Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where did I go horribly wrong? Cheesecake Brownie disaster

Options
  • 29-10-2010 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭

There was a really tantalizing recipe in the Sunday Times at the weekend for chocolate brownie and cheese cake squares. Now I'm not too bad in the kitchen but I really don't bake, so I followed the recipe to the letter (figuring, if you can read you should be able to cook something….perhaps not) , the result was underwhelming, it tasted greasy (well brownies can be kind of greasy anyway) and smelled and tasted a bit eggy.

I’ve a few ideas about where I cocked up but I’m not sure.

When making the brownie mix a melted 170grams of 70% cocoa dark chocolate with 350g of unsalted butter and a teaspoon of vanilla essence and left it aside to cool, but when I checked on the mixture it seemed that the butter had split out of it, there was a layer of oil on the top of the mixture so I gave it a thorough whisking and then I added the 70g flour and the caster sugar to the luke warm mixture, mixed it up and then added 5 medium eggs (beaten) to the mix and that seemed to recombine everything.
    I added the cheesecake mixture on top of the brownie mix and marbled it through with a fork and then baked for 35 mins.

So I guess I’m wondering if butter often splits out of a cooling mixture and if you then just beat it back in and throw in the other ingredients will it be ok or might the oily nature of that split stop the eggs combining with the mixture? Perhaps I just undercooked the mix but I don’t think so. The eggy smell is off putting in the final result and it just tastes a bit wierd.

Did anybody try that recipe out or have any advice about where I might have gone horribly wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I'd say that it's more likely that the mix didn't cool enough and the eggs scrambled when you put it in. A butter/chocolate mix like that will usually have the butter floating on top, it's not a problem usually.

Maybe just a bad recipe...to eggy?

Advertisement