Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noob questions.

• 29-10-2010 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, i set up my free to air there yesterday. I have it on astra28.2E. Is this the best satellite for here? I have all the itv's, bbc's, e4, more 4, but no channel 4??? Should i scan for channels again?? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

You shouldn't have any problems with getting Channel 4 as it is in the clear. Try a rescan or, if you can figure it out, just try a transponder search with the details below:

10714.00 Horizontal
    DVB-S (QPSK)
    SR: 22000
    FEC: 5/6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Just checked the menu there but cant find a place to enter the information. I wil have a good look later. It would be in the installation section of the menu yea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Just checked the menu there but cant find a place to enter the information. I wil have a good look later. It would be in the installation section of the menu yea?

What receiver do you have?

Oh its only a yoke from lidl. Silver crest or somethin:)

Ok, well i did what you said in your first post. The signal was good then bad. I clicked search and got channel 4, film 4 etc. But there is no signal. Also the channels, like true movies etc were 'no signal' this morn but the itv's and bbc's are fine. Is it because of the ****ty weather? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Ok, well i did what you said in your first post. The signal was good then bad. I clicked search and got channel 4, film 4 etc. But there is no signal. Also the channels, like true movies etc were 'no signal' this morn but the itv's and bbc's are fine. Is it because of the ****ty weather? Thanks

Well the heavy rain will reduce your quality levels but if your dish it a decent size and accurately directed you should still be ok...

Is there an option somewhere on the silvercrest remote to display the Signal/Quality information on the screen? Should probably give you 2 percentages, one for Signal Strength and the other for Signal Quality. You can ignore the signal strength value the quality one is what you really want to be as close to 100% as possible...

Check now on the missing channels, and check again when the skys clear. If there is still no picture you'll need to tweak your dish or your lnb

The strenght is/was bouncin between high forties to seventies. I wil be home soon and check again. Just puzzling as i had true movies, etc last night but gone this morn, whilst i stil have itv's bbc's etc. Il check again when im home. Afaik, the dish is a 'sky' dish but not sure of the lnb. Last time i tried to tweak my last set up i lost everythin lol. The dish was on the house when we moved in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Quality values in the 40% region is just really on the edge of being stable...
    you really need to aim for a steady value above 80%

The tweaking is a 2 man (person:)) job ->
    1) change to one of the weak channels and put the quality display on the screen
    2) leave person #1 in front of the TV, hopefully within shouting distance of the dish - failing that get your walkie talkies (or mobiles) out
    3) person #2 head to the dish to tweak
    4) make very very small changes and wait for the higher or lower shout from person #1
    5) I'd start with the lnb skew -> basically try twisting it clockwise slowly -> if the numbers are going down change to anti-clockwise => stop when you have the highest Q percent
    6) next tweak the dish -> first don't loosen any of the bolts just yet... pull the dish horizontally to the left and hold in position (dish should move only very slightly while bolted tight) => if the Q% goes up your dish needs a nudge to the left (don't loosen anything just yet)
    7) try same as #6 but to the right to see if the dish needs a nudge that direction --> chances are your dish will need a nudge one of these two directions (still don't loosen any bolts just yet)
    8) now pull the dish up vertically, again will probably only move very slightly and you need to hold it while waiting for the higher/lower shout -> if the Q% goes up your dish is a tad low and needs a nudge up.
    9) same as #8 but pull down...
    10) as this point you have the lnb in its "best" position and you'll know if you need to nudge left or right and/or up or down -> now you can lightly loosen bolts and nudge the dish in the direction required
    11) keep nudging (slowly) till the Q% is as good as you can get, hopefully >80-90%
    12) tighten the bolts and keep in touch with person #1 while tightening as the dish may move while tightening...
    13) your done!

Hopefully you'll have a good steady CH-4 now... I'd do a full rescan after all of that.
    :)

Lads just checked, signal is 74 per cent, i have all my true movie's, music etc back as clear as day! But stil the channel 4 and film4 is stil, 'no signal'. Maybe its the lidl box!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭reaper180

doubt its the box,, as youd either get all fta or nothing ,, think you need to turn the lnb a bit at bottom to improve signal

• Advertisement

reaper180 wrote: »
    doubt its the box,, as youd either get all fta or nothing ,, think you need to turn the lnb a bit at bottom to improve signal

in what way reaper? Up or down or twist the lnb? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 chatterboxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I have it on astra28.2E. Is this the best satellite for here? .

Assuming youre after English language channels from (mainly) the UK then yes

Channel 4 should be on there somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭reaper180

in what way reaper? Up or down or twist the lnb? Thanks
    i have a lidl fta box along with 2 freesat and a combo box ,, onnected to sky dish and getting all fta,, the lnb needs a little twist at bottom,,standing in front of dish turn the lnb near to 7 as if you are looking at clock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭slegs

Return the Lidl box and get a Ross box from B&Q. It recieves many channels and it works brilliantly! Had it for 2 months and it's great, and I get BBC HD, BBC One HD (if FTA) and ITV 1 HD! Plus, these other 2 called Luxe TV HD and Luxury Life HD. :D

Why would he get a Ross box from B+Q? There are many better options including Freesat boxes that actually have a 7 day guide and automatically update transponder changes. The Ross box is a bog standard FTA HD receiver. Nothing special whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Infact the Ross box is a bad idea and their dish worse.

IMO the MINIMUM even if you don't have an HDTV is a "freesat HD" box.

Advertisement