Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Trading in an xbox elite with rrod

• 29-10-2010 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

Got the dreaded rrod last night!
    Have an elite, 2 years old in sept past, just wondering as its out of warranty with pc world, if I traded it in with game, gamestop etc, for new slimline, do they actually check for this problem?
    Very frustrating as I have box, receipt, everything as new intact.
    I know microsoft offer 3 year warranty on them now, but can't new bothered waiting on it to be repaired etc!

Any one any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

You want to trade it in without mentioning that it has this problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    You want to trade it in without mentioning that it has this problem?

Thats the point of this thread, wondering if its matters to them or not, as in does the machine have to be in working order?
    Am I obliged to tell them, or would I be better selling machine for spares on adverts.ie (game only offering 90 euro on trade in)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Gucky wrote: »
    Got the dreaded rrod last night!
    Have an elite, 2 years old in sept past, just wondering as its out of warranty with pc world, if I traded it in with game, gamestop etc, for new slimline, do they actually check for this problem?
    Very frustrating as I have box, receipt, everything as new intact.
    I know microsoft offer 3 year warranty on them now, but can't new bothered waiting on it to be repaired etc!

Any one any ideas?
    The replacement process will take 2 weeks at the most and be completely free for you.

If you try to trade in a broken console it will be detected as they'll test it beforehand.

Spoke to a console repair crowd, they have offered to repair for sixty euro.
    Game would trade in for one hundred and sixty, so basically one hundred extra for new slim line model.

Still wondering though if it matters about rrod though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Yes they will check.
    Yes you are obliged to tell them.

• Advertisement

hightower1 wrote: »
    Yes they will check.
    Yes you are obliged to tell them.

Goddam me and my conscience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They'll take the machine and leave it running for an hour before they accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Smithzer

Get Microsoft to repair it FOC its not that big of a task to send it off and it only takes about 10 days to get back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

This thread will be closed since you are discussing the intention to defraud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Gucky wrote: »
    but can't new bothered waiting on it to be repaired etc!

Any one any ideas?
    It would take around 3-4 weeks for the repair usually less. Just send it off and get it repaired!

• Advertisement

This thread will be closed since you are discussing the intention to defraud

Sorry, perhaps its been worded a bit iffy, but Im (seriously) not.
    Merely wondering if it mattered or not if it had the rrod, as I am unsure if they actually sell these consokes back to the public (where a broken one is of no use) pr they go back to microsoft/broke down for parts or even sent to WEE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Why would they buy a banjaxed xbox off you?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

They test consoles in store. You can only trade in a working machine.

Don't go next door near a "repair guy" because you have a free repair available from MS. Be patient, the trade in price of the consoles won't change. Two weeks you'll have your new X Box!

niallon wrote: »
    They test consoles in store. You can only trade in a working machine.

Don't go next door near a "repair guy" because you have a free repair available from MS. Be patient, the trade in price of the consoles won't change. Two weeks you'll have your new X Box!

Lol, Strangely enough the guy I was thinking of taking it to is in your neck of the woods :pac::pac::pac:

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    Why would they buy a banjaxed xbox off you?:confused:

See the post above your comment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Why spend a single euro getting it fixed by some hobbyist when you can get it fixed for free from Microsoft? It's almost no effort to arrange the fix, and then you just wait for 10 working days and it'll be back and will either be a new motherboard, or a refurbished console. Either way, it will be like new with no RROD and then you can sell it to a shop or try sell it privately.

Any other idea you're even considering isn't worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Mperrozzi

If you really want to trade it in,

Search towel trick on YouTube and it will work for 4-5 days after doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mperrozzi wrote: »
    Search towel trick on YouTube and it will work for 4-5 days after doing it.

Don't do that. Imagine a family who have been scraping together a few euros here and there to afford an xbox for their kids at Christmas. They go down the second hand route, and the console is knackered by Stephen's Day.

Get it fixed properly.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

yea I think that towel trick is a really sly way alright.
    OP sounds like you just want to upgrade to the new xbox.
    why don't you just buy the slim now, send your xbox off to be repaired and when it comes back sell it. you'll prob get more..

Ups collecting tomorrow guys, official repair from microsoft!
    Elite will do me now, until it goes again lol!

• Advertisement
Advertisement