Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocked Fireplace/Chimney

• 29-10-2010 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi

I have covered over a fireplace opening with plasterboard when renovating an old house as the flue in the chimney is cracked and hence i cant light a fire in it until I repair the flue.

i did not block the chimney up with anything.

i was wondering what i am best doing now as i dont plan to open up the fireplace anytime soon?

should i just put a vent in the wall where fireplace is to allow ventilation?

will this do the job??
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Arddon wrote: »
    Hi

I have covered over a fireplace opening with plasterboard when renovating an old house as the flue in the chimney is cracked and hence i cant light a fire in it until I repair the flue.

i did not block the chimney up with anything.

i was wondering what i am best doing now as i dont plan to open up the fireplace anytime soon?

should i just put a vent in the wall where fireplace is to allow ventilation?

will this do the job??
    thanks

As well as the vent in the plasterboard, which is essential, I would put a cowl on the chimney to stop the rain coming down the flue.

Advertisement