Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporting Fingal Stadium Lusk

Options
  • 29-10-2010 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Is this still on the cards? Haven't heard much about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Yes it is. Funding is all that is needed. I believe that planning was submitted and approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Look at google maps, there's a plot of land North of Station Road(East side of Lusk) that is labelled as 'Fingal Sports Complex'

Linky: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=County+Fingal,+Ireland&ll=53.524327,-6.154447&spn=0.007067,0.013797&t=h&z=16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Look at google maps, there's a plot of land North of Station Road(East side of Lusk) that is labelled as 'Fingal Sports Complex'

Linky: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=County+Fingal,+Ireland&ll=53.524327,-6.154447&spn=0.007067,0.013797&t=h&z=16

Interesting. From what I read the council provides the pitch and Fingal the Grandstand? So what timeline are we looking at? Fingal is fulltime isnt it?

I really dont know, I think it was Lamper that provided me with a few links to Newspaper articles, but I dont think theres been any further news since they were released.

I really dont know, I think.. but I dont know, bleh.

Lamper's post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68171347&postcount=552

Its got all the latest news on the complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

The work is starting next month.

• Advertisement

Serious? Wow. What work exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Cant see it happening to be honest. Wasn't a well known builder(wont mention names) funding Sporting Fingal and with this builder now on the Nama hall of fame i cant see it getting built. And the small matter of Fingal Co Co being broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Unless the title is misleading I would be in favour of them finding the money for it. It is an important piece of infrastructure.

I sent a letter suporting the Fingal Sports Campus to Fingal C.C when I was chairman of St. Maurs G.A.A club on the basis it would cater for all sports.I was not popular with other G.A.A. clubs for doing so but we felt it would be of huge benefit to the whole community. I got a reply which said it would be a multi sports facility with a gym and top class facilities to develop all sports but because of size restrictions it would not cater for adult G.A.A. but would facilitate Juvenile G.A.A. I later had a meeting with an official and laid it down the same way.

If you pardon the pun and we are talking about the same venue and the goalposts have been moved and it is now only a soccer stadium I would strongly oppose it. In Rush alone we have a good few clubs who are badly stuck for space to train and get coached and if Fingal are going to pump public money in they will have to cater for more than 1 sport. At a national level the main sports bodies should be putting money up for this. Mr Gannon has been good to all sports not just soccer but if the F.A.I can afford to pay Mr. Delaney such a great salary they can afford to start stumping up some money.

It still will be a multi sport complex for all sports in Fingal.

Care to give a little more information? What work will be going ahead and when? Timeframes? When we can expect it to be completed? etc.

• Advertisement

LeoB - I think the issue is more to do with the GAA than with Fingal Co. Co.

It should be a great venue when completed.

Paulw wrote: »

Agreed it should be great venue when complete, and it should also benefit the whole community.

It has nothing to do with G.A.A from what I can see Paulw. Its an issue only for Fingal C.C. The G.A.A have no role in this process as they are trying to complete their Saggart project.

However if they are spending public money the G.A.A are right to insist on being included. Just like the F.A.I. have recieved money from MOST county councils around the country for putting in all weather mini-pitchs.

The difference historically is the G.A.A have usually gone their own way with building stadiums and they provide funds from central council to assist clubs who put forward a viable proposal ti improve their facilites

Paulw wrote: »

Youre not gonna answer me, are ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,187 ✭✭✭✭CSF

LeoB wrote: »
    Agreed it should be great venue when complete, and it should also benefit the whole community.

It has nothing to do with G.A.A from what I can see Paulw. Its an issue only for Fingal C.C. The G.A.A have no role in this process as they are trying to complete their Saggart project.

However if they are spending public money the G.A.A are right to insist on being included. Just like the F.A.I. have recieved money from MOST county councils around the country for putting in all weather mini-pitchs.

The difference historically is the G.A.A have usually gone their own way with building stadiums and they provide funds from central council to assist clubs who put forward a viable proposal ti improve their facilites
    As if the GAA have suffered from a lack of government funding. Thomas Davis all over again. I'm no Fingal fan by any means but I hope the GAA bigots don't destroy this. I'm just shocked they weren't trying to push the Clanna Gael Fontenoy into the Aviva.

Youre not gonna answer me, are ya?

Nope, I'm not. :p Simply because I have no answer to give. :D

Care to give a little more information? What work will be going ahead and when? Timeframes? When we can expect it to be completed? etc.

I had not heard it was starting but neither am I in the building or engineering business so I cant give you any more details. I do intend to make enquiry on Monday and see whats happening.

I would imagine if it started in Jan 2011 it would take 18months to complete but I am only guessing. How long did Aviva take.

CSF wrote: »
    As if the GAA have suffered from a lack of government funding. Thomas Davis all over again. I'm no Fingal fan by any means but I hope the GAA bigots don't destroy this. I'm just shocked they weren't trying to push the Clanna Gael Fontenoy into the Aviva.

Who are the bigots you talk about here?

Firstly this is not about the G.A.A its about a sports facility for the community.

The G.A.A got funding for Croke Park in 3 different phases. Part grant from central gov and part lotto. The first thing to bear in mind is the G.A.A paid 21% on their works and also created a lot of employment. For one particular phase of the work the G.A.A paid £8million in V.A.T not to mention the the workers contributions which they might otherwise have not got. The G.A.A are entitled to apply for Gov funding just like any other sporting organisation, club or community project and if you satisfy the criteria you will get funding. You should bear in mind the F.A.I were offered serious money back in the late 1960s early 70s for Dalymount and were getting a green field site but for some reason or other this did not go ahead at a time when they (F.A.I) and L.O.I clubs had serious crowds at their matchs.

This is not Thomas Davis all over again, Fingal unlike S.D.C.C made committments to build a multi-sports complex and that is what they should do. Clan Na Gael dont need Aviva but maybe Bohs and and a few other clubs could do with it. Thomas Davis also had the right to object to the terms of the tallaght stadium just like you or I have the right to object to any planning application on non-spurious grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I did a thesis on land use for different sports in Dublin and specifically at how local authorities deal with each sport. Its all fairly statistical but Fingal C.C. provides a lot more for soccer than Gaelic games. Now there could be many reasons for this. The main one I feel is soccer is a much more casual and disorganised sport with most clubs having just one team so they play on council land whereas G.A.A. clubs are much more parish based. I'll throw a few stats at ye.

Soccer:
    Number of teams - 80
    Estimated number of players - 880 minimum
    Number of players per 10,000 of population in Fingal: 73
    Total Public Land given to Soccer: 650,132 m²

Gaelic Games
    Number of teams: 102
    Estimated number of players: 1530 minimum
    Number of players per 10,000 of population in Fingal:128
    Total Public Land given to Gaelic Games: 325,448 m²

This data is only adult males playing each sport so it doesn't show the full picture but it clearly shows the council provides double the amount of land for Soccer even though it only has half the participation rate of Gaelic Games. In the interests of forward planning the site should be as accessible as possible to all sports, particularly the most popular field sport in the county!

If anyone wants to bore themselves by having a glance at the document send me a pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Lets not make it soccer v gaa debate. Rugby in NCD is very under developed especially with Skerries decline so a multi field sport facility will be a big help.

Thats an interesting set of figures. I do think in fairness that soccer has become more organise in recent years.
    But as most people around here know I am fairly involved in G.A.A and hope for the good of the community this project does go ahead. Thats my view by the way and may not be nessecarily the view of my club.

I think a sports campus if done correctly with plenty of input from local interests/clubs/individuals could be fantastic, Running track, badminton, Tennis, Basketball, indoor bowls. It should be a template for other councils to use to promote a healthy lifestyle.

That said I will personally object if Gaelic Games are not included in a meaningful way

Agree it should not be a G.A.A v Soccer debate. The pitch measurements for soccer and rugby are much the same but the Gaelic Pitch is quite a bit bigger and would push up costs considerably, but it can still be included in a meaningful way. If it does develop that way guess who will be driving it?? I dont think it will be G.A.A. (and defo Not me)

• Advertisement

It shouldnt be a one sports versus another debate but the council should be trying to make their facilities as open as possible to everything. I dont know the site in particular but with the way money is so tight nowadays they should build for the future and try and encompass the needs of the whole county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I did a thesis on land use for different sports in Dublin and specifically at how local authorities deal with each sport. Its all fairly statistical but Fingal C.C. provides a lot more for soccer than Gaelic games. Now there could be many reasons for this. The main one I feel is soccer is a much more casual and disorganised sport with most clubs having just one team so they play on council land whereas G.A.A. clubs are much more parish based. I'll throw a few stats at ye.

Soccer:

Gaelic Games

This data is only adult males playing each sport so it doesn't show the full picture but it clearly shows the council provides double the amount of land for Soccer even though it only has half the participation rate of Gaelic Games. In the interests of forward planning the site should be as accessible as possible to all sports, particularly the most popular field sport in the county!

If anyone wants to bore themselves by having a glance at the document send me a pm.
    Whats your source on this? And are you saying it leaves out schoolboy soccer entirely?

Have you a breakdown of current funding of GAA vs Football from all sources to go with it?
    LeoB wrote:
    However if they are spending public money the G.A.A are right to insist on being included.
    Why? Why do the GAA think they have a right to a piece of every pie? Do the GAA offer their part and fully publicly funded facilities to other sports? No, they dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Again ill just echo the point that it shouldnt be for just one sport and should try to include as many (that is reasonable) as possible. It would be the best way to represent the community and its sporting interests.
    This is not the original idea for Sporting fingal's stadium and it was a stadium in swords that fingal where to go into. This has been put on the back burner due to the recession.
    The lusk facility is the one that was originally earmarked for Donabate and was moved from there to lusk due to environmental issues. As i understand it, Sporting Fingal will be the main tennants but will always look to eventually move to swords as the stadium is still in the future plannning of swords.

The last I heard was, the fingal Independant had a small article stating the council would release a small amount of funds towards it this year. 250,000 if memory serves me. This would be used to at least get the ball rolling. I was informed at a fans meeting a few months ago that ground would be broken in November and this was reiterated at another meeting a few weeks ago. So as far as I know, this is where we stand at the mo.

It is hoped by our club, that if the building of it at least starts then the pressure will be on to complete it.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Whats your source on this? And are you saying it leaves out schoolboy soccer entirely?

Have you a breakdown of current funding of GAA vs Football from all sources to go with it?

It leaves out schoolboy soccer and juvenile gaelic games as the data is very difficult to access and very few leagues were forthcoming with assisting me with this. So to make it objective I just looked at the adult mens sector in each sport. I obtained the data from the FAI and the affiliated leagues' websites which have secretarial handbooks. Similar process for gaelic games but it came from 1 centralised source so it was easier. Regarding land size, I measured this myself using mapping software. Sorry I have no data on funding as I wasn't really interested with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,187 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Why? Why do the GAA think they have a right to a piece of every pie? Do the GAA offer their part and fully publicly funded facilities to other sports? No, they dont.
    This is my point, worded much better.

Why not?

Where do the G.A.A think they have a right to to a piece of every pie. Also most G.A.A clubs facilitate soccer clubs on a local level, its quite common in Rush anyway. Judging from most of the posts here it appears to me most people are in favour of a multi sports campus. Are you?

On your point of G.A.A offering their facilities to other sports Yes they do. But there are rules just like trying to join the soccer forum here on boards. When the I.R.F.U and F.A.I took their heads from their **** they got to use Croke Pk. Remember the great Rugby matchs and the F.A.I fleecing their hard pushed supporters for crazy money to watch a game or 3.

Fingal are one of the better councils in Ireland and I would have every faith in them delivering this project for all the community.
    However I cant see it happening in the next 24 months

Do you have any idea of how much the F.A.I will contribute to the facility or will they want money to get involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Also most G.A.A clubs facilitate soccer clubs on a local level
    Rubbish.

Why not?
    Also most G.A.A clubs facilitate soccer clubs on a local level, its quite common in Rush anyway. Judging from most of the posts here it appears to me most people are in favour of a multi sports campus. Are you?

On your point of G.A.A offering their facilities to other sports Yes they do. But there are rules just like trying to join the soccer forum here on boards. When the I.R.F.U and F.A.I took their heads from their **** they got to use Croke Pk. Remember the great Rugby matchs and the F.A.I fleecing their hard pushed supporters for crazy money to watch a game or 3.

Fingal are one of the better councils in Ireland and I would have every faith in them delivering this project for all the community.
    However I cant see it happening in the next 24 months

Do you have any idea of how much the F.A.I will contribute to the facility or will they want money to get involved?

There are a few more questions you appear to have forgot to answer, if you care to
    Rubbish.

I gave you one example of a club who get cooperation. Can you or are you prepared to name clubs who downright refused to facilitate or help soccer clubs or other sports?

Remember I would consider myself a die hard G.A.A. and am not alone in my club. We have on numerous occasions helped out our local soccer club.

Until you hear that Gaa will not be accomodated in the complex then there isnt a reason for any GAA supporter to feel left out. The plan for the complex is for a number of sports with GAA being one of them and bear in mind it hasnt even started being built yet then calm down with the Gaa slating bit and Gaa supporters feeling left out.
    In the mean time tell all your family and friends to come out and support Sporting Fingal next year.

• Advertisement

Im not sure I would feel left out. I fully understand the cost implications of catering for adult G.A.A. games but would be furious if kids were left out.

I have not got to see Sporting Fingal play yet as my kids keep me busy on Friday nights, each night I had planned to go there was always something on.

They have done very well and hopefully they will continue to do so.

Advertisement