Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

camera repair

• 29-10-2010 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Does anyone know if this guy is still in action ? ive tried ringing but got no answer. Ive got a samsun st50 and was dropped mid shot so the small of the two barels is now crooked slightly so it wont unzoom or turn on, it just beeps. Is there anything that can be done that wont cost the earth does anyone know?

Alan Mc Donnell
    Camera Repair Centre
    147 Harmonstown Road,
    Artane,
    Dublin 5.
    Ph: 087-1350345
    E-Mail alan147@eircom.net

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'll probably find that that camera is more expensive to repair than to replace, unfortunately. zerohamster on here does camera repairs, though, and would be better positioned to tell you what might be required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Yes, Alan is still in business.

However, try calling his colleague Declan on 086 6684400.

They did a great job for me on a Hasselblad back only 6-8 weeks ago.
    laurief wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this guy is still in action ? ive tried ringing but got no answer. Ive got a samsun st50 and was dropped mid shot so the small of the two barels is now crooked slightly so it wont unzoom or turn on, it just beeps. Is there anything that can be done that wont cost the earth does anyone know?

Alan Mc Donnell
    Camera Repair Centre
    147 Harmonstown Road,
    Artane,
    Dublin 5.
    Ph: 087-1350345
    E-Mail alan147@eircom.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 laurief

yeah i was thinking that, its usually the case wit point and shoot cameras. I though it might be worth someone lookin at it in the event that its just a matter of readjusting the barrel , give it a knock back into place and itl be fine. I love this camera and ill be gutted if it cant be saved. there is a place on dame street to buy they want 20 bills just to look at it.

Ok ill give Declan a shot now thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've used clive mcdonald (mcdonnell?) for repairs, and was very happy with the service. he's also out artane direction.

i got through to declan there so he is gonna look into it and get back to me.
    :)

• Advertisement

yeah declan and Alan just do general repairs, i havnt even bothered getting out the waranty. I dropped the camera so no point it wont be covered.!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

No point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ciarabarry

hi all,

got a new camera (sony dsc-w320) about a month ago. around 2 weeks ago the camera got wet and when i turned it on the buttons were all messed up ( power button went onto the photos taken and delete button wouldnt work ) tried drying the camera out but no luck. now the camera wont even turn on. my dad purchased the camera in switzerland, i was wondering where do i stand on repairs (cost, warantee). I live in cork so im just wondering can i bring it into the sony shop in patrick street and they could send it away to be repaired?

thanks a million for the help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

ciarabarry wrote: »
    hi all,

got a new camera (sony dsc-w320) about a month ago. around 2 weeks ago the camera got wet and when i turned it on the buttons were all messed up ( power button went onto the photos taken and delete button wouldnt work ) tried drying the camera out but no luck. now the camera wont even turn on. my dad purchased the camera in switzerland, i was wondering where do i stand on repairs (cost, warantee). I live in cork so im just wondering can i bring it into the sony shop in patrick street and they could send it away to be repaired?

thanks a million for the help :)

Hi Ciara,
    when you say wet do you mean submersed in liquid (what liquid?) or splashed/in rain etc...? on a side note if it is salt water damage then they will not repair it as salt water is corrosive and the camera will most likely fail from damage to other circuit boards that have corroded over time.

Water damage will not be covered by warranty as it is not a manufacturing fault and most commonly will be either sent back or not worth the repair cost that a manufacturer will want for it.
    I do repairs and could take a look for you if you wanted?
    PM me for details if you are interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 snapshotcass

Hi Ciara,
    when you say wet do you mean submersed in liquid (what liquid?) or splashed/in rain etc...? on a side note if it is salt water damage then they will not repair it as salt water is corrosive and the camera will most likely fail from damage to other circuit boards that have corroded over time.

Water damage will not be covered by warranty as it is not a manufacturing fault and most commonly will be either sent back or not worth the repair cost that a manufacturer will want for it.
    I do repairs and could take a look for you if you wanted?
    PM me for details if you are interested.

Hi Chiara,
    This just might be a long shot, moisture plays havoc with the curcuits in your camera even a small exposure. Try placing the camera in a bag of rice for two days as rice has an ability to seek out the dampness and draw it out of the camera,. It worth a shot, just wrap it in kitchen tissue first. this also can work on phones etc. Good luck.
    Oh, dont boil the rise!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Hi Chiara,
    This just might be a long shot, moisture plays havoc with the curcuits in your camera even a small exposure. Try placing the camera in a bag of rice for two days as rice has an ability to seek out the dampness and draw it out of the camera,. It worth a shot, just wrap it in kitchen tissue first. this also can work on phones etc. Good luck.
    Oh, dont boil the rise!!!!

Rice is a great idea but only if its just happened within a day or so unfortunately. if the liquid is anything other then water then rice will dry it out but wont get rid of high resistance or conductive left over contaminant which requires cleaning (usually why the fault occurs from shorting).

Advertisement