always move over or pull over to let you past at the first opportunity,not so in this country a lot actually seem to try and stop you from overtaking them.

did i not read somewhere about a farmer being fined for not pulling over and causing an obstruction to traffic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

who said for him to stop,all he need of done is move over in the wider part of the road and we would all have got past without a problem.
    The rule is to drive on the left of the roadway. If there was a continuous white line, I assume that there was just one lane, so I don't see how a tractor could pull in to the left to make room for you without without going off the road. Tractors are usually as wide as a driving lane.
    did i not read somewhere about a farmer being fined for not pulling over and causing an obstruction to traffic?
    The circumstances were very specific and it was a judge who decided that the driving was inconsiderate. If you want to apply a general rule about obstruction, you could end up with banning cars from on-street parking, especially in cycle lanes.

• Advertisement

The rule is to drive on the left of the roadway. If there was a continuous white line, I assume that there was just one lane, so I don't see how a tractor could pull in to the left to make room for you without without going off the road. Tractors are usually as wide as a driving lane.

The circumstances were very specific and it was a judge who decided that the driving was inconsiderate. If you want to apply a general rule about obstruction, you could end up with banning cars from on-street parking, especially in cycle lanes.

there are plenty of parts on the road where he could quite easily have moved over/pulled over,he was adamant that nobody was getting past him stuck out on the white line,im in Meath and this is a big problem with tractors crawling along at ridiculously slow speeds and refusing to move over/pull over,i have often been on the road to Dublin and been stuck behind 20/30 vehicle's all crawling at 20 behind a tractor that refuses to move.annoying to say the least.

if you are driving a slow moving vehicle and traffic has built up behind you is it not inconsiderate to move over/pull over at the first opportunity?

dont really get the part about parking in cycle lanes :confused:

Advertisement