Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any iRacing folks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Can ye give me some advice for starting off,,
    For a guy who has never used a wheel & pedals or clutch before,
    how would ye recommend me to start my iRacing carear,,

my wheel should be hear monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

1. MX5 at Lime Rock, watch some of the training videos of this combination. Lime Rock is a short track, few braking points to remember, so this is a great first track to learn. Don't let it fool you into thinking its an easy track, it isn't.
    2. Do some test laps, then into practice.
    3. Don't be in a rush to do your first race, do a few time trials first, when you can keep consistent pace, try and race.
    4. Don't get concerned with being a few seconds off the fast pace. Keeping it on the black stuff by being consistent will get you in the top 5 in most races.
    5. For all corners on all tracks, slow in, fast out.
    6. Don't forget to breath in your first race, as passing out will result in a crash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Squidwert

Thumb's up for No. 6 i do that a lot:)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭c0rn3y

Hahaha I had a friend do number "6" in the early days of Quake =)

@Grim: How do you export a lap chart like that? That would be nice to look at.

I have been racing away at Lime Rock with the MX5 only so far, really want to get used to the sim before I get into more cars/tracks. I have it hard getting a lap under 1.01, I am normally always under 1.02 but never under 1.01. Have to keep training I guess and maybe look at some more replays.

I have been looking but I cannot really find any setups for the MX5, are most MX5 race/practice/tt/qualify fixed setup? I have no idea how to sort setups and will maybe have to learn I guess. =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

its just a copy paste of my lap chart from the results page and re setup I'm racing in the iRacing Mazda cup which is a fixed setup, I'm using the mx5 cup instead of the roadster (I find the roadster far to unstable)

don't know if this video will be any use to you but this is one of my better laps (also displays some of my dodgy driving style :P )

Thanks GRIM, and you don't have a dodgy driving style at all.

Did my first TT today and I didn't really look that much when I joined, I was thinking that it was Lime Rock... boy was I wrong hehe.

Not really fast as you can see but for one of the first times ever on the track I am happy. Still many seconds slower than nearly everyone I have seen but hey I am having fun =)

+0.06 YAY!! My first baby steps hehe.

Mazda Cup - 2012 Season 1
    2012-02-21 7:14 pm

Okayama International Circuit - Short Course
    # Time Comments
    0 - -:- -.- - -
    1 01:12.665
    2 01:06.797
    3 01:06.337
    4 01:05.373
    5 01:05.555
    6 01:05.336
    7 01:04.774
    8 01:04.278
    9 01:08.834 off track
    10 01:05.644
    11 01:04.684
    12 01:04.950
    13 01:04.655
    14 01:04.777
    15 01:04.891
    16 01:06.503
    17 01:04.793
    18 01:04.146 fastest lap
    19 01:04.907 off track
    20 01:04.478
    21 01:05.881

woooohoooo,,just won my first race and it was in the legends,,,lapped everybody in the race,,thanks to all of them wrecking eachother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭_HULK_SMASH!

Well done Rossi IRL, still have to win my first one, second is my best so far...

Delighted with myself having been promoted out of the rookie class last night...

Now hold a "D" Licence, going to be racing more this weekend, wasted a couple of weeks there by not racing :)

Well done Rossi IRL, still have to win my first one, second is my best so far...

Delighted with myself having been promoted out of the rookie class last night...

Now hold a "D" Licence, going to be racing more this weekend, wasted a couple of weeks there by not racing :)

ye man i got promoted last night aswell to D in the ovals,,what series are you doing now that your D

Thats funny! I was trying to find out what i'm eligible for this morning, but work got in the way :p

I like the idea of tin tops! really like the look of the Reilly or the Corvette, are you going to stick with Ovals? Nascar maybe? What were you running in Rookie?

• Advertisement

ye im a nascar fan but this month ill be getting the road license up so i can do the skip barbers,,but iv been doing ovals so ill try out the d classs ovals and see if i like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Have to say all my experience has been on "road courses", but I quite enjoyed the oval experience in iRacing. Something new to learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

just ordered a trustmaster t500rs from overclockers.co.uk today, might see some you on iracing sometime :)

Nice stuff A+-Guru, hope to see you on the track =)

"The Cadillac CTS-V will be released for free to all iRacing members when it joins our virtual garage this spring!"

ooh, free car :)

add me as a friend guys, maybe we can get together for some irish ownage

http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/CareerStats.do?custid=87667

usa speedway was free today aswell,,ill add you now

i accepted you ross, but you then disappeared and are not coming up in my friend list, not sure what happened..

i went offline

• Advertisement

ah that explains it, I wasn't aware offline friends dont show, still trying to wade myself around the iracing site, its so cluttered lol

Added you A+ See you on track!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

been driving sebring the last few days in the HPD epic car and an epic track very enjoyable best time is only a 1:48 dead with sebring fixed setup (fast guys are hitting 1:45:500)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LaminatorSGL

Grim. wrote: »
    been driving sebring the last few days in the HPD epic car and an epic track very enjoyable best time is only a 1:48 dead with sebring fixed setup (fast guys are hitting 1:45:500)
    My first time in HPD. Raced in the same series last season in the Corvette which was great fun. Can't wait for the 2HR event on Sunday. Got a quali time of 1:47.1 using the fixed setup and low fuel of course. Some ridiculous times being set for pole, must be with a draft.

Also, Donington Park has been announced for next year, one of my favourite tracks :D

Iracing gets a RUf (Porsche);)
    2wd version
    ApBGD3VCQAACU4G.jpg

yay.gif

won my first road race today in the mx5,,, won by over 35 seconds aswell after 1st and 2nd were destroyed by a car they were lapping

• Advertisement

Nice one Rossi. It should be not so hard to get the next one now.
    And the second bit of good news. Bathurst to arrive in 2013

should be fun going around bathurst

I cannot wait for Bathurst, hopefully they can also get Holden in as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

three months for price of one month at the moment, worth a try? any extra cars/tracks I should buy? Starting to get back into racing world and enjoying rfactor alot :)

i would use what they give you and get promoted to the class you want to race in befor buying anything,,,i jumped the gun and bought loads of content when i was a rookie and i regret doing than

• Advertisement

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    i would use what they give you and get promoted to the class you want to race in befor buying anything,,,i jumped the gun and bought loads of content when i was a rookie and i regret doing than

+1 Plenty to be doing with the base content.

does iRacing accept laser cards lads,,,i fancy a new car and track

does iRacing accept laser cards lads,,,i fancy a new car and track

Yes with Ultimate pay, Click Account Recharge at the top of the main page and you should be able to do it that way. I don't know how its done thou so let me know how you get on. It will save me having to put funds on my credit card.

Squidwert wrote: »
    Yes with Ultimate pay, Click Account Recharge at the top of the main page and you should be able to do it that way. I don't know how its done thou so let me know how you get on. It will save me having to put funds on my credit card.

i didnt go with it in the end...i didnt trust it.. i did top up with my 3v card so i can now download some things...

any advice on what to download,,i was thinking the lotus 79 and some tracks

never mind.. i ended up buying the:

• Lotus 79
    • Williams F1
    • Mid-Ohio
    • Mosport
    • Road America
    • Road Atlanta
    • Sebring
    • Suzuka
    • Watkins Glen

Ouch 58 mins remaining

ooo let me know what the wiliams f1 is like, was one of the main reasons I bought the game was because of the f1 and hearing how customizable it is.
    About to start my first race in 10mins, this will be interesting :p

Well, first one went terrible. Spun out guy hit me head on at about 80mph and completly wrecked my car so I quit. Just completed my second race there and came 3rd :D well chuffed with the result :D. God this is so addicting, I've tried quite alot of racing games + sims but nothing gets your heart racing like this does. It needs constant concentration, unlike rfactor or gt5 where I have a music playlist I stick on when I do a race haha

have not tried the f1 yet but that lotus 79 is amazing,,, its so easy to drive

won my second road race today,,, thats 2 in 3 days,, i went a few months with no wins.

1 from the pits and 1 from the pole.

i got +0.17 for my sr

That's great Rossi, well done! I've just re-subbed for a month, want to get back into this, downloading the updates now, want to try the caddy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭robk24

never mind.. i ended up buying the:

• Lotus 79
    • Williams F1
    • Mid-Ohio
    • Mosport
    • Road America
    • Road Atlanta
    • Sebring
    • Suzuka
    • Watkins Glen

Ouch 58 mins remaining

How much did these cost, if you dont mind me asking...?

robk24 wrote: »
    How much did these cost, if you dont mind me asking...?

i'd say about €60/€70 there should be a promotion soon where you get a years sub for $49/€39

most cars are $12 and track are $15,, but there is a bulk offer .

i think its 10% off for 4 to 6 items ,,,20% off for 6-8 items and 25% off for 8+ items

want to try the caddy!

i tried it in 1 race at mosport and i rage quitted for the first time on iracing

i tried it in 1 race at mosport and i rage quitted for the first time on iracing

I've been practising with it all day and I have to say I love it! I still have the base package so its the first powerful car I've driven in the sim, I have to say I prefer more powerful cars, slower cars put so much emphasis on being inch perfect, I prefer having an advantage with throttle modulation, plus, driving slower cars, i feel like i'm straining every muscle just willing the damn thing down the straights lol.

Having said that, haven't raced the Caddy yet, if I find that i'm miles off the pace I might push too hard and spin out on every corner! That might not be so much fun..

I've been practising with it all day and I have to say I love it! I still have the base package so its the first powerful car I've driven in the sim, I have to say I prefer more powerful cars, slower cars put so much emphasis on being inch perfect, I prefer having an advantage with throttle modulation, plus, driving slower cars, i feel like i'm straining every muscle just willing the damn thing down the straights lol.

Having said that, haven't raced the Caddy yet, if I find that i'm miles off the pace I might push too hard and spin out on every corner! That might not be so much fun..

have i got you added on iRacing???

Search for Clive Lomax, that's me!

Just tried the Caddy around Laguna for about 5 laps, man, she's a big bitch to get slowed down! did a 1.31 something, Squidwert is down in the 1.26's man! that boys quick, my lines were a bit all over the shop but still!...

Just remembered how realistic it looks again, it might cost money, but its the best out there I think...

Just tried the Caddy around Laguna for about 5 laps, man, she's a big bitch to get slowed down! did a 1.31 something, Squidwert is down in the 1.26's man! that boys quick, my lines were a bit all over the shop but still!...

Just remembered how realistic it looks again, it might cost money, but its the best out there I think...

the way the sim feals is just great,,the base back is worth the money but the extras are a bit steep,,

i added you

Cheers Rossi

• Advertisement

lol i'm not that quick i have my optimal down to 24.9(my pedals need some adjusting for braking) but the fast guy's are doing low 23's it's an awesome car.

Advertisement