Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cottage Pie

Options
  • 29-10-2010 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

I'm going to be making a cottage pie for dinner tonight. I've come across a few recipes online, usually all involving the same ingredients- beef stock, wine, carrots, celery etc. I've just found one that uses a can of tomatoes - http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/food-drink/luxury-cottage-pie-1996270.html
    If I use a can of tomatoes in my cottage pie, will it taste like a spag bol sauce?!

I'm sure this is one of the simplest dishes to make, but I've never made one before so any advice appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭rylie

That recipe is very similar to one I make, you can't taste the tomatoes in the sauce at all but they definitely add flavour without being "tomatoey"

Enjoy, it's a perfect day for comfort food!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

There are a lot of people on here who swear by the tin of carrols vegetable soup method and I had to say its not bad at all.

I myself usually just grate an onion, stick of celery and a carrot. Brown my mince, remove to a place.add the veggies, sweat for a bit then add a teaspoon of tomatoe puree, deglaze with a red little wine or water, put the mince back in, stir in a teaspoon of flour and let that colour a little then crumble in an oxo cube or two, then add can of chopped tomatoes, a dash of worcester sauce, a handfull of peas and let that simmer for about 15 minutes and then top with mashed spuds and into the oven to brown for about 10 minutes. sometimes I'll add some grated cheese for the last 5 minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I'm going to be making a cottage pie for dinner tonight. I've come across a few recipes online, usually all involving the same ingredients- beef stock, wine, carrots, celery etc. I've just found one that uses a can of tomatoes
    Skip the tomatoes and add mushrooms (Oh, not the magic type, even if it is almost Halloween ;)).

Advertisement