Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, X58, Socket-1366 boot from pci-e supported

Options
  • 29-10-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have the above motherboard and I am trying to find out can I boot from PCI-E, I have looked around and I cant find anywhere that says it can/cant.

Im playing around with the idea of buying a OCZ REVODRIVE PCI-EXPRESS SSD or similar. It doesnt say on the OCZ site that its not compatible with the GA-EX58-UD3R which I think means the mobo will boot from PCI-E..

Any thoughts ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

My thought is you should get a proper SSD and boot from that, much less hassle and will definitely work.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

My thought is you should get a proper SSD and boot from that, much less hassle and will definitely work.

I have one already that i boot from...but booting from PCI is far more interesting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

they dont support trim yet though right?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Apparently so (since only very recently by the looks of it :)). Looking at the RW speeds I imagine it would require dropping a **** load of cash on it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/SSD-RevoDrive-PCI-express-sandforce-RAID-0,11548.html

No idea what motherboards support PCIe boot though, had never even crossed my mind before that it was something that could be done.

Advertisement