Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another harsh winter

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Another thing to keep in mind is on some days last winter it rarely got above freezing so a dog's water bowl in those temps is going to be frozen pretty much all the time. Hopefully we won't get the same winter this year but last year I was putting out water for the birds and even putting out warm water it was frozen in no time at all. So unless this owner is going to want to go outside every hour or two to unfreeze a water bowl I suggest they figure out a way to keep that in a warm spot as well.

If you made up a sort of box (maybe the size of a pizza box) out of thin wood with a hatch at one end you could put a snugglesafe pad in it and place the water bowl on top of that, they say they last up to 10 hours but I wouldn't say they'd last that long in freezing temperatures. It might keep the chill out of the water enough to stop it freezing solid. How do others with outdoor dogs cope with freezing water bowls during the winter? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Another thing to keep in mind is on some days last winter it rarely got above freezing so a dog's water bowl in those temps is going to be frozen pretty much all the time. Hopefully we won't get the same winter this year but last year I was putting out water for the birds and even putting out warm water it was frozen in no time at all. So unless this owner is going to want to go outside every hour or two to unfreeze a water bowl I suggest they figure out a way to keep that in a warm spot as well.

If you made up a sort of box (maybe the size of a pizza box) out of thin wood with a hatch at one end you could put a snugglesafe pad in it and place the water bowl on top of that, they say they last up to 10 hours but I wouldn't say they'd last that long in freezing temperatures. It might keep the chill out of the water enough to stop it freezing solid. How do others with outdoor dogs cope with freezing water bowls during the winter? :confused:

last year i used a slate type thing that my sister had in the shop,, you heat it in microwave and stays warm for 4 hours, i dont really use bowls now as i have the kennel plumed up for water. i have insulated all the pipes so hopefully it will work out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Did the kennel with Jennifer work out? Have you checked the adverts.ie?

http://www.adverts.ie/showcat.php?cat=9&si=kennel&sort=10&stype=&limit=&ppuser=&county=&perpage=30

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thats a great site actually - I hadn't looked there. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would treat the eco friendly & warm for winter comments in the ads with healthy scepticism. You're hardly going to advertise a kennel as cold & draughty !. Also I am wary of the designer ones that look like little summer houses but may be just as cold as a normal kennel.

Simple physics dictate that if you don't add heat then you rely on the heat output of the animal. Also that the smaller the amount of air that has to be heated the less heat that will be required. The worry for any kennel designer is the fine line between creating a small space & allowing enough ventilation/room to turn. Any cold air that is allowed in will cool the dog but it needs enough to breath & not get a build up of CO2.

But anything is going to be better than nothing & again well done for caring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

I and other neighbors boldly started taking in my neighbors dog on cold winters nights, he was very happy curled up by the fire with us. if you believe a dog is endangered you could have the dog taken anonymously to a shelter for adoption. Now, sheet metal bent into a big tube to fit the dog, like a capsule, pushed into anywhere in the shed, like on a wooden pallet is great because it conducts the dog's body heat. please do something, it will cost some money but think of all the cold nights of anguish you'll endure this winter knowing that the poor thing is suffering. sorry to be a drama queen. i board dogs in my home now. I wish I had some cash to help all the cold dogs this winter. Go on Youtube and view ideas of warming the place up. i just bought a big plastic bin for twenty and a roll of silver insulation sheeting and lined the inside of the bin with it then cut a big whole for cats to find refuge from the cold and rain. they love it. as they snuggle their heat bounces off the walls and back onto their bodies. god i'm clever. good luck. keep in touch. i have many ideas of how to figure this out. This recession sucks so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Some good ideas there. Thanks

Advertisement