Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B**tard Boss

Options
  • 29-10-2010 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

So here is my story,I have been picking up a new work project for over a year now.I'm getting great results and and everything is fine.When I was approached to take up the extra work my boss said they had no extra funds to pay me more,but that when a big grant(due Jan) comes in I will be well looked after.So times are hard and I said fine I understand,since then my boss has hired 2 new ppl one on a lot more money than me and is spending money like it's going out of fashion.I talked to him yesterday about this and he said that come January they will be offering me a new job..Problem is it's on a lesser contract,less money and more work!!!!So I think is this guy nuts???Turns out he has already approached another member of staff to take over my job and she had agreed..He has now said that if he has to cut jobs in the future,the job I have currently will be the first to go even though I'm one of the longest here and that is why I should take the new job!!!Has anyone any ideas how I should handle this,as I see him most days!!If he bothers to turn up!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

Strange situation, it does seem a bit dodgy alright, I'd go to citizens infomation about it, you can find your closest centre here http://centres.citizensinformation.ie/
    Have you a written contract, have you signed it or is this all a verbal agreement, are you permanant?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

Strange situation, it does seem a bit dodgy alright, I'd go to citizens infomation about it, you can find your closest centre here http://centres.citizensinformation.ie/
    Have you a written contract, have you signed it or is this all a verbal agreement, are you permanant?

I have a written contract for my current job,the extra work was done in good faith and verbal only.I have a contract of indefinite duration at the mo..He has told me that with the current climate,the 5 yr contract they will offer me is better than my current contract.But my job always had a first in first out policy and I'm the 5th longest here out of 22.
    I have asked that if I move to this new position if the funds end after the 5 yrs my old position would still be available(as has been done for others) and he said No.Guess it's ok for him to say on 220k a yr!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

canonball5 wrote: »
    I have a written contract for my current job,the extra work was done in good faith and verbal only.I have a contract of indefinite duration at the mo..He has told me that with the current climate,the 5 yr contract they will offer me is better than my current contract.But my job always had a first in first out policy and I'm the 5th longest here out of 22.
    I have asked that if I move to this new position if the funds end after the 5 yrs my old position would still be available(as has been done for others) and he said No.Guess it's ok for him to say on 220k a yr!!!

The fact that you have an indefinate written contract currently would suggest to me that he cant let you go without compensation (Redundancy). By signing the new contract he is able to let you go after the 5 year contract with no compensation. Personally I would refuse to sign the new contract and tell him that it is unacceptable, he can't just fire you for not signing a new contract as your current contract protects you from that. You need to talk to him again about the pay situation. Make sure you write down everything you talk about with him from memory with dates and times so that you have proof if he were to try to let you go

Advertisement