Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home network query

• 29-10-2010 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey guys

Does anyone know of a programme / application that can assist with seeing what devices are actually attached to your home network? I'm on my Windows 7 laptop and the generic network programme within the Control Panel isn't particularly helpful. It seems to only give details of the actual PC's / laptops that are on the network.

Is there no programme that shows you all devices, i.e. iPhone, internet radio's, a wired console etc? I cant see their info in the existing programme.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ladgie353

Assuming you have a router, the management interface should have a list of attached devices.
    That would normally include anything connected to it, PC or other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

ladgie353 wrote: »
    Assuming you have a router, the management interface should have a list of attached devices.
    That would normally include anything connected to it, PC or other.

Yes, this is good advice, you will be able to see all the attached devices including their host name (user-pc, billys netbook etc.) plus their mac address and lan IP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,268 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network Map

However that will only show you what the Computer can see, and thats usually just whats in the Work Group.

To see all of your Internet Radios, Skype Phones, etc. You need to enter your Router as Ladgie says and go to the management page and identify each device on your network by IP Adress. Those adresses will all be generic, like 192.168.1.101, 102, 103, etc. To make it easy you can assign Static IPs to your Computers to identify them easier - anything between .100 and .255

Plenty of guides online (eHow, etc) to show you that, based on your Operating systems, and router.

Unfortunately I can't think of any PC based program that does what you're asking, that kind of thing is handled at the Admin-level in your Router's firmware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,400 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

http://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/

is a good small, free program that will scan your network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 martinAD71

http://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/

is a good small, free program that will scan your network

+1 on this I have used many times, its great for finding devices on the network

• Advertisement

that program has me worried now.

I scanned it and it shows the downstairs PC as PC1 but my own PC is shown as PC2.sc.rr.com - sc.rr.com is my ISP's domain. Very strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Overheal wrote: »
    that program has me worried now.

I scanned it and it shows the downstairs PC as PC1 but my own PC is shown as PC2.sc.rr.com - sc.rr.com is my ISP's domain. Very strange.

.....because its set as the domain on the router/modem, its giving Your pc a dhcp lease

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    .....because its set as the domain on the router/modem, its giving Your pc a dhcp lease
    but not a lease to my other pc on the internet?

Advertisement