Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporting Fingal Stadium Lusk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

LeoB wrote: »
    Im not sure I would feel left out. I fully understand the cost implications of catering for adult G.A.A. games but would be furious if kids were left out.

I have not got to see Sporting Fingal play yet as my kids keep me busy on Friday nights, each night I had planned to go there was always something on.

They have done very well and hopefully they will continue to do so.

Bring them along :D The club encourages families to come to games.

There is no scumbag element and is a very welcoming club and environment to bring the family. We need the community to come out and support us as our crowds are not always the best but it is fingal's club and as a community we should support them(well I think so anyway). We play some of the best football in the league (always play it on the deck) No hoof ball at our club:). I dream of the day when we have our own ground and the fingal community come out in force to support their local team. A club like this is very important for a community and you only have to look into some of the back stories on the SF website to see what the club does for fingal beyond the football.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Lets not make it soccer v gaa debate.

Best of luck with that. Unfortunately too many people live in the past and can't but help drag their petty squabbles into an otherwise reasonable discussion (two obvious ones in this very thread).

In reality the way sports funding in Ireland is tilted in favour of 'the big three' and against smaller sports - increasingly we need to move to the creation of facilities that encompass as many sports as possible.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Rubbish.

Impressive argument.

Why do the GAA think they have a right to a piece of every pie?

Nothing more then a strawman.
    CiaranC wrote: »
    Do the GAA offer their part and fully publicly funded facilities to other sports? No, they dont.

That's strange - I'll have to tell my nieces, who do athletics every week on numerous different GAA grounds around East Cork (and beyond) the above, I can only imagine their suprise.

Similarly, I can remember playing with the local Rugby team (and community athletic events) on the local GAA grounds when why I was kid - but presumebly that was just my imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Keep it all in the one post, bud.

Personally, I hope the complex accomadates for as many local teams as possible, as long as they don't go installing big fúck off GAA goalposts.

edit: Seriously Orizio, the edit/multi-quote buttons are your friends.

• Advertisement

I did a thesis on land use for different sports in Dublin and specifically at how local authorities deal with each sport. Its all fairly statistical but Fingal C.C. provides a lot more for soccer than Gaelic games. Now there could be many reasons for this. The main one I feel is soccer is a much more casual and disorganised sport with most clubs having just one team so they play on council land whereas G.A.A. clubs are much more parish based. I'll throw a few stats at ye.

Soccer:

Gaelic Games

This data is only adult males playing each sport so it doesn't show the full picture but it clearly shows the council provides double the amount of land for Soccer even though it only has half the participation rate of Gaelic Games. In the interests of forward planning the site should be as accessible as possible to all sports, particularly the most popular field sport in the county!

If anyone wants to bore themselves by having a glance at the document send me a pm.

Do me a favour and send along the document Delta_Bravo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

I did a thesis on land use for different sports in Dublin and specifically at how local authorities deal with each sport. Its all fairly statistical but Fingal C.C. provides a lot more for soccer than Gaelic games. Now there could be many reasons for this. The main one I feel is soccer is a much more casual and disorganised sport with most clubs having just one team so they play on council land whereas G.A.A. clubs are much more parish based. I'll throw a few stats at ye.

Soccer:

Gaelic Games

This data is only adult males playing each sport so it doesn't show the full picture but it clearly shows the council provides double the amount of land for Soccer even though it only has half the participation rate of Gaelic Games. In the interests of forward planning the site should be as accessible as possible to all sports, particularly the most popular field sport in the county!

If anyone wants to bore themselves by having a glance at the document send me a pm.

Basically what you are saying is that you want the complex to be mainly for GAA with facilities for other sports thrown in. It would be great if there was Sporting Fingal Gaa teams playing there as well at all levels as well as Sporting Fingal basketball teams etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Orizio wrote: »
    Nothing more then a strawman.

That's strange - I'll have to tell my nieces, who do athletics every week on numerous different GAA grounds around East Cork (and beyond) the above, I can only imagine their suprise.

Similarly, I can remember playing with the local Rugby team (and community athletic events) on the local GAA grounds when why I was kid - but presumebly that was just my imagination.

Well the GAA openness to Athletics is hardly surprising.

Original Aims of the Gaelic Athletic Association

To foster and promote native Irish pastimes
    To open athletics to all social classes
    To aid in the establishment of hurling and football clubs which would organise matches between counties

The only real foreign sport that the GAA has supported in there history is actually BasketBall for some strange reason. Perhaps the involvement of the clergy with several of the high profile basketball 3rd level institutions in the US made it more acceptable to allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Just a general comment to all: Please stay on-topic, ie, the planned Sports Campus in Lusk.

If you want to have wider debate about sports funding & who deserves/gets it - please use the relevant forum in the Sports category.

Thanks,

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Look at google maps, there's a plot of land North of Station Road(East side of Lusk) that is labelled as 'Fingal Sports Complex'

Linky: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=County+Fingal,+Ireland&ll=53.524327,-6.154447&spn=0.007067,0.013797&t=h&z=16
    Is that definitely the location? I lived 5 mins walk from there (my folks still do) and while that kind of thing would be amazing, the infrastructure around it (public transport, parking etc) needs a kick in the arse if a load of people are going to be traipsing up there every other Friday over the summer (LoI is a summer league right? I know I should know :o). I look forward to seeing how this pans out as a multi-sport facility in what is still quite a small village (albeit not as small as it once was.)

• Advertisement

Irish Halo wrote: »
    Is that definitely the location? I lived 5 mins walk from there (my folks still do) and while that kind of thing would be amazing, the infrastructure around it (public transport, parking etc) needs a kick in the arse if a load of people are going to be traipsing up there every other Friday over the summer (LoI is a summer league right? I know I should know :o). I look forward to seeing how this pans out as a multi-sport facility in what is still quite a small village (albeit not as small as it once was.)

Just to touch on the parking thingy. The train station will have more than enough room to accommodate fans traveling to games and is only a 5 min walk away.

The league is a summer league. March to November.

Just a question in regard to this site housing LoI games, do the home football team pay for policing like in the UK? Just that the police in the area are fairly thin on the ground compared to Santry and I know Sporting Fingal fans have a great reputation but the last 3 years have seen incidents with other fans around Dublin.

We havent had any real problems with visiting fans at Morton. I think its up to the home team and the guards in deciding how many is needed per match and they wouldnt be taken just from lusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

Folks,

When is this due to be build by? Also are Sporting Fingal still going to play at Morton next season until the stadium is build?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I would imagine if it started in Jan 2011 it would take 18months to complete but I am only guessing. How long did Aviva take.

Aviva took the guts of 3 and a half years. However there was demolishing involved in that which may have run longer. Also issues with residents and the railway line, which limited some of the work. I haven't looked at the plans for the Lusk one, but I doubt it would be anywhere near the Aviva in terms of the length of time.

It would be great if it catered to all sports, but both Rush and Lusk do have quite strong GAA clubs and complexes so the view might be taken that the facilities are already present for those.I think the same goes for Skerries/Swords etc, clubs in the area that would probably get the most use from it. Lusk soccer has facilities alright, but I believe the GAA is better. I can't comment on Rush soccer though.

It might just be the one thing that improves the train/bus service to Lusk, and possibly further up the line to Balbriggan etc? The station is good now, but the regularity of the trains isn't great, and let's not get started on buses!!!

Personally, I still find it a rather odd choice of location for something like this....:confused:. However, it would be a welcome addition, so no further complaints!!!

Well it depends what people want out of the site, do they want it as an overflow training facility for the mainsports of soccer/gaa in the area or as a home for the marginal sports in the catchment area such as rugby, athletics, boxing, tennis or cycling etc.

Also seening that Ireland is under resourced with facilities such as this, should it be co-ordinated with the national sports council as after all success starts at a grass routes level. If planned correctly they could have tied in funding from individual sports bodies on to the one site easing the burden on FCC. Out of interest I have listed the breakdown of Irish Olympic Medals

Breakdown of Irish Olympic Overall Medals by Sport
    Sport Gold Silver Bronze Total
    Athletics 4 2 0 6
    Swimming 3 0 1 4
    Boxing 1 4 7 12
    Sailing 0 1 0 1
    Total 8 7 8 23

Personally i think it would be a good centre for SPORT FOR ALL and not just football and gaelic but a facility our power soccer team can use as a base as well as our special olympics team and cater for other people who would like to get involved in sport but feel left out for whatever reason be it that they have some sort of disability or just feel left out because of some sport might have an elitist outlook on their sport and only want the cream of the crop so to speak which is good in itself but others shouldnt be left behind if they want to get involved in sport . I believe this is the aim of the SPORT IN FINGAL project and can only be a good thing for our community and should be supported to the full no matter what your sport is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Athletics 4 2 0 6
    Swimming 3 0 1 4 Tainted by doping
    Boxing 1 4 7 12
    Sailing 0 1 0 1
    Total 8 7 8 23

FYP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Basically what you are saying is that you want the complex to be mainly for GAA with facilities for other sports thrown in. It would be great if there was Sporting Fingal Gaa teams playing there as well at all levels as well as Sporting Fingal basketball teams etc.

There is a Fingal G.A.A team. For the last number of years they have been playing in the National League and done reasonably well. Players from Rush, Lusk, Skerries Swords, Portmarnock, Malahide, Donaghameade and this year a player from Oldtown. Home games are played in Lawless Pk Swords.
    The cost of incorporating G.A.A full size pitch into the Fingal sports campus would push costs up quite a bit. However I was pointing out, just to show where the bigots really are is that sections of the G.A.A. supported this facility going ahead once the G.A.A were included and I am glad to say Fingal have made allowances for juvenile games to be played.

History. The first ever home game in in Fingal against Louth in Swords.
    [EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]3282528135_87a5bc370b.jpg[/EMAIL]">

RobFowl wrote: »
    FYP ;)

Nothing has been proved against our swimmer only she tampered with a sample out of competition. Will we go and take back medals off all the players who cheated in the last F.I.F.A World Cup? The divers. Anyway what has this to do with Fingal Sports campus?

• Advertisement

Well it depends what people want out of the site, do they want it as an overflow training facility for the mainsports of soccer/gaa in the area or as a home for the marginal sports in the catchment area such as rugby, athletics, boxing, tennis or cycling etc.

Also seening that Ireland is under resourced with facilities such as this, should it be co-ordinated with the national sports council as after all success starts at a grass routes level. If planned correctly they could have tied in funding from individual sports bodies on to the one site easing the burden on FCC. Out of interest I have listed the breakdown of Irish Olympic Medals

Athletics 4 2 0 6
    Swimming 3 0 1 4
    Boxing 1 4 7 12
    Sailing 0 1 0 1
    Total 8 7 8 23

Excellent post.

It should be for everyone State of the art running track, top class basketball and badminton courts, Fully equiped gym.

A Fingal Centre of Excellence. We need sports pushed up the agenda especially for our young teens who seem to fall away sometimes because of a lack of facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

What we dont need is another pitch surrounded by a running track, why do you feel the need to be included in this? You have your own land at Maurs.. its a LOT of land. Round Towers has theirs and Skerries has the Ballis pit. Youre fully equipped, go away. And for the love of God.. edit.gif <- use that more often.

What we dont need is another pitch surrounded by a running track, why do you feel the need to be included in this? You have your own land at Maurs.. its a LOT of land. Round Towers has theirs and Skerries has the Ballis pit. Youre fully equipped, go away. And for the love of God.. edit.gif <- use that more often.

Say whats on your mind. I dont mind I have heard so much crap about the G.A.A I just laugh at most of it. We are not fully equiped, we alwys want to improve, we wont sit back and rest, we are all parish teams commmunity driven and that is why we have what we have. Its not that we feel the need to be included we (Maurs) supported this project from the start and have as much right as anyone to be put our case forward for inclusion of the children we coach.
    Do you not want to see Juvenile G.A.A players included?

If its going to be a Fingal Sports Campus let it be that. The G.A.A clubs in north Dublin have good facilities ok but that should exclude them. The clubs you mention have worked their socks off to get their facilities and have contributed as mush if not more to their communities in my opinion than any sport. Other organisations could well do with taking a leaf from the G.A.A when it comes to developing facilities. Jeasus I cant wait for Maurs to launch their campaign for a full size All-Weather floodlit pitch. If Maurs produce a good plan for their facility and present it properly the G.A.A. will give them substantial funding towards the cost. Maybe Fingal should have a dedicated soccer arena but if so let the F.A.I. stump up the money. They pay enough to Mr. Delaney and perhaps a cut in his outrageous salary would get the ball rolling

The pitch does not have to have a running track around it but an athletics track should be included with each school being allocated a time slot

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Anyway what has this to do with Fingal Sports campus?
    Nothing - so before RobFowl starts giving us chapter and verse on the history of doping in Ireland, a gentle reminder to keep on topic...;)

Thanks

Beasty

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Mea Culpa

FTR I believe this proposed development is extremely promising. The location looks right to me and the proposed facilities are first class. Just hope it doesn't get dropped in the race to the bottom we seem to be in just now,

RobFowl wrote: »
    Mea Culpa

FTR I believe this proposed development is extremely promising. The location looks right to me and the proposed facilities are first class. Just hope it doesn't get dropped in the race to the bottom we seem to be in just now,

Agree with you here. It will be great for all the community. I have some meetings and clinic appointments for this week and next and I will encourage the people I meet to push this project along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Go for it LeoB.
    Though I'm inclined to think GAA should be pushed down the list a little bit as their facilities are good in general, but there are other facilities that could be put in.
    Swimming pool anyone? (I'm being fanciful) But it's been on the agenda for Skerries/Balbriggan for years....and since we're building the centre in the first place, it would seem to be a logical conclusion.....
    Nothing wrong with wanting to improve the GAA, but there are those of us out here who play neither GAA nor football, and would like the opportunity to have something there for other sports - badminton, running, swimming etc. Along with pitches for GAA/football etc.

Well if your being fanciful might I say Velodrome. Not cheap to build
    The track costs about 2% of the total cost but it is a form of the sport geared to spectators so racing events can be organised. Plenty of rough and tumble to keep the crowds interested. The sport has got a good following in Ireland and Irish cycling at Olympic level has underachieved. Morton Stadium in the 50s/60s use to hold track races with the likes of Shay Elliot taking part. The track was still a cinders track then so I understand it made for interesting watching.

Since the UK built the Manchester Velodrome in 1996

GB Olympic Cycling Medals

Year Gold Silver Bronze Total
    1996 0 0 2 2
    2000 1 1 2 4
    2004 2 1 1 4
    2008 8 4 2 14

As a community I think we need to get behind this project and put the pressure on. Its not just SF who will benefit but the whole community and a broad spectrum of sports hopefully.

Im not too sure though how we can go about pressurising the council to get the finger out. Iv never really gone about doing something like this so maybe some people would have some good ideas.

• Advertisement

dan_d wrote: »
    Go for it LeoB.
    Though I'm inclined to think GAA should be pushed down the list a little bit as their facilities are good in general, but there are other facilities that could be put in.
    Swimming pool anyone? (I'm being fanciful) But it's been on the agenda for Skerries/Balbriggan for years....and since we're building the centre in the first place, it would seem to be a logical conclusion.....
    Nothing wrong with wanting to improve the GAA, but there are those of us out here who play neither GAA nor football, and would like the opportunity to have something there for other sports - badminton, running, swimming etc. Along with pitches for GAA/football etc.

I would agre with most of your post except the top line. The G.A.A have been pushed out really. The inclusion of Juvenile G.A.A is only a token but very important jesture and as a life long G.A.A supporter I accept their reason, cost due to the size of G.A.A. pitch as opposed to Soccer, Rugby and field hockey.

A swimming pool would be the icing on the cake and why not? We leave to leave the politics out of it and get this project up and running. No point in half doing it, put the pool in from the start. My previous posts were aimed mainly at field sports and sports I would be familiar with. Swimming is a great past time and a great way of taking exercise.

Advertisement