Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Cameras in Donegal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I'd say you will see the hair driers and the tripods as well doing the random checks as well. At least with the hair drier you might just get a good talking too rather than the no questions fine and points that the vans will dish out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I'd imagine they would continue the practice of hair-dryer-pointing... the sooner they pay for the new cameras, the sooner the takings will be net profit
    irish-stew wrote: »
    I'd say you will see the hair driers and the tripods as well doing the random checks as well. At least with the hair drier you might just get a good talking too rather than the no questions fine and points that the vans will dish out.

Yeah True, only ever been caught speeding the once, it was on the Muff moville road when it was 80KPH, the guy who stopped me was giving me the ticket either way i think, he spoke to me to ask for my license + then to say there's your ticket that was it, no chance of getting off with a warning there!

Anyways, has anyone actually seen any of these vans in Donegal yet? I see in other forums they are out in force (all different types of vans / colors too, not just the usual transit) but yet to hear of one being seen in Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Haven't seen them yet, but i did see pictures of them on the news and they seemed to be well marked. Unlike the old white transit they used before that which had no markings what-so-ever. At least if its marked and you were speeding, you'll know there'll be a fine in the post.

I friend of mine on facebook posted this up a few minutes ago, i hope they are all as visible as this!

155277_467857362247_790547247_5546283_7067535_n.jpg

155433_467857292247_790547247_5546281_7674838_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

pffft if anyone is caught by a van marked like that they deserve to be caught IMO as they couldn't be paying much attention to the road if they don't see it.

• Advertisement

bmw535d wrote: »
    pffft if anyone is caught by a van marked like that they deserve to be caught IMO as they couldn't be paying much attention to the road if they don't see it.

I know.... that coupled with the fact that they are supposed to have a sign 100 meters up the road in either direction telling you there is a gatso van up ahead, lol.

P.S> im too used to the first button below a post (on the right being quote) but its now edit! therefore i edited the above post by mistake, oops apoligies :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

at least they will slow traffic in areas where excessive speed is killing

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

P.S> im too used to the first button below a post (on the right being quote) but its now edit! therefore i edited the above post by mistake, oops apoligies :o
    facepalm_7.jpg

The joys of being a mod :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

bmw535d wrote: »

However, the equipment in the van is supposed to have a range of 1000 metres, so if the road is straight enough, you could be caught before you're close enough to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

The biggest hazzard on this stretch is some of the idiotic manoevres of drivers exiting the various businesses and attempting a right turn!!!

Yes I see that a lot! Also its 100k road people doing 60k in the overtaking lane while there are no traffic in the slow lane .. also 2 lanes of traffic which means YES.. YES of course you have to look & indicate when changing lanes. I was doing 100kph when a car pulled out in front of me doing 60kph without indicating or looking ... I just about got slowed down. People switching lanes on the corner after the roundabout too without looking:rolleyes: BEWARE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

2 threads on same topic merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

So any sign of any of these vans in the County yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

On the same day they introduced the cameras, they reduced the speed limit (100kmph - 60kmph) on strech of road between top of the Mountcharles bypass to Inver bridge; tell me it's not a money making enterprise....

Firblog wrote: »
    On the same day they introduced the cameras, they reduced the speed limit (100kmph - 60kmph) on strech of road between top of the Mountcharles bypass to Inver bridge; tell me it's not a money making enterprise....

Seriously is that not a duel carrigeway on one side? if its the same road i'm thinking on i can't see any reason for it being reduced! Typical

Yeah, on the hill leading up to Kelly's toyota garage there is an overtaking lane, 'nuff said....

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Seriously is that not a duel carrigeway on one side? if its the same road i'm thinking on i can't see any reason for it being reduced! Typical

And low and behold, said stretch of road is marked red on the garda map ;)

Also, the R245 Letterkenny to Ramelton from LYIT to halfway up the hill to Tara Court is a safety camera zone; never saw any accident on that stretch that were worse than a shunt.

N56 from Mountain Top Roundabout to the bottom of the Blue Banks!!! One of the best roads in the county. And they say it isn't a revenue generating exercise :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamh1975

That speed limit reduction has been in place for weeks now. Thought it was temporary due to the roadworks but obviously not. What is the point in there being an overtaking lane if you can't go over 60km/h?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Was the speed limit going through Newton always 60 kph? On the main road going past Kernans.

Was the speed limit going through Newton always 60 kph? On the main road going past Kernans.

Nope its only Temp for the roadworks Afink....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Nope its only Temp for the roadworks Afink....

If you go through there now though there's the official looking speed signs up, before the bend going into Newton from the Derry direction and up to where the roadworks currently are at the Letterkenny end......I travel this road 3 times a week and the first I was aware of them was Wed!

• Advertisement

If you go through there now though there's the official looking speed signs up, before the bend going into Newton from the Derry direction and up to where the roadworks currently are at the Letterkenny end......I travel this road 3 times a week and the first I was aware of them was Wed!

I sure hope not! they usually put up 60KPH sign's where the road works start (i came through main street not the main road) but from the junction at the end of the main street till the junction with the top of my road, the smaller 100 KPH signs (you know the reminder signs) and the white square speed camera warning sign just after the first bad corner after the main street junction, were covered with black bags and tapped up....

But you never know they could be imposing a 60KPH speed limit to go past kernans you'd never know, judging by what they done in Mountcharles, anything is possible no matter how silly it is!

Sorry folks, made a mistake there (listened to what others told me... ) the speed limit is indeed reduced on that strech of road outside Mountcharles, 100kph - 60kph, but only as far as Kelly's garage, which is a bad strech of road... I'd have rathered a reduction to 80kph myself but was never consulted as usual :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 girly girl

muffler wrote: »
    I would think that its the busiest stretch of road anywhere in the county given the volume of traffic entering the town from other areas.

Its not an accident black spot that I am aware of so yes, it is a financial exercise.
    sorry only seen this now yeah thats a black spot a friend of mine was in an accident at the bridge about ten years ago and lost his life

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

I hear the Garda Traffic Corps will still be doing speed checks. I'd like to see some of them redeployed to encourage good driving behaviour, stopping slow drivers who hold up 10 cars for example. They also could be deployed at Traffic Lights, Box Junctions and Roundabouts to enforce traffic laws there.

Driving is all about behaviour and other things need attention in this country not just speeding

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

aren't the multiple road traffic fatalities in Co Donegal due to speeding, but?

Why get so worked up about speed cameras showing that someone somewhere is trying to do something about it?

Durnish wrote: »
    aren't the multiple road traffic fatalities in Co Donegal due to speeding, but?

Why get so worked up about speed cameras showing that someone somewhere is trying to do something about it?

Were not really if they put all the van's in places that are known Accident spots i'd be all for it but, some of the locations are quite clearly only for making money! Whats worse is the camera operators don't get paid extra depending on the fines they issue or anything, they get paid a wage like anyone else , so the money is going straight into the State.....

Me personally have said a few times in the thread i'm all for it if it reduces accidents deaths, but not that many of the locations on that map give the impression that thats what they are trying to do TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

One parked right now on donegal town bypass on stretch between millpark and lidl. :)

All clear now 13.27

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

irish1967 wrote: »
    One parked right now on donegal town bypass on stretch between millpark and lidl. :)

All clear now 13.27

didn't even think that stretch of road was one of the ones listed.

Nice stretch with a hollow, easy to build up the speed even by accident going that hill. Not a money making sceme my hole.

:rolleyes:

Anyone know if these vans/cameras work @ the weekend? Drove from Boyle to Donegal town no sign of any, friend went from Donegal to Letterkenny and again none... Anyone know the story with them?

• Advertisement

Anyone know if these vans/cameras work @ the weekend? Drove from Boyle to Donegal town no sign of any, friend went from Donegal to Letterkenny and again none... Anyone know the story with them?

Million dollar Question....

The map above shows approximative locations but times and dates they could be at any one of the locations all around the country...

Advertisement