Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Cameras in Donegal

Options
  • 29-10-2010 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Well folks. I was just reading the front page of the Donegal news and there was a story about the speed cameras (privately run) and their locations. Apparently one of the locations is between the Port Road Bridge and Bonagee rounabout.

It was my impression that these cameras were to be put in areas which were accident blackspots and had been the location of fatal/serious crashes?

Since I'm not from the area but use the road the odd time I was just wondering if this particular stretch of road was an accidental blackspot?

Or is this a part of road where they can make some cash by booking somebody driving a mile over the limit?

One of the other areas is between Bridgend and Buncrana which is a bad road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I would think that its the busiest stretch of road anywhere in the county given the volume of traffic entering the town from other areas.

Its not an accident black spot that I am aware of so yes, it is a financial exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Between the port road bridge and the bonagee roundabout is a 100km speed zone, therefore if anyone is speeding on it they deserve to be caught as there are lots of dangers along that stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭doc_17

muffler wrote: »
    I would think that its the busiest stretch of road anywhere in the county given the volume of traffic entering the town from other areas.

Its not an accident black spot that I am aware of so yes, it is a financial exercise.

Yeah that's what I thought but I would be in favour of a reduction in the sped limit there due to the volume of traffic.

I know the gardai were out on the Neil Blaney road about 6 weeks ago on a Monday morning at 1030 doing folks driving at 65km/h. Now that's a stinker to be doing that for a living!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

doc_17 wrote: »
    I know the gardai were out on the Neil Blaney road about 6 weeks ago on a Monday morning at 1030 doing folks driving at 65km/h. Now that's a stinker to be doing that for a living!
    Why ? Easiest job in the world :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

in Germany some years ago, some irresponsible, law breaking drivers used to loosen their number plates, so that they would vibrate while in motion, and the image would blurred on the speed-camera photo... *shakes head in shock and disgust*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

in Germany some years ago, some irresponsible, law breaking drivers used to loosen their number plates, so that they would vibrate while in motion, and the image would blurred on the speed-camera photo... *shakes head in shock and disgust*

....now where did i leave that screwdriver :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

nice trick - when I lived in Germany there was a spray you could buy that disturbed camera images too ;) although on the autobahns I used between Berlin and Hanover there was no need really given the speed limits :D

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

They are going to reduce the speed limit on that stretch. I'd say its a mopney making exercise like most of the speed cameras will be. The Govt say no but they aren't known for telling the truth in this country

It'll probably co-incide with this stretch limits being lowered and people will be badly caught out, probably deliberately timed

best getting a northern address, re-reg.ing your car (advantaging the once only VRT payment), paying a lower car tax and not getting the fine in the post....

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Agreed. I've been driving that stretch of dual carriageway a couple of times daily for nearly 20 years and the worst I've ever seen is a minor rear end shunt while a car was waiting to turn up Cullion Road.

The biggest hazzard on this stretch is some of the idiotic manoevres of drivers exiting the various businesses and attempting a right turn!!!
    sligopark wrote: »
    best getting a northern address, re-reg.ing your car (advantaging the once only VRT payment), paying a lower car tax and not getting the fine in the post....

I thought that fines and penalty points could now be issued between South and North??

• Advertisement

I thought that fines and penalty points could now be issued between South and North??

Nope and not for some time - despite all the talk - there is a disparity between the offences and resultant fines and points i.e., for some offfences in the south - its two points and an €80 fine - in the north 3 points and a £50 fine and/or court appearance - the only time there is any follow up I understand from the south is when the fine isn't paid.

A Northern chap I know living down here has had countless speeding tickets, paid them all, and hasn't a point ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I'm open to correction, but if you are convicted of a motoring offence that earns a ban in the North, the ban now also applies in the Republic, and vice versa. This doesn't apply to 'basic' speeding offences, but stuff like dangerous driving etc.

I think its for bans only but also open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I think its for bans only but also open to correction

If your banned, you dont hold a legal license, so it apply's worldwide. But the cross country penalty points haven't been introduced yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sorry guys, but we need to stay on the topic of the cameras.

Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sandt

does anyone know where the camera is supposed to be between bridgend and buncrana?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

sandt wrote: »
    does anyone know where the camera is supposed to be between bridgend and buncrana?

As far as i know the Garda website only tells you of the road they will possibly be on, not their exact locations, it would be pointless to do that! Sure stay under the speed limit and you'll have no bother :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

sandt wrote: »

The cop in charge of the area and where the cameras are going to be said on highland a week or so back that they'd be well sign posted in the areas where they are positioned, reason being they are looking to catch the people who arent paying attention on the road and dont see the sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dave_brent

Exactly if this an accident black spot the most logical step would be to lower the speed limit accordingly.

hi guys... heres a list of the locations where the new mobile speed detection cameras will be in operation around the county.

http://www.garda.ie/sez/Donegal.aspx

Each location here is a so called 'speed enforcement zone'.... so it doesn't mean that they have an individual camera for each area listed. They'll be raking it in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

They'll be raking it in!

only if you break the speed limit !

thanks though - was looking for that

Just checked that - all rural roads in Donegal (no mention of the number of accidents and fatalities) - checked the sligo roads - they are all national roads and only one with a history of fatal accidents (drumfin - castlebaldwin - ballinfad) - major money maker here in sligo - are the roads in Donegal covered many fatality routes?

Just checked that - all rural roads in Donegal (no mention of the number of accidents and fatalities) - checked the sligo roads - they are all national roads and only one with a history of fatal accidents (drumfin - castlebaldwin - ballinfad) - major money maker here in sligo - are the roads in Donegal covered many fatality routes?

Your way off the mark saying they are all rural roads, and some of the roads have had fatal accidents on them...

Barnsmore numerous accidents....Barnsmore

N13 not enough fingers to count fatalities)....N13

N15 outside Ballybofey (again numerous deaths)
    N15

Barnsmore, numerous deaths again.... Barnsmore 2

R242 (outside Quiglys point) multiple deaths....
    R242

Look the way i see these Camera's is that they will be a pain in the hole for sure, but it will slow people down (me included) and if it helps stop accidents i'm all for it, although some of the places where the cameras are at look to be money making location there really aint that many of them the most of them are known roads for accidents!

yep, if it helps reduce the number of accidents, and acts as a deterrent to speeding, then it can only be a positive thing.. Ive witnessed some crazy driving lately, especially in the Gap

Your way off the mark saying they are all rural roads, and some of the roads have had fatal accidents on them...

Barnsmore numerous accidents....Barnsmore

N13 not enough fingers to count fatalities)....N13

N15 outside Ballybofey (again numerous deaths)
    N15

Barnsmore, numerous deaths again.... Barnsmore 2

R242 (outside Quiglys point) multiple deaths....
    R242

Look the way i see these Camera's is that they will be a pain in the hole for sure, but it will slow people down (me included) and if it helps stop accidents i'm all for it, although some of the places where the cameras are at look to be money making location there really aint that many of them the most of them are known roads for accidents!

fair enough but have you looked at the roads covered from Sligo to Donegal? They have money written all over them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

From what I can see, both the RSA and the Gardaí are at pains to emphasise that the incentive here is getting people to slow down, not earn money (and even if it was, the country could do with it :)). I don't know how many times I heard Conor Faughnan say that the people manning these are being paid by the hour, not by the amount of fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

The roads listed in the above differ from the attached map on the Garda website

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=6497

So which is right?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I have looked at the map as well between sligo and donegal, and there are potentally 10 different points where I could meet a camera. But if your not speeding, you should have nothing to worry about. Just make sure you have slowed suffiecently when approaching town boundarys as this could be a spot where people could be caught out.

Well it seems that the link in the OP (http://www.garda.ie/sez/Donegal.aspx) was listing locations where you could meet a Gardai car with a hairdryer hanging out the window, they have since taken the map with them locations offline...

The map which PattheMetaller posted the link to (http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=6497) is the one where the mobile speed camera vans can be located, now there are far less locations listed on the map than the other link (the old camera locations) but a good few of the locations on the new map don't jump out at bring accident black spots, so most of them WILL BE money making locations :rolleyes:

Another question now comes to mind, will we now not see Gardai at the side of the road with the Hairdryer anymore or will they still do that too?

• Advertisement

I'd imagine they would continue the practice of hair-dryer-pointing... the sooner they pay for the new cameras, the sooner the takings will be net profit

Advertisement